Training Tuesday 29/7/14

Training at Tullamarine in cool conditions with a strong wind blowing down the ground from the airport end.

Hibberd ran laps and looks unlikely and Joe a bit of running at the end of training. Dempsey suffered some minor discomfort during the session but should be ok.

It was pleasing to see Watson, Bellchambers and Gleeson join in the main training.

Watson didn’t do much kicking and was proppy when kicking on his left but he was moving pretty well and looks like he is not too far aware.

Bellchambers and Gleeson both trained strongly and could be ready to resume in the VFL.

The atmosphere at training was excellent - what we are seeing at the moment is very polished and professional sessions and you can see the value of the excellent training facilities making themselves felt. Looking back at the old sessions at Windy Hill some of the humour and lightheartedness has disappeared and I mourn the passing of the kicking into the wheelie bin for instance but the focused concentration of the training here is probably what is needed in the current environment. However a little bit of the fun of past days remains: Bomber was walking off the oval and casually kicked an impossible bouncing goal from the pocket and after he got over his surprise he pumped his fist in the air and shouted “goal” looking straight at me so I took this as an indication that it should be immortalised in my report.

Some of the most interesting training took place on the smaller Clarke Oval (preparation for the SCG?) where the forwards practised their running patterns and leads. It was significant that Carlisle appeared full of confidence and was directing operations very strongly and enthusiastically between Ambrose, Paddy and himself making sure that players were leading in different directions and doubling back for multiple leads.

Many of the defenders were from the VFL side but Fletcher was spending time with them explaining the nuances of the game and training strongly himself with pacy runs and good handball. Particular attention was paid to Edwards who made an exciting run down the ground with five or six handballs in a row. At the same time it was pleasing to see the forwards being urged to pressure the defenders to create a turnover

I left training with the impression that everything is starting to come together for the implementation of Bomber’s strategy of a strong finish to the season and I think that the team rates itself a chance to beat Sydney and I do too.

"It was pleasing to see Watson, Bellchambers and Gleeson join in the main training"

This line has made my day!

Thanks Jackie!

I like this a lot. Thank you.

Bomber was walking off the oval and casually kicked an impossible bouncing goal from the pocket and after he got over his surprise he pumped his fist in the air and shouted "goal" looking straight at me so I took this as an indication that it should be immortalised in my report.

Brilliant!

I ended up going too. (Hope you don’t mind me adding Jackie).

-Contested footy was a major focus! Small drills consisted of 3 groups of 5-6 where they had to pick up the ball, take the tackle and get it out or bump the tackling pad. Gleeson impressed me a lot through this drill. For a skinney boy, his tackling and ability to get out of the tackle was immense. A lot of encouragement from Hep in that regard.

-Belly was moving freely. Like Jackie said, he’ll probably play VFL but honestly looks fit enough to play 1’s. Was Hibberd doint a fitness test? Walked/jogged laps and participated in handball drills.

-Jobe trained on the smaller ground alone at the end.

-Hardy, Myers, DELL, Trav stayed out afterwards for goal-kicking practice. Wouldn’t be surprised if Hardy plays.

-Also Jackie, did you realize Crowe giving Edwards at the end a massive high-5 and an embracement? Could it be he’ll make his debut for us or just some encouragement?

Bravo JM.

Terrible news about Hibberd.

Which VFL players looked as though they were taking on Pig's role in the defensive set-ups?

You mentioned Edwards. Any chance they'd roll the dice on him? Given the need to find space/break lines on the SCG.

Also has the ability to go 3rd man up like Pig (and Hardy)

I kinda get the feeling that they'd rather play him than someone like Hardingham at this point in the year and Gleeson is obviously too underdone to come str8 back in.

