Training report Friday Jan 18

I think the best part is guys that are at the training ground let everyone go spare for the next couple of hours.
Whereas sources like @AnnStBomber have have excellent information to calm our farm.
Great work and glad your on Blitz

Nice one, Nackers - I agree with everything youā€™ve said there.

1 Like

Apparently @Houli_Dooley gets the same texts you do.

ā€¦and you do it for the love. Thanks Nackers

in the past in the vfl, he was the only one making good leads but for whatever reason his teammates were not honouring them. refusing the ā€˜riskyā€™ kick to him or just not trusting themselves. heā€™d do so many on the outlet wing to at least kick start something, most encouraging was that he kept doing it regardless of his teammates went to him or not.

3 Likes

Thanks Deckham, Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts if you have anything else to add, I always look forward to reading your reports as well

Love this nackers. Thankyou!

4 Likes

This guy could really blossom this year I feel. He could play anywhere but Iā€™m curious to know where heā€™s spending most of his time ATM? Could you just plonk him on the wing and in the midfield rotation?

1 Like

You would appreciate this thought, the opinion of Laverde around here reminds me of McKenna at this time last year. There were a lot of people saying he had no idea and should never get another game. I think a lot of people have a similar (but not quite as strong) opinion of Laverde, but by the end of the year I expect him to be a certain best 22

3 Likes

I think you could plonk him just about anywhere, very versatile

1 Like

I just love reading that SMACK could be anything

So many posts on this site over the years that I have read have got stuck into this guy and he will prove them all wrong

6 Likes

To my mind he already has. If heā€™s got a full year of what he gave in the latter half before injury last year, LID OOOOORRRRRFFFFF

3 Likes

Thereā€™s only so many spots in that midfield rotation. I am hopeful that we have limited injuries heading in to round 1. It will be a massive effort if he can push his way into that best 22 in the midfield rotation. However, if he doesnā€™t, I wonder if theyā€™ll play him somewhere else.

Iā€™m getting a sense that our midfield rotation could run to about 15-16.

Several pinch hitters obviously, but Iā€™d love to see a roaming, brawling, scragging mass of red and black swarming between half back and half forward.

1 Like

And you donā€™t think he deserved it? Odd!

People donā€™t hope that someone will never amount to anythingā€¦but if theyā€™re not contributing, then why shouldnā€™t they be criticised?

1 Like

Awesome Nackers thanks mate for your insights. Great to see Draper and Laverde up there as the most improved. Just on Laverde, my concern historically has been that his kicking has been a bit mechanical, and I havenā€™t seen the speed and athleticism that he displayed as a junior. Am I right in observing that heā€™s slimmed down a bit? Would love to see him on a wing/half forward. With Ridley, alongside improving overhead do you also think he needs to get a bit more combative in the contest?

1 Like

Old mate Tom Browne reporting hooker hamstring

Hooksy

So does that mean, best pre season ever body super fresh. Nothing to see?

Yes thinking of Laverdeā€™s kicking I think mechanical is the perfect description, he has been trying too hard to be technically correct. I think with a bit more confidence and self belief this will correct itself though and revert to a more natural kicking style. I would agree he has probably trimmed down a little in the torso but also put on a bit more muscle in the upper body. He also looks much fitter to me and I expect to see a lot more of the speed and athleticism you talked about this year., he has already looked better in training.

I havenā€™t really thought too much about Ridley being more combative but on reflection itā€™s quite possibly a good observation, itā€™s something Iā€™ll look at in future. He like most players has had a lot of work in marking and wrestling contests and I havenā€™t noticed a strength or weakness either way, with the exception that I have seen quite a few good spoils but I would like more converted to marks when he has the right positioning.

3 Likes