Training report - Monday 1 March 2021

I doubt Johnson will play, firstly as I think they will play as close as possible to their best line up in their only other practice match and Johnson wouldn’t be in that group, and secondly this was probably only his first full session with the whole group, so he would most likely have a bit more work to do before he is considered.

No he didn’t do any running, but he also didn’t have a bandage on his leg and didn’t seem to be restricted so probably isn’t far off.

It didn’t look anything serious, I wouldn’t be surprised even if he trains in the next session.

8 Likes

Thanks for the reports. I’m feeling nervous about Jones, Shiel and Caldwell. Sad to hear Hurley still in a bad way.

3 Likes

Hope Jones OK, not a Quad injury.

giphy

20 Likes

We will take his reports for granted and HE WILL LIKE IT.

3 Likes

Jones injury has me anxious af.

The dreaded Tuesday injury update video.

It always starts with: ‘Unfortunately scans have revealed…’

2 Likes

… a slight…,

1 Like

… knock to …

2 Likes

I have to say that my main take out of that is that many players are in fact working less hard than in the past. That seems like a terrible thing to me. For years one of our main problems is that the players, as a whole, have been substantially less fit than the AFL’s successful teams, and if they’re working less then they can only be even less fit.

We lost the game against FC when they put the foot down against us in the third quarter and we couldn’t keep up. They scored seven goals in a row and won the game in that period. Sure we pegged them back a bit, but we never got close and we never looked like getting close.

One of the main takeaways from the whole-of-club review that Paul Brasher carried out at the end of last year was that the players knew that they needed to work harder. The response of the club seems to have been to make them work less hard.

Not happy, Jan.

2 Likes

That assumes that they aren’t working outside of these sessions. Perhaps those in the rehab group did a massive running session yesterday and we’re being kept out of the session today because they were scheduled to do another running session this afternoon.

Building a super fit team take a several seasons. I think it will take 3 seasons at least.

3 Likes

Possibly. But you don’t begin the process by making them work less.

1 Like

In one drill various attacking players were literally just standing still on a cone, and when the ball was kicked to them the whole defensive group had to move as one to adjust to the new position. Rather interesting to watch in an odd kind of way.

Really glad to hear this as it’s been an issue for years. Suprised they haven’t practiced it more as it’s essential. Teams like richmond and collingwood when I’ve watched them live previously move in unison like soldiers in line quickly into their zone positions.

7 Likes

If we go into round 1 with no Stringer or Jones, I think Hawthorn wins.

We simply won’t have anyone that can kick us a competitive score.

That was one of the few games I had us winning for the year too…

1 Like

The meathead “just push harder” only breaks them.
Which won’t help make anyone fitter.

Build the loads, monitor closely - which needs self awareness and honesty from the players, taper off the load if they’re feeling sore, ramp it up if they’re feeling good, and go again.

There’s a reason most players only hit their best footy at 20, 21, 22.

7 Likes

I have hope for Jones becoming a very good player but he hasn’t he even played a game yet. Bit rich to say that him missing his debut will cost us the game

6 Likes

Structurally it will hurt us. There is nobody else to replace him.

Lav? Hooker?

As I said hard to make claims about a player who hasn’t played a senior game yet but yeah promising signs that he can become a good forward

Thanks for the reports.
Strength work to avoid recurrences is not exactly a new concept. Though I’m sure there will be differences in the way we go about things with our new S&C and physios. Hopefully it is more effective.

Have to say players have commented on this pre season being harder. We played mainly kids against Carlton and though i don’t like losing i liked that we outscored Carlton in the last.

14 Likes