Training report - Friday 8 January 2021

Begbie from the paint, nails it.

5 Likes

Had a shoulder reco and is in doubt for round 1.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Training report - Tuesday 12 January 2021

What cost us ‘99 was arrogance. We had beaten Carlton by 76 points in about round 17 and assumed the prelim final was just a formality. Carlton had other ideas.

5 Likes

I reckon taller than that based on the photo. Hird is 188cm, think she looks say 175 or so which is 5’9"

Cant recall the exact game but it was relatively late in his last season. Game was being played at the MCG Salmon failed to go to the assistance of several teammates who were under the pump. There are quite a few EFC members in my vicinity who weren’t impressed with his effort (or lack of).

The biggest injustice was that the football world was robbed of an Essendon North Grand final twice in the 90s with Carey at his peak and us arguably good enough to beat them.(had we not been crueled by injury).

The 96 and 99 grannys both would have been better spectacles with us in them and that’s not just me and my red and black glasses on.

I dare say North supporters would have loved to have tried beating us too in both years than Sydney and Carlton.

1 Like

Imagine how they would be if we beat them twice and Carey went down the same path as GAblett snr of being the best player in the comp and not winning a flag

1 Like

It’s a bit of a crime to footy history that we didn’t get a granny or epic final against one of the best teams of the 90s in the 90s. We didn’t have one against north did we?

At least we had that prelim against Adelaide.

Dualing 90s North in the finals would have been as good as dualing 80s Hawthorn IMO.

We beat North by 125 points in the 2000 finals.

3 Likes

I was at that game as a young fella, pretty sure Lloyd kicked his 100th in that game aswell

4 Likes

I was there too. Yes Lloyd did kick his 100 during that game. Good memory.

Agree with this. We should have beaten them comfortably bar some appalling kicking for goal. We’d probably have beaten North in the Grand Final, too.

1 Like

They had us well covered in 96 most likely. But 99 would’ve been a great game, with us as slight favourites.

2 Likes

We would have given North a real battle, but I always thought North would have won. They thought they should have won in 98 and they kicked themselves out of it. They were set to win in 99. I know we beat them during the year, but they were very tight games.

1 Like

That was post Carey though wasn’t it?

No, he played. David King was their best player that day booting 4 from memory. Lloyd booted 7 and Hird 5.

The Roos were peak of their powers though 96 to 99 though right?

I think we gifted em at least one flag.

I think King kicked 7

2 Likes

King kicked 7. Did a big windmill when he kicked a goal and they were 100 points down #flog.

1 Like