Training Thursday 27/2/14

Great to hear Dempsey and Melksham nearly ready.

No Carlisle?

Let's just say he's gaining some wisdom by losing some wisdom.

ah ha! Wisdom teeth removal.... Very painful.

Was Edwards traiing fully JM? Loving your reports.

Yes
I am surprised he hasnt been played yet.
Some essendon fb fan page was trying to tell me he wasn't playing cause he was in a moon boot n I was trying to tell them that's incorrect he has been training but. They were so stubborn!

Great to hear Dempsey and Melksham nearly ready.

No Carlisle?

Let's just say he's gaining some wisdom by losing some wisdom.

ah ha! Wisdom teeth removal.... Very painful.

oh! I remember going through that, it sucked!!!

Based on Tuesday night's performance I suggest that JM's training reports are all fiction and he has played a clever on going prank on us all. Well done sir - but we are awake to it now.

I don't know what to say my reports that I have made up sitting at home have been exposed!

The first half against Gold Coast was what they have been practicing at training I've no idea what Tuesday night was all about but my guess is the coach is much more annoyed than he let on in his media conference.  The attitude at training today was very flat and subdued.  Either they are licking their wounds or they are showing a quiet, steely determination to do better take your pick.

Based on Tuesday night's performance I suggest that JM's training reports are all fiction and he has played a clever on going prank on us all. Well done sir - but we are awake to it now.

I have already "unliked" all my previous "likes". If that doesn't teach him a lesson, I don't know what will.

Unkind and unnecessary! JM has been reporting practice as he sees it. At this time of year, it doesn't always translate into practice match victories.
What is evident is that players have not yet figured out in a predictable manner, the running patterns and decision-making patterns of their teammates. When this clicks into place, the on-field performances will improve dramatically.
Confidence in one another is a gold nugget.

I have already "unliked" all my previous "likes". If that doesn't teach him a lesson, I don't know what will.
All a fabrication so he can explain to Mrs M what he does half the week.
He's actually slaying ■■■■■■■ non stop.

I posted this on the pre-game day thread that has since been locked, but to JM and others who’ve made it down to training over summer, can I ask how Jobe’s pre season has been?

Obviously looked a little out of sorts the other night, is there anything behind that and his no show in game 1? Or am I reading too much into it and his pre season has just been business as usual?

Cheers in advance!

Unkind and unnecessary! JM has been reporting practice as he sees it. At this time of year, it doesn't always translate into practice match victories.
What is evident is that players have not yet figured out in a predictable manner, the running patterns and decision-making patterns of their teammates. When this clicks into place, the on-field performances will improve dramatically.

Just jokes my friend. Just jokes - and from his response JM understood it as intended.

I for one love the training reports that JM and you (and others from time-to-time) provide us.

I don't know what to say my reports that I have made up sitting at home have been exposed!

The first half against Gold Coast was what they have been practicing at training I've no idea what Tuesday night was all about but my guess is the coach is much more annoyed than he let on in his media conference.  The attitude at training today was very flat and subdued.  Either they are licking their wounds or they are showing a quiet, steely determination to do better take your pick.

Yes the first half against GC was fantastic and seemd to reflect a lot of what you had been reporting i.e. great movement from the backline, players running to space, players presenting at 45 deg angles to the kicker, quick decisions making etc.

Tuesday night was...well...the exact opposite.

Yes the first half against GC was fantastic and seemd to reflect a lot of what you had been reporting i.e. great movement from the backline, players running to space, players presenting at 45 deg angles to the kicker, quick decisions making etc.

Tuesday night was...well...the exact opposite.

ah.. well.. I think you will find it was all about lulling opposition teams into a true... er I mean false... sense of security....

I posted this on the pre-game day thread that has since been locked, but to JM and others who've made it down to training over summer, can I ask how Jobe's pre season has been?
Obviously looked a little out of sorts the other night, is there anything behind that and his no show in game 1? Or am I reading too much into it and his pre season has just been business as usual?
Cheers in advance!

Jobe's pre season has not been sparkling and you will notice that in some of the reports he has been spending a lot of time coaching the players and assisting Bomber in teaching the game plan - he has done this with Joe in particular and it is this that helps to make him a fine captain. Remember there is only one runner this year so the on field leadership becomes more important.

This pre-occupation may have affected his performance and at training there have been some dropped marks and scrubbed or misdirected kicks. nothing really bad but a bit below par and this was reflected in his game on Tuesday.

There is nothing behind his no show in game one that would be planned.  If you want him at his best in the finals you may even find him rested for the odd game during the season as part of the plan to monitor the players' fitness and work loads.

I think most of you need to remember you don’t win premierships in Feburary. We weren’t great vs Port but all reports are we are training strongly and starting to get some stuff right.

After rewatching the first quarter, as missed first 4 goals. It looked as though we had started well, similar to first half against Gold Coast. Daniher, winderlich, hibberd all playing well.

Was quite ironic missing all those goals and then hardingham marking and goaling from 45 degrees.

Essington mode. It's like Malware. Hard to remove.

Just jokes my friend. Just jokes - and from his response JM understood it as intended.

I for one love the training reports that JM and you (and others from time-to-time) provide us.

It's ok Fairybread. I figured that out.
I was just concerned that Zebba's "unliking" action will affect JM's statistical performance as a reporter and he might prematurely retire from the role! :)

It's ok Fairybread. I figured that out.
I was just concerned that Zebba's "unliking" action will affect JM's statistical performance as a reporter and he might prematurely retire from the role! :)

Was quite ironic missing all those goals and then hardingham marking and goaling from 45 degrees.

I called that one :D
Seemed an obvious one just to make those first fifteen minutes seem all the more a waste. Game could have been over.

Woah!!! I was joking!! I have the greatest appreciation for ALL the people making their reports, and Jackie is at the top of the list of people I want to shout a beer.

Players paired off and the emphasis was on moving back quickly to speed up taking your kick. The actual instruction was asking them to kick off one backward step but this was largely disobeyed as players took several steps to get balanced. I'm inclined to agree with them the kick off a single backward step is difficult to do and often goes astray And should be more of any emergency measure.

Thanks JM. Awesome as usual.

As for the above. I was always taught work on your weaknesses not your strengths.

Surely it is easy to kick when balanced so why not work on kicking under duress.  

Players paired off and the emphasis was on moving back quickly to speed up taking your kick. The actual instruction was asking them to kick off one backward step but this was largely disobeyed as players took several steps to get balanced. I'm inclined to agree with them the kick off a single backward step is difficult to do and often goes astray And should be more of any emergency measure.

Thanks JM. Awesome as usual.

As for the above. I was always taught work on your weaknesses not your strengths.

Surely it is easy to kick when balanced so why not work on kicking under duress.  

Your argument is sound but at the start of the drill the coach said "Everything you do do well" so if he wanted them to practice kicking under duress off one step he should have insisted on it instead of telling them to do one thing (kick off one step) and then letting them do another which is not the key to having a disciplined unit as we saw on Tuesday night when they continually played down the line instead of spreading and following the game plan. Perhaps I'm getting too concerned with the nuances of training but do you see what I am raising as an issue which reflects on the bigger picture of how they train?