Training Notes: Wednesday 13th February

You have Brown twice :grinning:

And Laverde and Baguley are b22

1 Like

burp

6 Likes

Personally I hope we don’t go with two rucks.

I expect outside an injury/rest to BC he will play predominantly VFL.

Very good coverage to have though.

2 Likes

see above

2 Likes

The ball is going to keep moving forward like a tsunami should be hard to stop wont give teams time to set up a zone defence.

So, you don’t think Ridley is in the frame or you have him in your best 22?

It’s a good thing Devon’s bicep has been so badly damaged he may not play Round 1.
Otherwise he might have really hurt that nice bloke Zlarke.

6 Likes

Not that, but I just answered the question exactly as it were put.
I think Ridley has a lot of talent and is maybe half a season away. The bolded names are pretty much best 22 calibre. The rest are further than Ridley. Just vague opinion, really. And has a lot to do with injuries and structure, anyway.

3 Likes

yep. It should go up a notch this year. It’ll be exciting to watch.

I also want to see how we respond and adapt our playing style when things are not going our way and the opposition gets a run on. That has hurt us numerous times, that inability to stop a run of unanswered goals against us. We need to develop strategies to stem a run on, and get ourselves back into the contest. That defensive stuff they have been doing with Rutten is going to be important.

1 Like

ha - he punched with his right and then his left. All good to go.

1 Like

Is long being groomed for a half back role in case of injury? Or are they trying to add more strings to his bow?
Would McNeice still be ahead of him as a backup small defender?
Or is the back six pretty much

B: Saad Hooker Francis
HB: McKenna Hurley Ambrose

Ambrose in for now as lock down defender.
Ridley as first backup
Gleeson if he gets back potentially takes that slot offAmbrose at some stage.

Then McNeice and Long

So a “knock to the biceps” is bugger all, a “knock to the knee”, now that’s likely to be real bad.

Plus Redman, I would have thought, as soon as he is good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks. So our midfielder depth is a bit thin at this stage? We will need to shuffle the mids and some positional players if we lose key mids.

Sure we have good players like Marty, Fridge and Redman, but they are underdone right now 10 days out from the JLT but might just make it for Round 1, but be short of match practice.

Essendon continues to put in the hard work this pre-season, completing another intense hitout at The Hangar on Wednesday.

The players completed full-ground match simulation before pushing through a series of running drills in a long-lasting session, with their JLT Community Series opener against Carlton (Ikon Park, February 28) just two weeks away.

Below is a selection of the club’s snaps from today’s training.

Adam Saad.

Tom Jok.

Aaron Francis.

David Zaharakis and Dylan Clarke.

David Myers and Zach Merrett.

Darcy Parish and David Zaharakis.

Matt Guelfi.

Dylan Shiel.

Darcy Parish.

Kyle Langford.

Andy McGrath.

Devon Smith.

14 Likes

15 days. Might help.

2 Likes

Well from the bunch you listed, I have Clarke and Mutch as potential midfielders not bolded. To me, Laverde will swing in and out of mid like Stringer and Langers. Interestingly, Myers has been playing more mid/fwd this pre-season, instead of mid/back.

Mids & semi-mids:
McGrath
Parish
Langford
Smith
Merret
Shiel
Zaka
Laverde
Begley
Mutch
Hepp
Myers
Stringer
Clarke
Mynott
Jok

I don’t think it looks too shallow.

3 Likes

Awesome report deckham! Question during the match simulation stuff have the boys being bringing the defensive pressure like last year?

Have we improved our kicking to our leading forwards?

Surely he’s on medication or something that’s making him look so chunky?

2 Likes