Training report Friday Jan 18

Great to hear.

Too many players in the past would look to recieve the ball instead of doing the non glamorous team things.

3 Likes

The fact is that heā€™s not as fit as the very best. If he trained at Jobe-like levels he would be virtually unstoppable, but as heā€™s got where he is (which is pretty damn good) without ever doing that, itā€™s unlikely he ever will.

I had assumed Rutten was brought in as Worsfolds senior assistant, and as an expert on the modern High pressure gamestyle, basically to identify and fix the 10% of our gamelan that didnā€™t quite stack up.

anyone else just scroll through these threads, read nackers post then continue onto the end?

4 Likes

double post

1 Like

Isnā€™t it best to have all the reports in the same thread? I thought it better than starting a new one?

6 Likes

I reckon they are pretty big, metaphorically at least.
Seriously though, at his age they probably havenā€™t changed much since last season.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who posted training news- enjoyed reading all the different perspectives. Weā€™re very lucky on Blitz to get such impressive detail & insight.

11 Likes

Ohh what a scoop by Browne! In some industries heā€™d get the sack for thatā€¦ In AFL footy journalism itā€™s different though where the mantra is ā€˜Have a crack, some times youā€™ll get it right and other times you wonā€™t, but donā€™t let the facts get in the way of a good storyā€™.

1 Like

Hi @nackers thanks for your report. Keen for your thoughts on whether Jok is likely to be ready for a game this year? Ridley howā€™s he looking? Laverde? And who are you seeing the most improvement in?oh and Francis is he still training with the mids??

Yes, theyā€™ve stated that heā€™s coaching defence across the full ground, not just in the backline.

1 Like

People need to ease up on Jake. Heā€™s 1cm taller and 14kg lighter than Tony Lockett in his prime. You donā€™t have to be the fittest bloke on the park.

2 Likes

Iā€™m tending to think Jok probably wonā€™t be ready this year. Heā€™s got all the tools but has played or been in a high level environment very little. I think he has a lot to learn about reading the play, where and when to run and how best to impact a contest.

There was a situation yesterday where he was about 5-10 metres off a one on one where he had lots of options - he could have blocked or shepherded his opponent, supported his team mate or made position for the next possession but he really did nothing, just ran around and spectated. I think the understanding of the game is where he has to improve, itā€™s just a matter of how long that will take

Heā€™s been training exclusively with the mids and I think they are probably looking at a role for him on the wing. If he does manage to put it all together itā€™s hard to imagine how high his ceiling could be but I think he has a fair way to go yet.

Iā€™m a big fan of both Ridley and Laverde. Both have come back in great shape and have barely put a foot wrong.

Ridley just looks so composed with everything he does, I would just like to see him improve on his overhead marking a bit more. If he getā€™s that right he could be a real weapon.

I really canā€™t understand the Laverde haters, he just has so much talent and is almost the perfect size and shape for the modern footballer. I think some of his kicking problems are just a phase heā€™s going through, he was apparently an excellent kick as a junior. Watching him in forward line drills he is probably the best in the team at leading patterns, repeat efforts and marking out in front of him. I think it may have been you that mentioned in an earlier thread his importance to the team as a transitional link between the back line and forward line as we have very few medium size marking options, and I agree completely. I think he will make a big difference structurally.

Francis hasnā€™t been training of late with either the mids or key position players, more with the utility types.

Most improvement compared to this time last year:

1. Francis with a bullet - Not only improvement in skills but also physique, conditioning, attitude and self belief. I was saying yesterday I wonder what the odds are of him making the AA team this year. I canā€™t remember when I have been more excited about a player.

2. Draper - has made huge strides in all aspects of his game.

3. Laverde - As above as had his best pre season and from all reports a much improved attitude and self belief. He looks set to really make his mark.

4. Zlarke - A Bit of a funny one this as I still donā€™t think his disposal is up to it but everything else has been great.

5. McGrath - Has improved enormously around the contest now breaking free rather than looking for the quick handball give.

6. Guelfi - Has just continued t improve all parts of his game

7. Smack - Another one who now seems to have real self belief and much more composure. Could be anything this year.

47 Likes

Iā€™m donā€™t think Iā€™m being overly critical of Stringer but as a comparison to the rest of the team the only 2 players that I thought didnā€™t come back looking in better condition than when the season ended were Stringer and Bellchambers (who looked a bit heavy but had the shoulder surgery he was recovering from). Itā€™s really compared to the rest of the team that he hasnā€™t made big improvements.

1 Like

Yeah sorry mate that wasnā€™t directed at you. Just notice a lot of people constantly talking about what shape heā€™s in. Looking pretty good to me.

1 Like

Yes not a problem I didnā€™t take it all personally. Iā€™m not really saying heā€™s in bad shape, just that he could be in better shape which most of his team mates have done in the off season.

Your insights here are amazing mate. Ever considered getting a job as one of those sneaky opposition scouts?

Iā€™m always open to offers!

2 Likes

And yet Saad gets off scot free for coming back looking like Donald Trump

6 Likes