Training Thursday 18/8/16

Training at Tullamarine in sunny conditions with a strong north wind blowing into the Sheedy Cafe pocket.

it was close to a sunny spring day today and the yellow of the buttercups festooning the embankments offseting the gaily patterned red and black trainers’ tent flanked by the short orange penants swaying in the breeze forming the border of where I was allowed to stand made me think of a medieval tourney and I wished that Tiffany was there to share the moment with me.

Training was very upbeat and enthusiastic with the players showing a great sense of enjoyment after wins in the firsts and seconds. Of course things are still winding down but there was some match practice and a pleasing amount of skill development.

I will begin with Hurley. I’m very aware of the quality of reports on what his plans are and I don’t know for certain what he is doing nor can I name my sources. I was told today by a club official that Hurley was expected to train at St Bernard’s on Monday and that Hibberd was expected to train on Friday. I then asked another club official how likely it was that my source would know this and he said that there was a high probability. I give you this for what it’s worth. My personal opinion is that if he comes back and starts training again it means he’s staying.

I won’t go through all the drills today but a couple of highlights were the ruck training where Gach put one right onto the chest of a running Parish and a hard tackle by Fantasia on McKenna followed by a second push after he had taken him to ground. A very focused man is Fantasia at present. A double baulk by Kelly added to my enjoyment of the day.

Joe kicked a 70 metre goal with the wind behind him and I will describe an interesting drill he did with Skippy and LaVerde. Four differently coloured cones were placed in a rectangle just a bit wider than the width of the goals and directly in front of them. The back two were about 15 metres from the goal line and the front two were about 35 metres from goal and a white cone was placed on the centre of the rectangle. (Older blitzes who played marbles at school might remember setting the alleys out in similar patterns in the dust.)

Joe would stand at the centre white disc and Skippy would call out a colour and Joe would sprint backwards or forwards to that corner then hook back after the first dummy lead to receive a pass from LaVerde kicking from the centre of the ground. It was so good to see leading being practised and I look forward in coming years to LaVerde to Daniher -goal!

The club is emerging from it’s winter of discontent, spring is in the air and happy days lie ahead.

Brilliant as always Jackie!

Soo…did Hurley train?

great report as always

Great work Jackie. Love it.

JACKIE!!!, love it.

In: Gach!

That last paragraph… ohhhhhh myyyyyyyyy

I will begin with Hurley. I’m very aware of the quality of reports on what his plans are and I don’t know for certain what he is doing nor can I name my sources. I was told today by a club official that Hurley was expected to train at St Bernard’s on Monday and that Hibberd was expected to train on Friday. I then asked another club official how likely it was that my source would know this and he said that there was a high probability. I give you this for what it’s worth. My personal opinion is that if he comes back and starts training again it means he’s staying.

The Hurley information being correct strengthens the proposition that what I was told about Hibberd is probably correct.

Pre-season positivity isn’t waiting for the current season to end, this year.

Nice news on Gach. His development is highly interesting.

Love it Jackie

Awesome report again!
Thank you!

Thanks Jackie.

Training at Tullamarine in sunny conditions with a strong north wind blowing into the Sheedy Cafe pocket.

it was close to a sunny spring day today and the yellow of the buttercups festooning the embankments offseting the gaily patterned red and black trainers’ tent flanked by the short orange penants swaying in the breeze forming the border of where I was allowed to stand made me think of a medieval tourney and I wished that Tiffany was there to share the moment with me.

Training was very upbeat and enthusiastic with the players showing a great sense of enjoyment after wins in the firsts and seconds. Of course things are still winding down but there was some match practice and a pleasing amount of skill development.

I won’t go through all the drills today but a couple of highlights were the ruck training where Gach put one right onto the chest of a running Parish and a hard tackle by Fantasia on McKenna followed by a second push after he had taken him to ground. A very focused man is Fantasia at present. A double baulk by Kelly added to my enjoyment of the day.

Joe kicked a 70 metre goal with the wind behind him and I will describe an interesting drill he did with Skippy and LaVerde. Four differently coloured cones were placed in a rectangle just a bit wider than the width of the goals and directly in front of them. The back two were about 15 metres from the goal line and the front two were about 35 metres from goal and a white cone was placed on the centre of the rectangle. (Older blitzes who played marbles at school might remember setting the alleys out in similar patterns in the dust.)

Joe would stand at the centre white disc and Skippy would call out a colour and Joe would sprint backwards or forwards to that corner then hook back after the first dummy lead to receive a pass from LaVerde kicking from the centre of the ground. It was so good to see leading being practised and I look forward in coming years to LaVerde to Daniher -goal!

The club is emerging from it’s winter of discontent, spring is in the air and happy days lie ahead.

Did Joe kick at goal after these efforts at the end?

It was more about marking on the lead than shooting for goal from close in.

Training is often Joe in one on one marking contests for high balls kicked in yet the forward line functions best when forwards lead up at the ball carrier so it was pleasing to see some work on leading patterns with LaVerde as the high forward and Joe leading from closer to goal.

I’d like to report that I spent a few hours kicking at goal with JoeDan last night… sometime between the hours of midnight and 0600. His strike rate was about 70%, but he missed a roost from the centre circle (oobotf). I, on the other hand, sprained my ankle with my first kick.