Training Tuesday 11/3/14

Dempsey train? Because I saw him at future music festival Sunday!

Yes.

Thank you for these reports, it’s such a great contribution to the Blitz community.

Bit of a worry both zaka and hocking didn’t train considering they both copped “knocks” on Friday! Jackie - should we be concerned?

I wouldn't be.

Both have played 3 matches so I would be worried if they didn't train next week.

Dempsey train? Because I saw him at future music festival Sunday!

All I want to know is how big his pubis were, cos no one in the team has earned a day to let their hair loose. :P

..... This meant that the drill was conducted with about twenty players on the field leaving plenty of space for running and ball movement.

I've read a lot of these reports over the summer and have continually wondered. Why practice this way so often when it NEVER happens in games? The ground is always clustered.
(Question open to the floor not just JM)

Its a very complex question - the first half of the Gold Coast game is an example of it happening.  I have my views but would not state them unless the club asked me to.

One comment from Bombers post match interview against Richmond suggested the players on the fringe of getting a game broke their structure to try and impress.  Which ironically didn't work. 

I do wonder whether the abundance of small sided match simulation this preseason has resulted in a bit of pressure shock for the players in the actual practice matches. They have got used to the space 20 players afford them to move the ball and consequently they are rushing things a little because they aren’t used to feeling the implied or actual pressure. Just a thought

..... This meant that the drill was conducted with about twenty players on the field leaving plenty of space for running and ball movement.

I've read a lot of these reports over the summer and have continually wondered. Why practice this way so often when it NEVER happens in games? The ground is always clustered.
(Question open to the floor not just JM)

Its a very complex question - the first half of the Gold Coast game is an example of it happening.  I have my views but would not state them unless the club asked me to.

One comment from Bombers post match interview against Richmond suggested the players on the fringe of getting a game broke their structure to try and impress.  Which ironically didn't work. 

I think you touch on a very interesting point. It could be that competition for places does perhaps impact negatively on the 'selfless buy in' required to implement modern day defensive structure. I also sense that the players may be adjusting to more significant changes in the press\\defensive structure\\et al (from last year) than the club may be projecting to the public. Just my 2 cents.

You know where there's space in our forward 50?
The sky.

nothing but net

I do wonder whether the abundance of small sided match simulation this preseason has resulted in a bit of pressure shock for the players in the actual practice matches. They have got used to the space 20 players afford them to move the ball and consequently they are rushing things a little because they aren't used to feeling the implied or actual pressure. Just a thought

Wondered the same thing. If the group is being split at least 3 ways then there clearly isn't 36 players on the field. That has to leave space that isn't actually there when the real stuff comes along.

I do wonder whether the abundance of small sided match simulation this preseason has resulted in a bit of pressure shock for the players in the actual practice matches. They have got used to the space 20 players afford them to move the ball and consequently they are rushing things a little because they aren't used to feeling the implied or actual pressure. Just a thought

Wondered the same thing. If the group is being split at least 3 ways then there clearly isn't 36 players on the field. That has to leave space that isn't actually there when the real stuff comes along.

I guess that most of the clubs train the same way. I would be surprised if Essendon is one out in this aspect.

Sounds like the feared ASADA saga is not having the effect on players that some in that thread are now predicting. As for the actual drills themselves, they sound like the sort of thing we should have been practicing long ago, not just before R1. 

The main matchplay I saw was half field, 11 on 11. That‘s certainly a denser forward line than you usually see us with!
The thing that you miss in that is any sustained run from the back line forward, which is exaggerated by us missing Hibberd and Dempsey.

Hibbo and Winders?

How was Hurley?

How was Hurley?

A bit backey.

How was Hurley?

A bit backey.

That can't be good.

How was Hurley?

Looked good - trained very enthusiastically and was involved in discussions on the defensive structure on a number of occasions.

Is Winderlich involved in full training jackie, or modified group?

Howd Edwards go? Seems to have drifted off the radar a bit, wondering if hes still a chance to play early despite not playing any nab cup, cheers guys