Training report - Monday 2018-12-10

Was also hoping it was Jake Long, kicking it up a notch.

1 Like

Shiel watches it and says "yeh nah. thats like fighting with your sister. You guys need to learn stoppage craft "

1 Like

Thanks for the reports… love the photo frames of the skirmish- gotta love Shiel’s non reaction. (Wait for the headline news … blah, blah … Stringer causing trouble, blah …)

As has been said it was a beautiful day at Tulla with just a moderate wind. It was fgood to see players wearing their numbers for the first time this pre season.

Modified group of Parish, Daniher, Gleeson, Begley, Mckenna and McNiece.
Smith, Fanta, Long, Redman, Mossie, Gown and Ham didn’t train. McNiece also joined in a lot of drills with the main group, while McKenna and Gleeson did very little work. Gleeson in particular seems to have backed off his training loads, while Parish, Daniher and Begley got quite a bit of running in.

Belgley seems to be moving very well and looks to be in very good shape, he is doing more and more agility work as well. Parish must have been doing a lot of weights even since pre season has started, he is now very solid across the shoulders, chest and biceps.

Bellchambers joined in with various ruck drills but didn’t compete in any contact work.

As has been mentioned the training was quite intense with some very solid tackling and bumps.

The key position players of Stewart, Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose, Zerk, Smack, Hartley and Brown did a lot of work together again with Rutten. They did various one on one strength and wrestling drills again concentrating on holding their feet and correct body positioning with Rutten, which seems to have a big emphasis in the pre season.

Draper and Dea later joined the group for 2 on 2 leading and marking drills. Whereas in the past players in these sort of drills have alternated between defending and attacking, today and it was very much the usual forwards attacking against the usual defenders defending.

Draper in particular did exceptionally well taking several contested marks. It was b y far the best I had seen him move and mark as a forward, much better than I had previously seen him. It may not be long at all before he leapfrogs Clarke as second in line to Belly. He also moved well in the general drills with the main group although did get caught a couple of times due to a lack of awareness. Zerk also did very well out of the defenders often jumping from the front to execute good spoils.

Later there was a long drill using 3/4 of the ground involving all the players in the main group. There was a large midfield contingent fighting for control of the ball and then moving the ball to leading forwards.

The interesting thing to me was the grouping of the players, with Smack, Stewart, Brown, Baguley, Tippa, Laverde, Houlahan and Lavender as forwards against Hurley, Hooker, Dea, Zerk, Hartley Ambrose, Saad and Ridley being used as a defender.

The rest of the players were in the midfield group including Francis, Stringer and Jok who all completed the whole session with the midfield group. Francis looked strong throughout the whole session, Stringer not so much. I would not be at all surprised if there is a plan to rotate Francis through the midfield as well this year.

70 Likes

I cannot compete with nackers.

3 Likes

Been to the vets eh?

4 Likes

Everyone’s contributions are much appreciated including yours. Everyone sees things a little differently, so it’s great to see other training watchers posting.

35 Likes

All training reports- however detailed or brief they may be are looked forward to every day - and are very much appreciated.

9 Likes

What I said was tongue in cheek, but I feel the love.

11 Likes
1 Like

Sentanta setting the gold standard for how not to treat teammates at training. Long my it be remembered.

Very good news about Draper and the pace of his development.

3 Likes

Punch on? Only if you count punching the freckle. That was a fair boot right up the clacker.

1 Like

When Fev lectures you about behaviour, you’ve done something real bad.

5 Likes

Typcial Belcho always the first at a scuffle lols

2 Likes

Photos looked like stringer was the one upset. Had the angry face on.

1 Like

I see the photos, but I won’t believe them until I see them on the Herald Sun super footy twitter page.

How many punch up Jake Stringer?

The unkindest cut of all.

3 Likes

FWIW, In the comments, the tweeter suggests that Guelfi didn’t like a hard hit.

See you in 2020 Darcy parish.

7 Likes