Training Saturday Feb 8th

Dois was there but not training.

1 Like

So McKenna played forward. How did he go?

Tell me more about this dominant Parish player I have been waiting a couple of years for.

I would like to know how Mossie went.

1 Like

This makes me very happy.

still no hooker. sigh

Yeah. When you canā€™t even pay for it then things are really bleak.

4 Likes

Thanks mate.

Really hope we take him. Tbh after our drafts I donā€™t see the point in Further stockpiling young rucks. As was reported in the media we are obviously having a look at another young ruck from
Wa too.

However given our list, if we took him we could just be doing the development for another club to poach him in 3-4 years. Iā€™d rather be the poacher.

10 Likes

Forward or back?

Half back and sometimes on the full back line. Heā€™s really the sort of player that could be anything, he has all the physical attributes, and is all you could ask for in a speculative pick. He reminds me a bit of Liam Jurrah (hopefully without some of the issues).

9 Likes

Cool, interesting. He can totally play back, but I think his best footy will be as a roaming half forward. He will burn people at the back of opposition presses

4 Likes

If Conor goes forward he could make an excellent replacement. I really like the fact that heā€™s also good in the air, both defensively and offensively, which we lack a little bit of with McKenna Saad and Ambrose. With his leap he would also make a great 3rd man up.

2 Likes

Some of the match ups today:
Stringer v Shiel (Centre bounce)
Laverde (forward) v Francis
Ambrose v Mozzie
Guelfi v Mozzie
Zacka v Mutch
Lockyer v Townsend
Ham v Mutch
Begley v Hurley
McBride v McKernan
Teakle v Phillips

18 Likes

Iā€™m excited to hear Phillips went well, I really think heā€™s going to make a noticeable difference to our side

21 Likes

Benfti, As I saw it he played mainly off half back, got into good positions to receive the ball, won his own ball, took a couple of grabs and racked up a few disposals in the match sim, as defenders do. He is clearly a bit awed by some of our players and thatā€™s understandable . In one passage of play another defender took possession in the pocket, and the forwards cleared out. He looked around, seeing Nigel presenting in the opposite pocket. The kick to Lockyer was a bit loopy, and was telegraphed, in any case Fanta was onto it, ran from half forward, flew for the spoil, crumbed and goaled. Not really Lockyers fault, but he dropped his head as if in shame. Its no shame to be beaten by Raz when a teamate takes the wrong option especially given how fit Raz is. At the end of the match sim, Raz was only just behind Ambrose in the 200 metres repeat running drills.
I would draft him, but then again I donā€™t see him every day at the club.

20 Likes

He only signed a 3 year contract initially Iā€™m pretty sure

Poor Mozzie 2 v 1 down there

I assume it was someone else that Ambrose was on.
But if not, where do we send flowers to?

3 Likes

From everyone Iā€™ve spoken too, all of them have said heā€™s a really good kid, but it wouldnā€™t surprise me if heā€™s really quiet in this situation. Lads got the weight of a community on his shoulders right now though, I know that.

8 Likes

I was there at 9.15am and watched 2 x 20min quarters.

General observations.
Players defensive and offensive running patterns with some ground width, more today in previous simulation in past years.
The defenders at half back were squaring the ball rather than kicking the 45 angle kick to the leading player. seems to be a focus to reducing quick turnovers.
Ambrose, Hurley Ridley and Gleeson controlled the air in the probable team with Guelfi, Saad good when it hit the deck
I saw some positive connections as well with Parish, Mcgrath and Merrett, they look sharp.
I missed out on seeing Stringer play mid unfortunately.
Raz, McKenna, Smith, snelling looked dangerous as a small forward combination without damaging the scoreboard.

26 Likes

Mo22ie is doing well. He picked a few disposals and is a bit of a wizard in traffic displaying great agility and unpredicability. However, in almost all cases he found himself in a lot of congestion and at times was matched up on Saad who was on fire in the first half of the match sim. I think he might play better if he gets the chance as a small forward in a game. I hope he gets to debut this season, not that I want Tippa or Fanta out of the side.

8 Likes

Agree. Is that a Richmond thing, I thought Richmond tried to graft the ball forward at every opportunity ?. Maybe after it clears half back. But spot on, the emphasis is to take the low risk option !

2 Likes