Training report - Sat 13 Jan 2024

Duursma out training on the second oval, probably still getting himself right.

Match sim underway. Wing stoppage, Goldy v Bryan.

9 Likes

Reid and Mckay being a twin towers down back looking solid. Loving the look of that. Lets ridley do his thing

48 Likes

Watched some drills of forwards v defenders. In the group I was watching, defenders Zac Reid, Hayes, Redmond, Baldwin and Kelly.

Matched up against Langford, Stringer, Perkins and Baldwin.

Reid looked a level above the other defenders. Same with Langford for forwards, but I guess this wouldnā€™t surprise anyone.

Reid and McKay could be really important ins for us this year :crossed_fingers:

One thing I didnā€™t like was in the early match sim, Lual made a simple error and no-one got in around him. It would have felt pretty lonely for the young guy. Iā€™d like to see the older players be more vocal and supportive, especially for the young players.

59 Likes

Tsatas i am pleased to say having a good session so far. Tackling been a stand out. Has focused hard on his ball drop also so his kicking a bit more under control today

McKay also a big positive. Already had 2-3 intercept marks.

Gresham will be such a good pick up for us

84 Likes

Who is McKay playing on?

1 Like

Sounds like Mackay is working closely with Reid so far this preseason. This is great news for Reid, Mackay and the club. In the best of worlds, Mackay and Reid will work together enhancing each other. Also, its very much in Mackays interest that he doesnā€™t have to be the Robinson Crusoe tall down back.

17 Likes

our backline could be quite formidable

9 Likes

Sorry unsure. Will look at it further. Players just having a break. He is looking after a forward setup of Stringer, Hunter and Caddy.

Stringer kicked a nice goal

15 Likes

Loving the updates all, good stuff! Sounds like they got some real focus, want and structure this time round

1 Like

RACISSSTTTTTTT

3 Likes

Expecting a quiet day for 2MP & Hunter, as they wonā€™t be able to handle MacKay and Reid.

1 Like

Puts the focus on our small and medium defenders and forwards as the ball comes to ground !
Its all good.

Hows the vibe re Mckays body languageā€¦ everyone playing nicely? Doesnt look like his jocks laced with deep heat?

4 Likes

Hunter is on the red team.
Mckay, Wright, Rids & reid are on the black team.

Baldwin has been very solid in defence for the red team too.

18 Likes

You could swear Baldwin was our best defender in these match sims. Killing it so far

75 Likes

This is disappointing but sadly unsurprising. When many of our players drop their own heads easily, it makes sense that they wouldnā€™t immediately be lifting up others.

1 Like

Baldwin has been impressive every time Iā€™ve seen him. The idea that he is a back up rather than best 22 is seriously under rating him.

36 Likes

Was there this morning with my son. Left early.

Quick observations (Iā€™m no expert):

Primarily, the list looks stronger than I have seen since probably 2012 and the competition for spots is going to be absolutely immense.

Strong marking across the board and the kicking skills were elite today imo. Excellent tackling as well (Tsatas a standout). Reid (with McKay) looks a certainty for Rd1.

Edit:

. Hunter has very strong hands. Looks a solid prospect.
. Zach is everywhere.
. Draper ran laps at pace with Sam W. Looking fit. Canā€™t be too far off full training.
. Caldwell definitely approaching the selection competition with a fair amount of aggression. Out to win. Redmon got a taste of it!
. Gresham an upgrade. I would say Alwyn Jr also quite prominent in the short time i was there.
. Usual suspects all in very good nick; McGrath, Langford, Parish (everywhere), etc
. McKay a huge add for this club. He seems to find good position and has much needed strength against taller heavier opposition.
. Final standout was Jones who is far from done.

Theyā€™re looking very, very good, gang.

135 Likes

Thank you all so much for the information so far. Looks like an elite group reporting on training. It is so good to have some terrific comments and banter before the Debbie Downers get out of bed and start terrorising this thread

25 Likes

Now itā€™s really just down to whether we win the flag by more or less than 10 goals.

16 Likes