Training Notes: Wednesday 13th February

That’s unfair. He’s lost a lot of weight. Definitely around the head, his cap’s too big

3 Likes

A lot more intensity overall than last year. Possibly due to Rutten’s influence, I’m not sure. But this pre-season began with micro-adjustments - body-on-body stuff, using weight transfer, momentum, touch. It’s progressed to being part of general match-sim. The boys seem to be hyped up. I mean - they are always hyped up, but there does seem top be a bit of more mongrel in the team right now.

13 Likes

Yeah I think they worked that out last season. Myers is actually quite reliable in front of goals. Even has a decent right foot snap on him.

The North game is a good example of his effectiveness as a forward.

6 Likes

During match sim, did the kick ins look much different?
Were we playing on and running out of the square most of the time?
What defensive adjustments, if any, did you see (eg two defending the top of the square at the mandated 10m limit, to prevent a free run out)?

11 Likes

We’ve gone from ‘who’s gonna score’ to ‘everyone forward’ pretty quickly.

Only took ten years to work out Myers can’t play defense.

12 Likes

I should have, but didn’t, take enough notice of this. Kick outs looked to me to be mainly straight up within a 30 degree arc. I’d draw a pic, but…

1 Like

EXCELLENT!

I was so hoping you would say that. I honestly believe if we can take the pressure that we were putting on the opposition last year and turn it up a notch it will go a long way to us making top 4 and having a legit crack at a flag.

Great to hear they are working on the body on body stuff as well.

I wish I could give your post another like!

2 Likes

Seems like they flogged them today. Unusual as Monday and Friday are the main sessions IIRC

Probably really loading them up in heavy training phase before backing off for/during JLT.

Thanks Deckham. I think we are starting to get a real feel for the way we want to play this year.

In the gallery there are a 2-3 pics of players who look spent. Match hardening process underway, as best it can be.

D Clarke has near perfect skin.

1 Like

He’ll put a tag when the damage is done and the game is out of reach.

- I…I don’t know what I was thinking. They weren’t actually taken.
- It’s alright, mate.

2 Likes

I actually think the key area for improvement for us is improving our ball movement against the best pressure in the comp.

2 Likes

What are people’s thoughts on the value of doing match sim at night to match night games? Ditto for twilight and arvo times.

Body clock and mental state etc will be different through the day. We tend to have similar times for our training and match sims.

9 Likes

bravo wim

Don’t think we have lights do we?

He’s even wearing a long sleeve top like a fat kid at the swimming pool.

3 Likes

Correct. The games we lost in the run home were against the better sides who were able to shut down our ball movement and force turnovers out of defense. Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood. We didn’t lose through lack of pressure, we lost through breakdown of forward structure and ball movement. Still far and away our biggest area of need for improvement.

6 Likes