Training report - 2018-11-19 - All of the players

OK a bit more about the session today.

It started at 10.00 sharp and went for 2 hours with all the players off the track by 12.00. It was quite warm, about 28 degrees by midday with a breeze but not as strong as it sometimes gets.

It certainly wasn’t a flat out session, more of a first day back easing everyone back in.

None of the modified group looked particularly hampered, Gleeson I noted showed no signs at all of his injury and moved very well, as did Begley. I also couldn’t see anything particularly wrong with Daniher but I really didn’t spend too long watching any of the modified group very much.

Smack was with the main group for the entire session and looked very good, he seemed completely recovered from his hamstring.

A number of players left after 45-60 minutes, most of the modified group along with Smith (who didn’t join in any drills or the modified group) Shiel and Stewart.

At one stage different groups of players rotated through where Ben Rutten was taking a drill near the boundary line, near where I was standing. It was very interesting hearing him give a very detailed explanation of what he wanted the players to do. There was an attacking player running near the boundary with a tackling bag and the defender had to tackle him and attempt to force him over the boundary. It sounds simple but he gave very clear, concise and very technical details of exactly how he wanted the players to go about. I was very impressed with his communication and the depth of detail. If that’s an example I think we may have picked up an excellent line coach here.

It was great to see Shiel out there, nothing much to report except at one stage he sprinted forward in a drill and I was very surprised at how fast and smooth he moved.

A few impression of the conditions of some of the players:

• Gleeson didn’t look like he had bulked up particularly, the same with Begley.
  • Francis, Stringer and Hartley all look is if they have shed weight around the midriff. Francis in particularly looks terrific, he looks much more athletic than in the past. We may have to order a lot more carriages for the bandwagon.
  • Bellchambers looks very big and Draper is now a very solidly built lad.

A few other players who have noticeably bulked up:

• McGrath, Parish, Zerrett, Fanta, Ridley, Stewart, Laverde, Guelfi, Saad and McKenna
  • The most noticeable to me though was Myers, much bigger around the shoulders and biceps and with a very slim torso.

Lastly a little thing I noticed on one of the training boards, and I don’t think I’m giving away too many trade secrets here, but players numbers were written into groups of forwards, mids and backs. Ridley and Guelfi were among the mids group and Long was in the backs.

119 Likes

Would you say…most improved?

15 Likes

Great stuff mate, We all appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thanks nackers.

1 Like

@nackers gets alllllll the likes!!!

Cheers mate.

2 Likes

@nackers is awesome.

Did you confirm Shiel’s number was #20?

*edited by my dogs

2 Likes

No that’s Francis, what a transformation from this time last year where he really didn’t want to be here and was clearly not enjoying himself. He now looks in excellent shape and just has that star look about him. Even in training he sees and executes kicks others just can’t, quite similar to Zerrett but with more distance and flair. Maybe jumping the gun a little but it would be interesting to see what odds he is to make the AA team.

But to your question yes Myers body shape was very impressive, who knows he could be finally one of those real late bloomers.

11 Likes

Nobody wore any numbers today

Nackers chimes in with the meaty bits

Yes I agree completely, looks fantastic

1 Like

AFL drought driving Bombers in pre-season

By Roger Vaughan

19 November 2018 — 3:37pm

There is plenty of reason for optimism at Essendon as pre-season training gets underway, with star recruit from GWS Dylan Shiel joining his new teammates ahead of schedule.

Injured key forward Joe Daniher, a key to the Bombers’ 2019 prospects, also went through some running drills as he returns from the osteitis pubis that ruined his 2018 season.

[

]
Don’t ask Zach Merrett about form.CREDIT:AAP

But the Bombers are without a finals win in 5190 days and Zach Merrett, an All-Australian last year, is coming off a challenging season where opposition taggers went to work on him.

Ed Curnow’s job on him in the upset round-eight loss to Carlton was a low point, before Merrett and the Bombers finished the season strongly.

Merrett said it was all a valuable learning experience. Just don’t ask him about form.

“I don’t really believe in form, so I wouldn’t go towards that,” Merrett said.

"What’s form? If you can define it for me … I think ‘form’ is you go out there thinking you’re going to play well or poorly.

“How I go - obviously I’m not going to win every [contest] - but I don’t believe there’s some ‘form’ thing over my head that’s going to mean I play well or poorly before a game.”

The Bombers dropped out of the top eight this year and have the AFL’s longest current drought without a finals win - dating back to 2004.

“It’s a good question, isn’t it … it has been a while,” Merrett said when asked about their pass mark for next year.

"How many days has it been?

“It would be easy to fall into the trap of saying exactly what you want to do, but we just have to try to keep improving every day.”

With Shiel a significant addition to Essendon’s midfield, Merrett hopes to have a greater impact in attack as well as contribute more in leadership.

Merrett said he had a coffee with Shiel as the Giants star weighed up offers from the Bombers and rival clubs.

“The fact he chose us over other clubs is obviously exciting and the fact he thinks we have a good group together, who hopefully can push forward, is really exciting for us,” Merrett said.

"He’s a really explosive player, his work in the centre bounces was something we really highlighted when we played the Giants.

“But his ability to go forward and kick goals has been pretty special as well.”

7 Likes

6 Likes

Talk Irish to me

2 Likes

But you mentioned seeing numbers assigned forward/mid/back?

On track for a second most improved?

Thanks nackers!

1 Like

Yes it’s obviously easier to write a players number for abbreviation rather than the full name. There were only about 15 numbers and they were all existing players, so no help with Shiel’s number

1 Like

(EDIT: updated)

From AFL site. Joey is back!!

Below is a selection of AFL Media’s snaps from the track.

Zach Merrett leaves his teammates in his wake. (Photo: AFL Media)

David Zaharakis. (Photo: AFL Media)

Dylan Shiel arrives. (Photo: AFL Media)

Adam Saad. (Photo: AFL Media)

Orazio Fantasia. (Photo: AFL Media)

Joe Daniher receives some encouragement. (Photo: AFL Media)

Conor McKenna and Dylan Shiel share a lighter moment. (Photo: AFL Media)

Dylan Shiel at full stretch. (Photo: AFL Media)

Dylan Shiel. (Photo: AFL Media)

Skipper Dyson Heppell. (Photo: AFL Media)

15 Likes

He lives in the first photo anyway, Daniher didn’t join in any drills. I think it might be Stewart in the second photo (he’s wearing socks and Daniher didn’t).[quote=“Bomb_Doe, post:98, topic:14520, full:true”]
from AFL site. Joey is back!!

[/quote]

2 Likes

cue donnington erotica about conor’s GIRTH