Training Tuesday 11/3/14

Kommer is cooked by the sounds of how much he’s trained lately

Kommer is cooked by the sounds of how much he's trained lately

Enter Zerrett.

Is Kommer's issue a hammie too?

Is Kommer's issue a hammie too?

knee tendonitis, apparently

Kommer is cooked by the sounds of how much he's trained lately

New nickname is Korma so I think you're right.

The pre-season games have been painful to watch. There seems to be a lot of scrambling, poor passing to flat-footed players and no kicking to advantage, and poor finishing when on the counter attack so it's good to see this area being addressed.

I do wonder that with so many kids playing whether all we needed was just a bit more experience/polish and we would have walked away winners in at least the first 2 games.

Cant wait to see the team announcements on Thursday night, will be interesting to see who the coaches are backing.

I am not saying this is the case, but keep it in mind folks:

All the bad things that've been the hallmark so far, have typically been the consequences when we've overtrained/under-recovered, when we're down to 27 fit players and 19 of them are carrying a niggle, when the guys are just spent: they simply can't make the effort to run on & make an option, to run back & help.

Eg: the last 1/4 of any season (or the last 9/10ths of 2012).

Yes people can point out this & that faults with the structure, but no structure in the world will hold up if the players aren't getting there.

I'm not saying it is the case that they've been flogged, but it will be interesting to see if there is a difference in rd 1.

Thanks Jackie. 

Re. your point on finishing off the play and kicking the goal: I noticed the couple of times that I've been to training that there are often drills focused on moving the ball from one end to the ground to the other in which, once the ball enters the forward line, it's immediately switched back the other way without an attempt to score. 

When I see our difficulties finishing - kicking "the ******* goal" - in the practice matches, and even last year, I kept thinking about this drill wondering if it wouldn't be better to make it complete. I realise the focus is on fast ball movement and continual running, but I wonder if it has not had an adverse effect on the goal kicking confidence - kicks seem either rushed or lazy. To compound this, set shot kicking doesn't seem to be taken very seriously, just a bit of time out, or fun at the end of a session. 

I stress, I've only been to training a couple of times over the summer, so I could be way off, but this kept niggling at me. 

Dempsey train? Because I saw him at future music festival Sunday!

Jeez. Talk about embarrassing. Couldn't have lied & said you were both getting genital warts removed or at a Bronies support group meeting?

Jeez. Talk about embarrassing. Couldn't have lied & said you were both getting genital warts removed or at a Bronies support group meeting?
Shoaib Akhtar once used the genital warts excuse when missing a test match for Pakistan!

Shoaib Akhtar once used the genital warts excuse when missing a test match for Pakistan!

He actually went to see "Six & Out" play live and was too embarrassed to tell anyone.

The pre-season games have been painful to watch. There seems to be a lot of scrambling, poor passing to flat-footed players and no kicking to advantage, and poor finishing when on the counter attack so it's good to see this area being addressed.

I do wonder that with so many kids playing whether all we needed was just a bit more experience/polish and we would have walked away winners in at least the first 2 games.

Cant wait to see the team announcements on Thursday night, will be interesting to see who the coaches are backing.

All the bad things that've been the hallmark so far, have typically been the consequences when we've overtrained/under-recovered, when we're down to 27 fit players and 19 of them are carrying a niggle, when the guys are just spent: they simply can't make the effort to run on & make an option, to run back & help.

Yes people can point out this & that faults with the structure, but no structure in the world will hold up if the players aren't getting there.

I'm not saying it is the case that they've been flogged, but it will be interesting to see if there is a difference in rd 1.

That's right and it's a shorter pre-season and so our praccy matches have been in the middle of a heavy training load (apparently).

Still, even at the start of these matches we've struggled to kick, catch and handball.

I'm really hoping that we can turn it around on Friday night, I'd love to be able to stick it up everyone and show that we are here to play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't the Bombers side be named NEXT Thursday night and not THIS Thursday night?

Or are we expecting an extended bench side this Thursday for the following Friday a week later?

That's right and it's a shorter pre-season and so our praccy matches have been in the middle of a heavy training load (apparently).

Still, even at the start of these matches we've struggled to kick, catch and handball.

I'm really hoping that we can turn it around on Friday night, I'd love to be able to stick it up everyone and show that we are here to play.

There's no way we'll turn it around this friday

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't the Bombers side be named NEXT Thursday night and not THIS Thursday night?

Or are we expecting an extended bench side this Thursday for the following Friday a week later?

Your first assumption is correct, team won't be named until next week. 

There has been a constant emphasis on field kicking all pre season.  ...

That's a worry then.

Thanks again for the report Jackie.  Did Hocking train?

No

How was the Bailey news taken at the club, particularly for Bomber who was a team-mate of his and Doc Reid.

I don't know Bomber doesn't usually have a chat with me but I do remember that in the 80's Dean Bailey would come into the Social Club and would have a chat - there was no elitism about him.

..... This meant that the drill was conducted with about twenty players on the field leaving plenty of space for running and ball movement.

I've read a lot of these reports over the summer and have continually wondered. Why practice this way so often when it NEVER happens in games? The ground is always clustered.
(Question open to the floor not just JM)

Its a very complex question - the first half of the Gold Coast game is an example of it happening.  I have my views but would not state them unless the club asked me to.

Thanks Jackie. 

Re. your point on finishing off the play and kicking the goal: I noticed the couple of times that I've been to training that there are often drills focused on moving the ball from one end to the ground to the other in which, once the ball enters the forward line, it's immediately switched back the other way without an attempt to score. 

To compound this, set shot kicking doesn't seem to be taken very seriously, just a bit of time out, or fun at the end of a session. 

I stress, I've only been to training a couple of times over the summer, so I could be way off, but this kept niggling at me. 

Goal kicking practice is taken very seriously an example being Neil Craig's intensive coaching of Joe Daniher.