Training Report - Wednesday 2018-12-19

Or their development program isn’t as good as people think it is.

What development program? They just buy players from other teams and fit them into their well coached system.

Screw them.

7 Likes

They have an academy. Allegedly.

1 Like

He’s getting lots of them for Chrissy.

5 Likes

That comment was regarding Ham, not Mozzie mate.

There’s a huge difference between being a part time under 18 footballer and the demands of a full time afl preseason

2 Likes

Their academy has already produced a future star.

To bad he’s a lifelong bomber

3 Likes

He’s also a quick small indigenous fwd.

Endurance generally not a strong suit of those players but def something will need to work on to be able to provide those repeat efforts and push into midfield more often.

As per TIPPA

2 Likes

He’s a small lightweight young forward probably training with mature AFL footballers for the first time, I’m not in the least bit surprised by his progress. He’s still much bigger than Michael Long when he first arrived at Essendon

He’s now having full contact drills with much bigger players, it’s going to take a while for him to get used to the hits and the tackles and the necessity to make repeat efforts, but I’m very confident he will get there. He has all the tools and doesn’t shirk anything.

He may get some games in the second half of the year but also may well have to wait until next year while his body develops.

12 Likes

one day nackers is gonna start a thread, do an ok report, then wait 3 hours and drop his real report.

1 Like

■■■■■■ write my essays for uni please mate! Awesome

Langford has definitely improved on last year - bigger, stronger, and much better composure and confidence in his ability and place within the team

Laverde if he remains fit will be a lock for best 22 - you can take that to the bank. He is in ripping condition with strength, speed and endurance and has looked the best out of any player in the team on the lead. He’s shown great leading patterns, speed and can hold onto even bullet passes. He’s also very important to our structure as he will provide an extra marking option down the line which is important as we have a lot of smaller players who aren’t great overhead.

It would be great if Jok could also hold down a wing but even though I have been singing his praises he still has a bit to work on, I’d be surprised if he got a game before mid year and quite possibly not until next year.

19 Likes

Just one question on Laverde. How’s his kicking for goal? It’s been erratic in the past, but he’s basically got a great kicking technique.

5 Likes

Cheers,getting caught in the hype.
It is Christmas afterall.

It’s seemed better to me, I certainly haven’t seen any of the awful shanks he used to do.

I think a lot of his problems were in his head, he tried so hard to have his leg come through straight he actually ended up with a little outside to in to outside arc with his kicking leg which led to horrible results. If he just learns to relax and trust his technique I think he will be fine. He’ll only get that real confidence from kicking a few straight in a match though.

Apparently as a junior he was a great kick and didn’t have this problem at all.

6 Likes

Yep. Going to Essendon will do that to you.

3 Likes

Yes that’s the drill! And immediately after this without any break Houlihan would then have to take on, Stewart, Heppell, Dlarke, Mossie, Merrett and McGrath and Guelfi. You can imagine why Mossie struggled, particularly after losing his energy in the first couple of contests.

There have been a really big emphasis on similar types of wrestling drills this pre season, trying to teach players to keep their feet and not get pushed around so easily.

4 Likes

How about Laverde and Jok on a wing each. Would that work?

It looked exhausting. I presume they are also do intense body on body drills without the holding on/wrestling.

You can see how this will help them keep their own position to get possession, but also for managing the position of the opposition player and creating space for a team mate to get the ball.

1 Like