Training Thursday 20/815

Was going to mention a few things, but I think BWAS has covered it.

I will ad this, just as an afterthought:

Going out to training today was good for me in the sense that you get to see the players doing their thing, as well as seeing them as people. Whilst as Jackie mentioned, it wasn’t a high intensity session and didn’t instil a hell of a lot of confidence for this week - I honestly don’t know which way it will go - nonetheless it has actually made me feel a little better than I had for a while. If you get the chance to head out in the next few weeks, I recommend it. After all the turmoil of the last week, let alone everything else, it was very grounding. Was just good to see Hocking engage a couple of fans, and Demps come up afterwards and have a chat and say Gday to Hurls and a few others on the way out.

The place is still standing.

Good post Zimmer.

It felt to me the small group of fans watching were quieter & flatter than the players…and it was the players that picked up the morale of the fans and not the other way around.

Was going to mention a few things, but I think BWAS has covered it.

I will add this, just as an afterthought:

Going out to training today was good for me in the sense that you get to see the players doing their thing, as well as seeing them as people. Whilst as Jackie mentioned, it wasn’t a high intensity session and didn’t instil a hell of a lot of confidence for this week - I honestly don’t know which way it will go - nonetheless it has actually made me feel a little better than I had for a while. If you get the chance to head out in the next few weeks, I recommend it. After all the turmoil of the last week, let alone everything else, it was very grounding. Was just good to see Hocking engage a couple of fans, and Demps come up afterwards and have a chat and say Gday to Hurls and a few others on the way out.

The place is still standing.

Was Jake "I hate this club" there?

He was and missing simple passes as usual. Ie, landing kicks at player’s feet.

Pretty sure Jobe said in one of his interviews over the past couple of days there is no chance he’ll play anymore this year.

Fair enough.DAMN

If jobe is taking place in the drills, is there a small chance he could play? Wouldnt surprise me in the least if he felt the need to lead the boys out on saturday even if injured

He wasn’t. He was doing fitness drills by himself on the other oval. No chance of playing.

If jobe is taking place in the drills, is there a small chance he could play? Wouldnt surprise me in the least if he felt the need to lead the boys out on saturday even if injured

Attended training, got there a little late, around 1040.

To follow on from Jackie & KB with specifics to fill in any gaps/questions you might all have:

Saw Jobe doing some running drills on the smaller oval for a while.

As mentioned, despite strapping, Hurley moved very well. Didn’t notice Pears really at all so perhaps it might be Hurley in for Pears. Also no Zac Merrett or Cooney (club site says he has gone for some ankle surgery to be ready for the start of the pre-season). Don’t recall seeing Melksham. Giles emerged from the Hanger briefly then went back in so I expect McKernan to come in for him. Heppell went into the Hanger after the first set of drills were complete so hopefully there’s no injury there. Chapman moved well throughout until after training had basically finished and the forwards were doing goal-kicking practice (Hocking got applause for a shot and invited a fan on for a shot who proceeded to miss everything; nice to see some smiles). I noticed him then on his haunches talking to Justin Crow who gave him a little pat on the back and they walked and talked a little before going for a jog, at reasonable pace, around the boundary. Chapman’s mind can still play footy but his body can’t really cope any more.

In terms of structure:

• expect to see Laverde become part of the mid-field rotation full time. Spent all his time with the mids on their drills
  • Fantasia moved well and looked very energetic in the match simulation so don’t be surprised to see him in for Myers if we have Hurley in for Pears and McKernan for Giles.
  • Dempsey will be up forward again

Special note on Conor McKenna: the improvement in his game understanding and kicking skills from earlier this year when I saw training are astounding. He kicks very comfortably off his left (reminds of Pierce Hanley) and even turned straight onto his left to send a pass off his left back into the corridor in the match sim drill. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is better on his non-preferred than most of the list are on theirs. In the match sim he found himself dragged deep by Howlett to the goal square but managed to get behind Howlett somehow to execute a perfect spoil from behind. It was the end favoured by a strong wind and he judged the flight of the ball perfectly.

Whilst it was clearly a low key session, it wasn’t doom & gloom. There was some joking & laughter amongst the players preparing to do goal scoring practice. Hocking engaged the fans. We have about as many players left to pick a team as the Suns who are truly injury ravaged. I think you will see an end-to-end game with little pressure yet many turnovers despite a lack of pressure as many of the best skilled players from both sides won’t be playing. I can easily see someone like Hooker getting hold of the Suns in the air up forward. his marking in the wind was excellent.

Was Jake “I hate this club” there?

Lloyd also captained a team in turmoil. Just some friendly advice perhaps?

Thanks for that Jackie.

Quick question : how did all the injured players travel? Do you think Myers/Hurley will get up? Any sight of Zerrett (he is cooked for the year isn’t he?). Any chance of a farewell came for fletch/winders? Was Chapman training with the main group?

Hurls, maybe, Myers no. (IMO) Chappy was training with the main group. Fletch Winders, see above.

Thanks for that Jackie.

Quick question : how did all the injured players travel? Do you think Myers/Hurley will get up? Any sight of Zerrett (he is cooked for the year isn’t he?). Any chance of a farewell came for fletch/winders? Was Chapman training with the main group?

Myers is out for the year. Someone said Zac’s injury is not as bad as feared but with this type of injury there is not much to gain by bringing him back. Chapman trained with the main group.

Thanks for that

Presumably Lloyd stepping up to fwd line coach temporarily - jackie did you notice whether Bass was doing anything with the backs (Egan's former role)? Wonder if he'd do it full time. Also wonder if it would be a good thing.

Bass was taking the forwards.

thanks all for your input.

Presumably Lloyd stepping up to fwd line coach temporarily - jackie did you notice whether Bass was doing anything with the backs (Egan’s former role)?
Wonder if he’d do it full time.
Also wonder if it would be a good thing.

Can people stop equating not being a member to withdrawing all support for the players and club? frankly its pathetic.

when I was there, I noticed that there were no media attending… ( must be happy with Tuesday outcome)

Great job of feeding that stuff fellas much appreciated

Thanks for that Jackie.