Training report Friday Jan 18

Hurley “Closed off behind the ball,really hard to score against” something along those lines

I like it getting Rutten is going to us wonders.

2 Likes

From what I have read Rutten is responsible for the kpp players defensive structures.

Team defence would suggest across the whole ground which hasn’t really been confirmed has it?

I’m pretty sure Woosha said in a video last year that Rutten is in charge of the kpp and team defence. iirc Woosha said the team defence was not quite there with the top teams so Rutten will be in charge of improving this,

Yeah ok.

I just don’t k ow how he would be responsible for the whole side when they are generally split into groups.

Tactically I assumed that would be a combination of the line coaches and Harding.

Per recent training reports, Rutten is responsible for making Joe fit again.

So now we know who to lynch.

3 Likes

Im pretty sure Wooshas still in WA at the moment. I think he visited the weagles headquarters

Yes I’d agree with that. I think he’s similar to someone like Van Der Haar, he’s never going to train the house down. I would prefer him to look fitter but I’m not particularly worried.

Which reminds me he got a couple of fantastic clearances in the match sims today

7 Likes

Jackie said to me today something that I hadn’t particularly noticed which was that there was a lot more blocking and shepherding taking place today than previously. Overall I think the pressure and intensity has gone up a level throughout training.

15 Likes

I’m tipping Guelfi to become Zaharakis like,with a bit more grunt.

Which is what I’ve always wanted Zaka to have a bit more of.

5 Likes

I thought I heard that that was his role, team defence across the whole ground

1 Like

In Zaka’s Defence he gets his hands dirty when it’s his turn over the past couple of seasons.

He has taken his time to develop after jumping out of the gates early but he’s an important part of the team now.

That’s coming from someone that has wanted him traded for about 5 years now.

1 Like

Yeah, it may be so.

I’m just curious how that works considering how many other coaches we have and whether he would be stepping on their toes.

It may just be something as simple as bodywork or something.

I never go to training so I have no idea.

That’s why yourself and Deckham and Pocock and others are legends for sharing your insights.

A lot of the time he has seemed to be with the key position players but it hasn’t been restricted to that. He has worked on body work, marking, positioning and defensive work across the whole group at different times

4 Likes

Let’s hope it has an impact.

I’m confident we are in for a big year.

I hope that is the case, it has been sub par for too long. A block or shepherd can make the difference between a clean disposal and a rushed one. Some players think once they have gotten rid of the ball the job is done. Hope it translates into the season.

7 Likes

■■■■ oath we have been the worst team in the comp for a long time in regards to blocking and shepherding, makes no sense why our players don’t support each other, you only ever see tippa laying out some protection biffs

3 Likes

Big fan of David Myers then?

He’s not a line coach, Harvey still has the defenders.

Rutten is in charge of whole team defence and also working specifically with the kpp with their craft, as per him directly doing so with JD

2 Likes

He doesn’t have that wide open flow that Zaka can play with, nor does he have the goal sense or kicking. But he does have a lot of attributes that Zaka lacks, including fearless aggression and very good positioning.

1 Like

Yep, agree with that. I’ve seen him do a lot of individual body work… the pieces to make up the whole, so to speak. Whereas perhaps the broader pictures I’d being overseen by a few others as well… Harvs, Kelly, Whoosh etc