Training Report (and pics) 5 Feb 2016

Training was held in fine, sunny and very warm conditions. The full session lasted for 3 hours, the majority of which was a scratch practice match with a number of “new” faces participating.Unless my maths is poor or I fell asleep, the game only went for 3 quarters which didn’t surprise given the quality of play!

The good news: The only players I noticed missing from the session in one form or another were Leueny and Hams (sorry DJR!!). Cooney even participated in a half of the practice match (maybe that was actually two-thirds if it went for only 3 quarters). ■■■ it was a confusing session trying to unravel a who’s who.

The not so good news: The session, as I’ve said, felt like a “Who’s Who in the Zoo” and the standard was anything but inspiring.Lots of kicking to contests, little semblance of system and overall it reflected that the players were really in a quandary as to who was who and how they played.

Modified training: Jamar ran laps, as did Stokes. Francis both ran laps and did training drills on Etihad and rope work next to the main oval.

Add ins: Some I couldn’t readily identify and may need to call on DJR and others who can pick up any VFL players from my pics but I did see Jack Langford and Coghlan. I also think one of the players may have been from the Ovens & Murray League who had been mentioned by a Blitzer in another topic post I think - he looks a bit like Daniel Rich (stocky), kicks with his left foot and knows where the ball is - a pretty impressive showing.

Following the practice match, many of the players were involved in either additional running laps or sprints whilst others worked on leading and set shots at goal. Some of the disappointing aspects were Joey’s lack of set shot accuracy at goal (at one stage he got a 50 metre penalty and was almost directly in front about 20 metres from goal - a miss. He then proceeded to dob a goal from the right pocket on the boundary with another set shot - go figure! Shauny Edwards still struggles big time with endurance. He was 40 metres behind his group doing runs up and down the middle of the ground after the practice game. Was bent over after each lap. Tippa unfortunately had little impact in the practice game and was rarely sighted. On the other hand, Kelly, Crowley, Eades, Zach Merret, Zaha, and Smack stood out.

If I think of anything else I’ll add another post later.

Now to sort out the pics.

Thanks (I think) for the report.

Report needed more HAMS.

Sounds like too many coaches, and too many new players (nearly 20 ). Its time for Woosha to take over, assert himself and impose some structure to the group and the line coaches or it will take months to sort out the rabble into a team
3 weeks to the NAB Challenge.

17th here we come, was the vibe i got from the whole thing.

Forward line wise, nothings change, get a lead ignore it hoof to joe.

zach and parish just ooze footballers. Mckenna started well then disappeared.

Stokes is just bewildering that hes on the list.

MOMEMTUM

I’m scared for this threads life.

MOMEMTUM

…of an abandoned shopping trolley.

MOMEMTUM

…of an abandoned shopping trolley.

As long as we crash into Carlton - hard - I don’t care where this erratic journey ends up.

Every new training thread makes me want to fkg cry. This season ■■■■■■■ sucks already if that wasn’t obvious.

Karma and Jackie thanks regardless. You guys are champions.

How did Kommer go?

Every new training thread makes me want to fkg cry. This season ■■■■■■■ sucks already if that wasn't obvious.

Karma and Jackie thanks regardless. You guys are champions.

Wait till we get a big run of injuries, then you’ll know some tears.

So no luey? I heard today he was up against Gach in the ruck?

Can’t wait for the nab cup!

How did Kommer go?

he was there.

Can't wait for the nab cup!

I reckon we could pull out a few surprises in the first few rounds of the season. Expectations will be painfully low at that stage.

But it’s hard to see how the Nab cup is going to be anything other than excruciating viewing.

I reckon we could pull out a few surprises in the first few rounds of the season. Expectations will be painfully low at that stage.

But it’s hard to see how the Nab cup is going to be anything other than excruciating viewing.

I actually think it’s going to be better than last years, and that game against Melbourne was awesome.

I actually think it’s going to be better than last years, and that game against Melbourne was awesome.

Next to the Hawks clash, it was my favourite of the season.

My theme song for the season

How I think this season will play out:

Nab Challenge: like a car wreck
Round 1: Come out blazing and up by 3 goals half way through the 3rd quarter only to fade and lose by 4 goals.
Round 2-13: Gradually build a structure and start playing like a team. Win 2 games.
Round 15-23: Young guys start to tire and top-ups lose interest. Win 1 game.