Training report - 2018-11–21

Ha, yeah there are a few I could put in that category.

Midnight Oils first, ChangesOneBowie, and The Angels first LP would all qualify.

Others lost range from Supertramps EITQM’s,. … Floyds DSOTM, (later replaced), … and Living in the 70’s (also found another original copy years later)

It was a real record go round then, and everyone just sort of ended up with what they had when it finally wound down.

Everyone was always moving on to the next new record new band etc anyway, so you didn’t really worry too much about last years stuff at the time.

A few years back a mate passed away, (Yet another one gone early due to the curse of Melanoma, … “SPF 30 the fk up People!”) and at the wake his Missus handed me back my orig copies of Talking heads MSAB&F, INXS’s Shabooh Shabbah, Cales Troubadour, & Marleys “Exodus” and “KAYA”

I’d forgotten all about them, . but he had always looked after them, put them in Plastic outer sleeves labelled with all our Initials, and when he knew he was leaving, made a list of who the initials meant and Insisted to his wife, that they all be returned to us at the wake.

They were all as pristine as the day he’d gotten them. It was a hell of a parting gift. :disappointed_relieved:

13 Likes

Sad but really nice story. Sounds like a top bloke.

3 Likes

Scott or Johnson fan?

Just in… Francis is looking to become a better mid than Watson. When told by his trainer last week that he should be looking to model himself on a Watson, Francis told him that he’s more explosive better overhead and a better kick. Take nothing away from Jobe though, I grew up idolising him he said…lost for words

26 Likes

No wonder he was getting down on himself

Some very high ambitions the kid

Bring it on

I didn’t mind Johnson, (Last AC DC LP bought was FTATR, kinda moved on to the Alt stuff from there, Hunnas The Boys next door / Birthday Party and Models were out gigging by then, Cure, Clash, … Oils really coming to their peak etc),

… but without Bon, … there is no Ac Dc, … they simply wouldn’t have existed. or become anything, … and he’s the only one I’ve seen live, and was there when they were headlining the first “Rock” Concert I ever attended, which kick started everything, soooo, … yeah, Bon, for sure.

Johnsons best achievement, (IMO), was the job he did on “Back In Black” , when we were all still in mourning.

It’s indisputably one of the greatest Rock Albums of all time, and was an incredibly fitting Tribute to Bon, and I’ll always be grateful to, & a big fan of him for that.

5 Likes

Holy ■■■■.

Edit. Whilst Francis is a better mark and kick and more explosive, Jobe had vision and time that few players possess and it is not something you learn. Hird had it and Pendlebury as well, not many others I can think of.

1 Like

Langford aims to be fyfelike,
Mcgrath is the next lil gazzer but runs both ways,
and franga is becoming a new jobe.
Best midfield since wooosha won his last flag…

3 Likes

No “quotes” = Fake News

Wow - sad ending to a top bloke. All of the ones that I have lost could be anywhere and I don’t think I got that many in return but it didn’t really matter as we had a bucket load of sex, drugs and rock & roll.

2 Likes

I used to buy a lot off hash of a bloke who was just hopeless at arriving on time. Really hopeless. Sometimes he could say Ill be there at 7 when you spoke to him Tuesday afternoon, and he would arrive sometime Thursday night. But whenever he did that to me he always arrived with an album for me as compensation. He introduced me to some good music from bands that I had not previously heard, so he was always forgiven for being so late. I mean when a guy rocks through you door with not only the finest hash, but albums from such artists as Nico, Curved Air, Roxy Music, Eno, Sparks, and the like, you just have to forgive him.

3 Likes

I remember buying a big block of hash in Lisbon. As I was walking away from a fairly hairy transaction, some old Portuguese fella told me “you just got farked by the gypsy”. I nodded to him and smiled comfortable in my hash per euro metric, “the jokes on you old man” I laughed with my buddy. After three hours of trying manfully and failing to burn the product I realised the joke was indeed was on me. Ahhh Lisbon.

3 Likes

Im confused. Is music the gateway to drugs (it was in this thread) or are drugs the gateway to music?

1 Like

ALL THE GATEWAYS

I like The Gwelf for small defender for a few years

Francis looks amazing.

Parish looks physically bigger (and presumably stronger) and has supposedly become one of the strongest runners at the club (according to the radio). He’s overshadowed by flashier players like Francis, but I’m delighted with his progress. I want to see him, Langford, McGrath and Merrett playing a lot of midfield time together as they’re the future core of the team. Speaking of, who’s the next captain after Hep? McGrath? Quite a few good candidates.

4 Likes

Merrett. Easily.

1 Like

Stringer. Trump is Potus.

3 Likes

Not to derail thread too far but way back in the early 70’s my mum & dad took me to the bistro @ Manly Leagues club (dad was a member & lifelong Sea Eagles supporter)
On the way out they let me take a peek in the auditorium at some band making a hell of a racket
In I walked in my little dressing gown (all ready for bed) & thought what the hell is the lead guitarist wearing his school uniform for !!

10 Likes