Training the Twelve Suspended Players

Players are being trained and treated by professionals external to the club.

Off-site?

This will end well.

Yep, and WADA compliant people would be anyone not professionally engaged with a WADA involved sport.

I didnt mean that. What I meant was if someone is a trainer for am Olympic sprinter (bound by WADA), and our players retain them to give them a program, surely that’s allowed? They’re not competing under a WADA code? Surely they don’t have to live 10 km from anyone who has heard of WADA.

But who is allowed to PAY for the trainers?

AFLPA maybe

I actually hope they’re off having a break before worrying about training.

Yep, and WADA compliant people would be anyone not professionally engaged with a WADA involved sport.

I didnt mean that. What I meant was if someone is a trainer for am Olympic sprinter (bound by WADA), and our players retain them to give them a program, surely that’s allowed? They’re not competing under a WADA code? Surely they don’t have to live 10 km from anyone who has heard of WADA.

I think it’s more to check that the trainer is not a banned person or under investigation.

I’m reading it as any person who trains the players would be committing a doping offense by workign with them. They then would be banned from all WADA compliant sports.

I’ve asked for clarification from an sports lawyer but not yet heard back.

I think it’s more to check that the trainer is not a banned person or under investigation.

According to WADA no Australian ‘support staff’ (as they call it) are on the banned list

According to WADA no Australian ‘support staff’ (as they call it) are on the banned list

So they could use Dank to get some handy supplements in their time off?

I'm reading it as any person who trains the players would be committing a doping offense by workign with them. They then would be banned from all WADA compliant sports.

I’ve asked for clarification from an sports lawyer but not yet heard back.

I’m pretty sure if it’s a support staff member banned then an unbanned player can’t work with them or they’ll be banned. But it’s not the case the other way adound ( banned player working with unbanned support staff).

But I’ll tweet Sam Lane QC to get confirmation

Restraint of trade.

^ should the players sue the afl and WADA for restraint of trade? Lol

So they could use Dank to get some handy supplements in their time off?

Banned by AFL not WADA
Not sure how that works lol

And I’ve just read literally the entire WADA code and there’s nothing at all relating to a coach working with a banned athlete

They should find a public venue and a coach unaffiliated with Essendon to keep their work together up. I hear Windy Hill is free and some Hird fella can put them through their paces.

Deleted post

"10.12.1
Prohibition against Participation during Ineligibility
No athlete or other Person who has been declared
Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility,
participate in any capacity in a Competition
or activity (other than authorized anti-doping
education or rehabilitation programs) authorized
or organized by any Signatory, Signatory’s
member organization, or a club or other
member organization of a Signatory’s member
organization, or in Competitions authorized or
organized by any professional league or any
international- or national-level event organization
or any elite or national-level sporting activity
funded by a governmental agency.

An athlete or other Person subject to a period of
Ineligibility longer than four years may, after
completing four years of the period of Ineligibility,
participate as an athlete in local sport events not
sanctioned or otherwise under the jurisdiction of
a Code Signatory or member of a Code Signatory,
but only so long as the local sport event is not at
a level that could otherwise qualify such athlete
or other Person directly or indirectly to compete
in (or accumulate points toward) a national
championship or International event, and does
not involve the athlete or other Person working
in any capacity with Minors.

Ineligibility shall remain subject to testing. "

Reading that, there should be no issue with the players utilising the local gym or employing
a personal trainer, so long as that gym or personal trainer is not a signatory, or subject to the rules
of a signatory organisation or under the age of 18.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12558804_1684035758540643_1686175941_n.jpg
this was taken one week ago apparently

I think Ryan Crowley might have some idea how it works.

Fully serious idea

Each week the boys go to a different blitzer’s house to get trained and fed a good home cooked meal (no supplements)

They then watch the game with the fans and their family, getting expert feedback on how Stanton is costing us the game without even being on the field, then they’ll apologise because he’ll be standing right there, but then everyone will have cake and it will be okay.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12558804_1684035758540643_1686175941_n.jpg this was taken one week ago apparently

Being able to train together is an advantage, I imagine Hird would be a good candidate as a footy trainer given he is unaffiliated and has offered to help them train (as per Tracey Holmes interview) if the players were OK with that.

"10.12.1 Prohibition against Participation during Ineligibility No athlete or other Person who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate in any capacity in a Competition or activity (other than authorized anti-doping education or rehabilitation programs) authorized or organized by any Signatory, Signatory’s member organization, or a club or other member organization of a Signatory’s member organization, or in Competitions authorized or organized by any professional league or any international- or national-level event organization or any elite or national-level sporting activity funded by a governmental agency.

Ineligibility longer than four years may, after
completing four years of the period of Ineligibility,
participate as an athlete in local sport events not
sanctioned or otherwise under the jurisdiction of
a Code Signatory or member of a Code Signatory,
but only so long as the local sport event is not at
a level that could otherwise qualify such athlete
or other Person directly or indirectly to compete
in (or accumulate points toward) a national
championship or International event, and does
not involve the athlete or other Person working
in any capacity with Minors.

Ineligibility shall remain subject to testing. "

Reading that, there should be no issue with the players utilising the local gym or employing
a personal trainer, so long as that gym or personal trainer is not a signatory, or subject to the rules
of a signatory organisation or under the age of 18.

That mentions a four year period of ineligibility, so I assume it is the current ruling. Since they got the old maximum of two years under the old ruling, are any other details different?

Are the AFLPA a “signatory’s member organisation”? (I assume yes.). If so, they won’t be allowed to organise training or pay for the trainers/facilities for the players.

Here’s a hypothetical, would the players continue to get tested for a ‘drug’ that they couldn’t find in the players system in the first place ? I guess it sounds like a simple yes but if they have already been proven guilty of it if there a real need to test, given it doesn’t show up? Because if they did test for it and say it one day shows up in their system how do they prove its from a current or historic intake ?

This is of course If they have taken the forbidden drugs in question.