Training Thursday 3/4/14

Training in cool conditions at Tullamarine.

Training on the McCracken oval was upbeat but lacked the intensity of the session before the Hawthorn game - let’s say a quiet confidence today.

You will be pleased to hear that Tommy Bellchambers is moving well and joined in a lot of the practice session before the match play. My guess is that Carlisle and Joe will share the ruck duties this weekend and Thurlow will play VFL based on the premise that we have been told Paddy’s injury is of short duration.

It was interesting to hear that when Essendon got the run on last week the Hawthorn players were in disarray and arguing amongst themselves. It was amusing watching the Carlton spy parked across the road who wound up his car window every time an Essendon official walked towards him - a bit like the guilty Carlton player some years ago who disgraced himself in a parked car in Lygon St… Simon Goodwin was also a bit security conscious today and asked us to move away as he directed a special throw in drill but he need not worry as I won’t report the new tactic which they are developing.

The match play today continued the structures and running patterns which the players have been learning all pre season. e.g. Playing on quickly and taking the early option where possible with Joe being told to “take options” when he dithered over taking a kick.

Goodwin urged Melksham to “think about what you do” and Jake stopped running back to the centre and changed course to make position for a short pass.

Bomber stopped play and instructed them “Don’t all run for the deep flood” which compromises the structures and clogs up the forward line when the back men push too far up the field.

It was interesting to see Bomber spending some time instructing the players not to call by names “Do it again and you’re off.” He prefers “go left, down the centre etc.” I presume this is because opposition players can call for the ball using your name. At one stage Bomber thought Fletch had called “Benny” to Howlett and cross examined him “What did you say?

What did you say?” Fletch pleaded not guilty and Benny wasn’t going to dob him in and neither will I (which is not the way to end a sentence I know) so let us say Bomber’s humour was to the fore and he enjoyed the situation immensely.

It was a good session Winderlich and Melksham were prominent and we should play well on the Sabbath.

Like this post if the new tactic is a flying V.

did thurlow actually train with the main group?

massive role of the dice if they don't play him.

I don't know why Essendon don't send Jackie over to chat with the sad opposition spies at certain points in training, if not the inestimable Tiffany.

Prominent, I like the sound of that.

Thanks JM.

JM, thanks for yet another excellent report. As usual, you provide some of the most interesting and informative
analysis that I’ve ever read about on-field Essendon. You put the football media and the EFC website to shame.

Thanks JM.

Did Dalgleish have a full training session with the seniors? If so, assume he'll line up in VFL this weekend?

PS! Why would Mickey Malthouse want to spy on us?

Bomba should have just invited him in to show how to really coach!

Simon Goodwin was also a bit security conscious today and asked us to move away as he directed a special throw in drill but he need not worry as I won't report the new tactic which they are developing.

Aww, c'mon. We won't tell anyone.........................Honest!

Simon Goodwin was also a bit security conscious today and asked us to move away as he directed a special throw in drill but he need not worry as I won't report the new tactic which they are developing.

Aww, c'mon. We won't tell anyone.........................Honest!

Is it win?

I'll bet it's win.

Melksham not instinctively going to the centre will be a hard habit to break, whenever he gets it he pivots towards the middle, which I kinda like.

Melksham not instinctively going to the centre will be a hard habit to break, whenever he gets it he pivots towards the middle, which I kinda like.

When he tore Carlton a new one he hovered around the middle.

Thanks JM.

We should play well on Sunday too! (Sabbath is Saturday)

Like it more if it is an atomic wedgie. 

Training in cool conditions at Tullamarine.
Training on the McCracken oval was upbeat but lacked the intensity of the session before the Hawthorn game - let's say a quiet confidence today.
You will be pleased to hear that Tommy Bellchambers is moving well and joined in a lot of the practice session before the match play. My guess is that Carlisle and Joe will share the ruck duties this weekend and Thurlow will play VFL based on the premise that we have been told Paddy's injury is of short duration.
It was interesting to hear that when Essendon got the run on last week the Hawthorn players were in disarray and arguing amongst themselves. It was amusing watching the Carlton spy parked across the road who wound up his car window every time an Essendon official walked towards him - a bit like the guilty Carlton player some years ago who disgraced himself in a parked car in Lygon St.. Simon Goodwin was also a bit security conscious today and asked us to move away as he directed a special throw in drill but he need not worry as I won't report the new tactic which they are developing.
The match play today continued the structures and running patterns which the players have been learning all pre season. e.g. Playing on quickly and taking the early option where possible with Joe being told to "take options" when he dithered over taking a kick.
Goodwin urged Melksham to "think about what you do" and Jake stopped running back to the centre and changed course to make position for a short pass.
Bomber stopped play and instructed them "Don't all run for the deep flood" which compromises the structures and clogs up the forward line when the back men push too far up the field.
It was interesting to see Bomber spending some time instructing the players not to call by names "Do it again and you're off." He prefers "go left, down the centre etc." I presume this is because opposition players can call for the ball using your name. At one stage Bomber thought Fletch had called "Benny" to Howlett and cross examined him "What did you say?
What did you say?" Fletch pleaded not guilty and Benny wasn't going to dob him in and neither will I (which is not the way to end a sentence I know) so let us say Bomber's humour was to the fore and he enjoyed the situation immensely.
It was a good session Winderlich and Melksham were prominent and we should play well on the Sabbath.

tumblr_n1nx7dC3yB1qhub34o1_500.gif

Like it more if it is an atomic wedgie. 

Like it even more if it is Lonergan running onto the field from the crowd to tackle Carrazzo.

I think there is a fair bit of subtlety to Jackie's training reports. I like to read too much into them and then assume Jackie has a rather dry sense of humour and try to decipher what he really means.

For example:

I won't report the new tactic which they are developing.

I translate this to mean "It was a bit of a mess and I have NFI what they were trying to accomplish or how it looked different from any other throw in".

let us say Bomber's humour was to the fore and he enjoyed the situation immensely

I like to imagine Bomber completely lost it....

My guess is that Carlisle and Joe will share the ruck duties this weekend and Thurlow will play VFL based on the premise that we have been told Paddy's injury is of short duration.

IT'S THURLOW TIME!!!!

Am I close Jackie??

Where Kommer at?

NO THURLOWSHOW

Where Kommer at?

The doctor's