Training report - Thursday 11 March 2021

The next Toby Greene

1 Like

In my mind, I’m imagining Stevie J. Feel like it’s probably an apt reference point for Perkins as a player.

Yeah, bit of Dustin Martin resting forward

Looks like it’s winding down, most of the list are doing some boxercise type stuff on the gloves/pads.

It wasn’t an intense session physically, but it was quite intense in technical issues. No full ground match practice or anything like that.

Small groups specific to areas of the ground doing repeat drills specific to that role. There was a kicking drill for the forwards , looking for the short pass to just inside 50 or choosing the deeper kick into the pocket. They then transitioned into a body positioning drill for contested marking, pushing off at the last moment to protect the drop zone. Reid /Francis/Wright/ etc in this one.

Cara seemed very animated on the far side, instructing positioning at stoppages and clearances. Seemed fairly basic , arms across opponents, control the space in front, quick hands to the runner(s).

The running defence practiced clearing from half back. Two “forwards” provided the defensive pressure, the backs had to negotiate through and then hit up a free player on the wing by foot. Big focus here was on kicking to that players advantage, poles in the ground served as both the target zone and also theoretical opponents so the kick had to be to the correct side. Cahill drilled a couple but also missed a couple. Heppell is neat. Ridley could hit targets with his eyes closed.

There was some goal kicking practice (hello Archie) and a group largely doing handball drills.

As noted, a teaching session and reinforcing the basics, not a physical session. And I’m ok with that. Some of what you see is surprisingly basic on one level, but that’s the exact thing that lets us down continually over the last few years. Do the fundamentals correctly, don’t try to be too clever. I like it.

Voice was good, spirits seemed high. Jones still has a bandaged knee and didn’t do much. Reid looks fit and ready to go, just looks like a thoroughbred.

Matchday is where we find out the truth. But I’m content with how things look. If we hit targets that we should instead of turning it over on transition then we’ll fare much much better than previous years. More reliable, less mercurial but still the presence of some freakish talent. Sounds good, so far.

And a few snaps…

So structured that we trained in height order.

82 Likes

So you’re saying he’ll win a Brownlow for us. I approve.

2 Likes

What’s this decades old unique & foreign concept of kicking to a players advantage all about?

19 Likes

Who knows, I’ve only watched Essendon games since the Saga…

5 Likes

Great job @saladin . Thanks for the updates and pics.

4 Likes

Who’s that with the shaved head in the pic with Reid? Brand?

Brand

I’ve never been to training, so just going off what others report. But does it seem as though, never before, have we trained every little matchday situation as we are now?
Who knows, we might even develop a kick in strategy.

2 Likes

Although Reid is obviously fairly skinny still I reckon he looks to have a frame that will put on the necessary size without too much trouble.

1 Like

Thanks for the Report and Great Pictures.
Do you think Reid is ready to step in for Stuart’s role?

THIS for me.

and nailing goals from 50 m out is a massive weapon to have.

3 Likes

He is a man child. At the risk of triggering people, a bit of his demeanor reminds me of (Warrnambool’s own) Jonathan Brown early in his career…

As long as Perky does everything required of him, and shows up on game day, I don’t care if he walks around like the most arrogant/disinterested ■■■■ in the world.

Toby Greene is the perfect example of this.

4 Likes

So, the lens detail ain’t too bad then.

16 Likes

Great reporting Saladin. I really enjoy the slightly different slant of your training observations.
I’m feeling optimistic about our future so long as we have a fair run on the injury front.

5 Likes

People will definitely use it as ammunition against him when he doesn’t perform… they already do and he’s only played 2 quarters of football.

There is a tall poppy syndrome especially amongst our supporters. We’ve had a horrible history at targeting and abusing our own players.

11 Likes

Well you wouldn’t want him wrestling the gorilla forwards in the goal square. He’d have to do it a different way. It’s great that he’s getting a game tomorrow.