Training Report 25 June

The best news of this morning’s training was “we didn’t lose!”

The good news - Heath Hocking is back in full training and expected to play in the VFL on Saturday against Port Melb. David Myers also joined in the main training session and at the end was getting his shoulder tested in bumping work. Can’t be too far away. Kommer and Winderlich both participated in full training

The not so good news - both Fletch and Chappy undertook modified work and will not be considered for this week. Hurley looked to be going through a test, then ran laps, then joined in with the rest of the squad. Missing from training were Colyer and Belly.

Can’t say too much about the session which was initially split into two groups using both ovals. Continuing work on moving the ball more effectively out of defence to attacking forward positions where forwards run into space to mark rather than rely on contested pack marking.

One of my photos may give a clue to the expected forward group! Smack is a certainty (gulp!) to play. We may even go with Giles as a forward back up ruckman.

The other good news (may already be announced) is that Steinberg has been upgraded on to the senior list. The second half of 2015 may just decide whether he’s got a future at the Bombers.

…and now for a few pics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Doc Reid and Chappy in serious discussion.

Fletch going through a modified session on the “Etihad” Oval

Fletch working on groin flexibility.

“You’re kiddin’, right? We don’t really have to play the Dawks on Saturday?”

Conor McKenna back from Ireland. We could use your pace, young man!

Fletch learning how to ride a unicycle? A hint to life after retirement?
When he started, wheels were rare, so he had to make do.

When he started it was that, or a fkn penny farthing. Took the safer choice.

Why is it, that we continually lose players to injury when we don't play?????

Time and again, I see players injured at training, rather than during matches.

We had a bye round and we come back with four less players. That’s crazy.

I thought we built a state of the art training ground in order to stop the injury curse which we had a Windy Hill.

We don’t appear to be in a much better position at all.

Maybe just maybe it’s because they are having a real red hot crack at it at training thus the resultant injuries.

Thanks Karma I’ve been looking for a training report for ages. Good to see the photos as well. Thanks again.

Great work on the Report. Many thanks.

So, Karma, there are 3 Rookies left. Aylett, McKenna, Long. If it were based on training, not on whether the team needed a forward, a mid or a defender, which one looks the best to elevate with the one elevation available should we choose to use it?

Fletch learning how to ride a unicycle? A hint to life after retirement?
When he started, wheels were rare, so he had to make do.

Thanks, awesome photos and insight. Fletch learning how to ride a unicycle? A hint to life after retirement?

I saw Chapman in a serious discussion on the smaller oval with someone, well after the boys had gone in. Strange place to do it from as well. Right along the Melrose side. Looked weird.

In general boys missed targets a lot. Laverde missed all 5 of his pass into forward 50 leading target in the drill, which was disheartening, as there was no opposition.

Jake Long looked good in that specific drill.

I thought we built a state of the art training ground in order to stop the injury curse which we had a Windy Hill.

We know for sure that Colyer’s injury occurred (or they became aware of it) during the West Coast game.

who’s to say it’s not the same for the others?

Cos we are cursed…windy hill…mismanagement…sack the medical staff…sack Quinn…sack everyone…just because…and so on and so on…

Why is it, that we continually lose players to injury when we don’t play???

We know for sure that Colyer’s injury occurred (or they became aware of it) during the West Coast game.

who’s to say it’s not the same for the others?

Hope Stein gets a gig soon. Have only seen a couple of his recent games this year and he was pretty good. Read the play well and his decision making and disposal was great. But wondering where he would be played in the 1s. Our back line is pretty settled even with Fletch in and out.

Jake Long?

He trained well. I think his finger is better. Hopefully will get a gig with VFL on Saturday.

Jake Long?

Thanks for the training report and pics. Much appreciated!

NOB comes into work an a fellow collegue thats obsessed with essendon was walking through the store and NOB just came in, spoke to him and NOB said hes playing against the hawks satdy. Good on him.

I think it's up for debate whether Chapman's absence is good news or bad news. I'm fairly sure a lot of fans wouldn't be too disappointed.

Pulling the pin?

Had to double-take with Pears. Thought GUMB was back.

Thanks Karma.