Training Report - Friday 20 January 2023

What I’m particularly liking about the training reports this year is the positivity about the younger, less experienced guys in the squad. Seems there is a lot of improvement to look forward to in that group rather than our usual expectation that the likes of Merrett, Shiel, Parish, Ridley, Redman etc. will provide the only framework around which to build the team.

If players like Mass, Durham, Martin, Menzie, Hobbs etc can take another step forward this year I think we’ll have some exciting years ahead.

New coach, new game plan, new focus and hopefully a new mindset throughout the playing group should at least provide some welcome highlights for us all to enjoy.

10 Likes

It’s not about coming last it’s about putting in consistent performances regardless of the result rather than trying to play games where we get pulverised in some and then scrape out wins in the other

3 Likes

They need to send Bryan to learn CHB, like the Hawks sdid with Big Boy McEvoy. Be the back up ruck and leave 2MP and his no. 2 tall in the forward line.

2 Likes

I love this post.

I sometimes think it can be easily forgotten that we don’t exist in isolation. Whether we improve or not everything is still relative to your opponents.

It’s like a short guy standing in a crowd to watch a footy game, can’t see, so next game he brings a box to stand on. Still can’t see though, coz everyone else had the same idea.

All those things you mention will hopefully makes us a better TEAM. Getting the number 1 draft such as Norf did last year could mean Jack SQuat.

I’m looking forward to seeing us become a better and hopefully great TEAM. Week in Week out, whether that gets us a premiership sooner or later depends on so many variables.

I just want a TEAM I can be proud of.

@Nino totally agree not a TEAM that tanks and tries to cheat the system.

10 Likes

Cheap shot? Really?

This actually represented a positive and refreshing symbol of a passionate player (Redman) who desperately wants to raise standards across the team and is leading by example. Redman, in targeting a player whose standards have been widely questioned in the past, chose to up the ante with Jake and in doing so ruffled feathers. Redman challenged Jake and I’m very happy to see it. Players are uncomfortable. New leaders are emerging and it’s great to see Redman stepping up and challenging his teammates this preseason.

Challenging each other, having everyone on edge and a bit uncomfortable is distinctly different to the previous pedestrian preseasons by comparison. Some will have a problem with it. Scott will love it, and respect Redman for it. Maybe for Jake it’s growing pains… A bit of mongrel is a good thing for this Club. Bring it on…

8 Likes

I have no issue with any player wanting to raise standards, but if you are cool with an elbow in the back, then l have to agree to disagree. Any elbow to the back is a cheap shot. I would prefer a player to compete purely for the ball and beat their opponent without the use of elbows to gain an advantage. I have passed enough comment on this issue and won’t be commenting on it again.

4 Likes

In the season proper the opposition don’t play nice football.

2 Likes

All good. I have no issue with it… As long as it isn’t a deliberate act to injure (which it wasn’t).

1 Like

could be worse, could have kicked up the a*** like they do at fark carlton

1 Like

Nick Hind gone in for a scan on a qaud strain but the club said it was just precautionary ch9

Knowing our luck Hind proably did his qaud and will miss weeks

1 Like

Doesnt matter when we have BIG D*CK DAMBROSIOOOOO

2 Likes

Move back to windy hill

This is the same every year. “Hope springs eternal”…

3 Likes

Not happy with all the talk of tanking or simply being happy to finish last. I really think the AFL should consider introducing an NBA-style draft lottery, so that finishing last doesn’t necessarily mean you get first pick in the draft.
(Because the draft is not complicated enough already… :wink:)

1 Like

I prefer this quote myself.
If it’s good enough for Superman, it’s good enough for me.
And deep down in side Albert, I believe you have a tiny spark of hope, otherwise why are you here?

1 Like

True.

1 Like

2021 was a year where things didn’t go entirely well and then the players were allowed to play how they wanted because the coach didn’t hold anyone accountable. If we go back to being unable to drill a gameplan and play an identifiable, reliable and accountable style of football, I’ll be ready to cave in heads.

Absolutely, hence we have talent as it showed in 2021 needs to be harnessed now into a proper game plan

But we also can’t ignore that development hasn’t happened and these talented kids are not where they could have been and not have they been learning or executing a gameplan.

2 Likes

January Nino… we are in January.

Unless he’s torn it off the born I think he’ll be okay

4 Likes