Training Thursday 10/3/16

Training at Tullamarine in cool, overcast conditions.

The highlight of the session was Kommer having his haircut which on the surface appears amusing but it hid a rather lacklustre session where the players performed their drills with fair competence but without any sense of urgency or build up to the West Coast game. You can argue that this is reasonable at this stage of the year but I would have thought that after what they dished up in the first half at Shepparton there would be some pride involved and an eagerness to make ammends.

In particular I was looking to see some attention paid to the forward set up at Shepparton where long bombs were kicked into a single tall forward, usually out numbered, with few if any smaller players gut running back into the forward line to crumb, help out and provide alternatives or to apply forward pressure on defenders running the ball with ease out of the backline. So much work is needed in this area.

Crowley, Wallis, Parish and Polkinghorne didn’t join the main group so I doubt they will be selected this week.

However I don’t want to sound too negative, it wasn’t bad today just uninspiring. I have great confidence in our calm and measured coach that he has the situation in hand and I think the West Coast game will give a clearer indication of where we stand.

In case you missed the VFL thread there will be a practice match at Tulla at 12 noon on Saturday.

Thanks JM. Can you please give some detail in how Gleesons and J Merretts preseasons have been so far. Ie more vocal at training etc, have done every session, have put on weight, etc I think this year could be a break out year for both.

Im also looking forward to Kommer & Stokes in the same forwardline this weekend would be great if we could build some forwardline chemistry. Its a shame Yestin Eades has missed all the NAB games.

Gleeson has trained very well and looks a bit bigger. He had an off day at Shep.

Jackson Merrett is bigger and getting the ball a bit more and tackling better but strangely his disposal has deteriorated. He missed a couple of goals against Carlton and missed targets at Shep. His disposal was one of the arguments for keeping him in the side last year despite his lack of possessions.

Thanks JM. Which of the big fellas trained? Loonie? Jamar? And is Gach back out there yet?

All trained. Gach looks like he’s over his injury.

The highlight of the session was Kommer having his haircut which on the surface appears amusing but it hid a rather lacklustre session where the players performed their drills with fair competence but without any sense of urgency or build up to the West Coast game. You can argue that this is reasonable at this stage of the year but I would have thought that after what they dished up in the first half at Shepparton there would be some pride involved and an eagerness to make ammends.

In particular I was looking to see some attention paid to the forward set up at Shepparton where long bombs were kicked into a single tall forward, usually out numbered, with few if any smaller players gut running back into the forward line to crumb, help out and provide alternatives or to apply forward pressure on defenders running the ball with ease out of the backline. So much work is needed in this area.

Crowley, Wallis, Parish and Polkinghorne didn’t join the main group so I doubt they will be selected this week.

However I don’t want to sound too negative, it wasn’t bad today just uninspiring. I have great confidence in our calm and measured coach that he has the situation in hand and I think the West Coast game will give a clearer indication of where we stand.

Really?

I think about 8 games into the actual season will give us a clearer indication of where we are.

Agree; I think we may be looking at an all WA GF this year, so getting a flogging in foreign territory in hot conditions this week is expected, & won’t really tell us if we are really ■■■■■■ or only partly ■■■■■■ this year.

Most teams travelling to WA during the H&A this season will get a bit of a touch up I reckon.

Thanks Jackie

Thanks JM.
Can you please give some detail in how Gleesons and J Merretts preseasons have been so far.
Ie more vocal at training etc, have done every session, have put on weight, etc
I think this year could be a break out year for both.

Im also looking forward to Kommer & Stokes in the same forwardline this weekend would be great if we could build some forwardline chemistry. Its a shame Yestin Eades has missed all the NAB games.

So whats new. Is this problem embedded in our players DNA or something ?

Thanks Jackie.

Really?

I think about 8 games into the actual season will give us a clearer indication of where we are.

thanks as always jackie!

Thanks JM. Will have the Camera back in action next week.

Thanks JM. Which of the big fellas trained? Loonie? Jamar? And is Gach back out there yet?

Anyone head to the VFL practice match today?

Is that a trick question?

No , I didnt go

I’m here at the VFL praccy match. About as still as I’ve ever seen it here at Tulla which is good. Normally blowing a gale and kicks spraying all over the joint.

Francis ready to rumble

Hams skipper today

Needs a Marigliani or a Hardingham to feel like I’m watching a Dons VFL match tbh

No one doing much.
Francis getting exhausted a lot.
Grima marshalling the defenders.
Leuy moving very well.