Training report - Monday 1 February 2021

How could you tell I’m old given I’m covered in fur?
I hardly look a day over 207 which is quite young for us wokkers.

4 Likes

whos the old bogan in the middle?

no, not @wimmera1

1 Like

What’s the long term plan? Are you boys going to tunnel underneath that fence or shimmy over it?

6 Likes

Hopefully someone didn’t call in sick!

I remember years ago, I called in sick so I could go to watch the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL. The f*cking ABC had a shot of the crowd, and there I am… front and centre.

:laughing:

43 Likes

Looks fitter than me.

1 Like

Younger, too.

4 Likes

more agreeable, too

4 Likes

Good day to miss training it seems

3 Likes

I got caught wagging school in exactly the same scenario.

Darren Millane’s funeral during year 11 classes, and I Was on the front page of the Dandy Journal…

Sprung!!!

3 Likes

Thanks again for the report mate. So many positives re individual players but I really liked this bit in particular.

2 Likes

AncientPoliteHydatidtapeworm-max-1mb

12 Likes

Younger and I pulled sickies and then dragged the youngest brother out of school to go to a one dayer at the G.

Front page of the HS doing the Mexican Wave

6 Likes

So, my thoughts…

Firstly, check the weather before training. A chilly breeze did not go well with a t-shirt and shorts. (Yes, I’m the fat bugger on the right). Thanks to @jackie_mihocek for the coat.

Modified match sim appeared to have more of a focus on ball movement than defensive structure. There appears to be an emphasis on being safe with the ball and using short passes when there isn’t a long target, which meant almost every drill saw the ball switched or taken via the wings. A couple of times, I would’ve liked to see a tall be in a position to be a long target, but seeing as they weren’t, the player with the ball went short and often sideways. It just slows down the play a bit too much. On one occasion, Shiel, got a quick handball receive at half back, would’ve liked to see a bit more of that (use Hind?). Maybe Hurley playing forward to be that target that can draw the footy around half forward.
On a more positive note, the skills did appear to be better, some of the ball movement was quite good. It’s much slower than we’re accustomed to, but that doesn’t worry me so much. Do it well. As @nackers said, the skills and speed of the ball movement tapered off a bit, not sure whether it was an instruction, fatigue or both.

A run down of how I saw some of the players:

McGrath - kid’s a star. His kicking appears to have improved, some really good passes. There wasn’t a lot of stoppage specific work today, so I think we’ll get a better read on him from that.

Draper (BSD) - the greatest of all men. Marks, intensity, mobility, follow-ups. He had it all. Can’t wait to see a full season from him.

Caldwell - excellent recruit. Does the fundamentals extremely well.

Shiel - I really liked his match sim work, kicking was largely very good. H edid drop off a bit in his running, not sure why.

Cutler - well he got used a lot with the ball, some good, some not so good.

Hind - didn’t do anything really wrong, but didn’t get used for run out of defence. Maybe we’re not at that stage yet?

Wright - I liked his day. BIIIG contested mark up forward and brought the ball to ground a couple of times. Showing some steady progress. Interested to see him as a ruckman.

Heppell - looks fine, and largely very assured across half back.

Jones - didn’t get used a lot, but I loved his work rate. Kept making repeat efforts to give an option.

Bryan - first time I’ve really had a look at him in matchplay. Some really good marks and some not so good kicks. Interested to see his role when not rucking in the VFL.

Hooker - played defence, played pretty well. Moving well.

Redman - pleased to see him out on the park, looks like he’s moving pretty well. Flunked a couple of kicks.

Eyre - really nice mark up forward, and a crunching tackle on Heppell that would’ve given him a shot on goal.

Ham - I have him on a wing Round 1. Like his endeavour, working really hard.

Walla - I’m a little worried. He looks fit, but I think he’s lost a bit of spark and zip. Hopefully it comes back come game time.

Of the three trial players, I only really noticed Waterman, I think he’s definitely worth a list spot. Really good hands, and strong. Someone compared him to Crameri, I think that’s right, but a couple of inches shorter.

Pleased to see most of the rehab players having solid sessions, surely most of them can’t be too far away.

I’m not convinced we’ll be much good this year, but the early signs under Truck/Cara/Gia are showing some improvements. There appears to be a better work rate, largely coming from the younger brigade. How much? Time will tell.

113 Likes

That’s not the only thing thats BIG after reading that

1 Like

For those wondering, here is the clip. As well as the Bliyz crew, Heppell and Hird get mentions.

6 Likes

School went back today.
Probably why

1 Like

Nice work Matt Pocock - much appreciated.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report, I would have guessed you were the one on the right.

but would have said the one with glasses, or the youngest one.

any thoughts on lachie Johnson?

Rehab group all session. Not sure what to make of it.

Where I was standing, and with my eyesight, it was hard to really make an informed opinion.

1 Like

I legit didn’t think fat when I saw the photo. I’d market you as pleasantly cuddly and there’d be plenty of takers on here.

6 Likes