Training Thursday 22/5/14

Superb. This is why I come to Blitz.

And of course to check the sorry saga thread to see that for the 30th week in a row absolutely nothing has happened.

Such a great read, a true highlight of blitz.

You don't hear much from Tiffany these days.

Great report. I so look forward to these training reports. I get a visual picture, (is that a tautology?) and can see the players on the ground. I love the way you are able to describe the mood. It really helps with that tautology.

Is indeed a tautology
And for the record
Hurley's hair is awesome ;)

Hi Jackie,

I thought I should add that I have read the first sentence to at least half a dozen people, including my 20's and 30's yo sons, and 90 yo mother, and all agree that

"made the netting behind the goals hum and crack like a schooner under full sail." 

is both a wonderful analogy and beautiful writing that is unfortunately rarely seen these days.

Although I look forward to your training reports each week for all the reasons I have previously stated, it is also because of the way you write.

It is indeed a pleasure to read.

“Put the fun back into football.” Jack Clarke 1968.
I still remember that so clearly:)
Cheers Jackie. I hope you and Tiff can kiss and make up.

Outstanding stuff as per usual JM. Was Melksham out there in full training today?

thanks Jackie

your observations & skill of communication are a gift to us all

Outstanding stuff as per usual JM. Was Melksham out there in full training today?

Yes.

thanks for the report Jackie! Hopefully things are starting to turn a corner. I think I will visit the lid off thread.

Yes.
Good to hear. Cheers mate.

You don't hear much from Tiffany these days.

JM's Fritzl'd her

"Put the fun back into football." Jack Clarke 1968.
I still remember that so clearly:)
Cheers Jackie. I hope you and Tiff can kiss and make up.

Could't we use a bit of that right now.  Football is anything but fun at the moment.

So much for all the doom and gloom of the ongoing FASADA saga having an ongoing effect on the playing list. lf we play like we train we will crush the Tiges. Sounds good, now if only we can reproduce some of that form in a real match rather than a simulation. While the forward line remains a work in progress it is nice to hear that it is getting some much needed attention. We also can't underestimate the influence that the return of Belly is having on the team. Jack Clarke in his first season as coach in 1968 also instituted what was called the merry - go - round forward line, where players would rotate positions to get mismatches. He truly was ahead of his time, in his thinking.  

Wonderful report Jackie, as per usual. 

It's often mention that we will play like we train, though it seems the best training sessions are the ones that are upbeat, lots of encouragement, very vocal etc.

But come game day it seems much more serious, probably due to the added pressure of more people watching and 4 points being up for grabs, plus opposition players in your face so it's hard to have a joke amongst yourselves while trying to intimidate them.

Morale and enthusiasm, passion and inspiration can be the hardest part of coaching, because it is highly influenced by outside factors (e.g. media) but also internal factors such as playing guys out of position to benefit the team in the long term.

It must have been tempting for Bomber and the coaching staff to just let the players do whatever they want, in a year where morale is challenged and the club is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men and rabid dogs.

I think it's a credit to the coaching staff that they have ackowledged the raft of issues that confront the players and have got them to stand up to the challenges without any serious fallout.

I know we have a long way to go as a team before we will play consistantly good football but all the signs are there (not many injuries, not giving up etc) that should see us turn the corner in the next few matches.

Thanks again for your training reports Jackie. I'd love to get to a training session one day, I suppose I just need to take a day off work.

I heard that the players were pretty happy with the outcomes of the meeting about ASADA on Wednesday night and the observation that the players seem to have got their mojo back supports this :) 

Interesting to read about Jake C's positive attitude up forward. I would love Bomber to tell big Joe to "do a Nick Riewoldt" and run all around the half forward area and wing, even up to half-back. Leave the forward line to Jake (Jake's paddock) and see how he goes.

The cheer squad telling them to move the ball forward quicker;

tumblr_mr7et258TQ1qz7lxdo1_500.gif

Isn't that deliberate out of bounds? 

Ahead of his time, Robert Palmer. 

I heard that the players were pretty happy with the outcomes of the meeting about ASADA on Wednesday night and the observation that the players seem to have got their mojo back supports this :)

If this is true, we will smash Richmond. Like what we did to Carlton.

The cheer squad telling them to move the ball forward quicker;

tumblr_mr7et258TQ1qz7lxdo1_500.gif

Isn't that deliberate out of bounds? 

Ahead of his time, Robert Palmer.

Teamwork