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP. EDWARDS2DELL

Training at Tullamarine in cool conditions with a strong wind blowing down the ground from the airport end.
Hibberd ran laps and looks unlikely and Joe a bit of running at the end of training. Dempsey suffered some minor discomfort during the session but should be ok.
It was pleasing to see Watson, Bellchambers and Gleeson join in the main training.
Watson didn't do much kicking and was proppy when kicking on his left but he was moving pretty well and looks like he is not too far aware.
Bellchambers and Gleeson both trained strongly and could be ready to resume in the VFL.
The atmosphere at training was excellent - what we are seeing at the moment is very polished and professional sessions and you can see the value of the excellent training facilities making themselves felt. Looking back at the old sessions at Windy Hill some of the humour and lightheartedness has disappeared and I mourn the passing of the kicking into the wheelie bin for instance but the focused concentration of the training here is probably what is needed in the current environment. However a little bit of the fun of past days remains: Bomber was walking off the oval and casually kicked an impossible bouncing goal from the pocket and after he got over his surprise he pumped his fist in the air and shouted "goal" looking straight at me so I took this as an indication that it should be immortalised in my report.
Some of the most interesting training took place on the smaller Clarke Oval (preparation for the SCG?) where the forwards practised their running patterns and leads. It was significant that Carlisle appeared full of confidence and was directing operations very strongly and enthusiastically between Ambrose, Paddy and himself making sure that players were leading in different directions and doubling back for multiple leads.
Many of the defenders were from the VFL side but Fletcher was spending time with them explaining the nuances of the game and training strongly himself with pacy runs and good handball. Particular attention was paid to Edwards who made an exciting run down the ground with five or six handballs in a row. At the same time it was pleasing to see the forwards being urged to pressure the defenders to create a turnover
I left training with the impression that everything is starting to come together for the implementation of Bomber's strategy of a strong finish to the season and I think that the team rates itself a chance to beat Sydney and I do too.

Sent a tingle down my spine  :)

tbell a smokey? would certainly be a massive surprise considering he is meant to be out for a couple more but it certainly would help us structurally. sub him have way through the 3rd and let ryder ruck to the line.

hmmmm.......

glad to hear pig is doing lap franklys, given rumours of hammy if he is running laps it can't be a bad one or is nothing at all.

if he is out i wonder if gleeson could also be a smokey. was superb early in the year.

if he is out i wonder if gleeson could also be a smokey. was superb early in the year.

Hasn't played a game at any level since Brisbane in May. Surely not?

Hasn't played a game at any level since Brisbane in May. Surely not?

realise that - getting totally carried with a positive training report - nothing to see here.

Love it that Carlisle running the show in the forward line just as he did in the backline.  Seriously smart player.

Exciting, thank you both for the update.

Love it that Carlisle running the show in the forward line just as he did in the backline.  Seriously smart player.

paddy training as a fwd too - don't make plans for friday night tbell..........

Good to hear BIN getting talked up again. Hasn't been spoken about for a long time.

I ended up going too. (Hope you don't mind me adding
Of course I don't mind come and say hello next time.
-Also Jackie, did you realize Crowe giving Edwards at the end a massive high-5 and an embracement? Could it be he'll make his debut for us or just some encouragement?

It's a possibility if Dempsey is out but I thought he got towelled up a bit against Footscray in the VFL against taller opponents. I see him more as a wingman than a defender at this stage but he is an exciting talent and I think was an emergency on one occasion.

Yeah that is interesting. 

Especially considering Belly was listed as being a few weeks away still. Maybe they think they can roll the dice with Belly and then look to sub him. 

Then again perhaps Ryder just training fwd's as he will push fwd / be rotating with Carlisle as part of ruck play.

Would make a massive difference to our structure if Belly is genuinely in the mix though.  

Fantastic reports, thanks fellas. Sounds like Hibberd will miss which is disappointing, though we can cover him down back with Dempsey (who hopefully is right to play) and Winderlich.

Would love to see Edwards get a debut; he could be a decent sub choice with his pace and willingness to run-and-carry. Dell probably deserves a full game, too.

The most interesting one for me is T-Bell. He would be a huge addition with Daniher out and could play as a deep forward to offer some relief for Carlisle. It would also mean we wouldn't have to stuff our defence around by needing Fletch or Hooker to pinch hit in the ruck/forward line.

EDIT: Should also point out that I'm friggin rapt to see that Gleeson is back into the swing of things, along with Jobe! Outstanding news.

Might be a shoot out on Friday Night!!

Thank you for the report!