Training Tuesday 8/11/16

Training at Tullamarine in mild sunshine and a moderate breeze.

The younger players today in a moderately short, downbeat session as a counterpoint to the excitement of yesterday when the formerly banned players joined the youngsters.

The main thrust of a fairly rusty session was player development and I must say I was impressed with Skippy in his teaching role. The main activity was one on one contested marking of high balls kicked over a short distance. Gleeson was opposed to Francis (looking slimmer), Walla to Fantasia, Joe to Ambrose and Redman on Hartley. Skippy patiently explained holding position when in front, when behind, getting your opponent off balance and getting low to out body your opponent with hips and arms. Often he and his assistant would move the legs and arms of the players to demonstrate the correct position. Player development is arguably the most important job at the club after recruiting and I would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how well we manage this at the club - certainly our excellent facilities are a great help.

At the other end of the ground Parish and Long were practising short passing, bypassing the man on the mark with passes at 45 degrees with variable results. Skippy’s group changed to a little bit of reflex marking, leading an opponent to take the mark over a short five metre distance. This brought back memories of Windy Hill where Colin Hooper would kick full strength passes at Hirdy over ten metres which he invariably took with one sure grab in front of his eyes. Big gap between this and what I saw today with half strength kicks, allbeit over a shorter distance.

I was joined behind the goals by an eighty year old Johnny Synan and Robert Grindrod who runs an Essendon website on Facebook. Johnny is probably best remembered as the trainer who brought the Little Leaguers out in the eighties and nineties. In the 1990 grand final he was fined $5,000 for hitting a trainer and he carries a newspaper cutting with him to show that he was set up. “Sheedy and Mathews threw punches but I didn’t.” A real Essendon fanatic he housed Barnes and Sommerville in a bungalow at the back of his house in Pascoe Vale and complained that Barnesy would appear before his five daughters in his jocks. I suspect that may have been the least of his worries and there are probably several tales waiting to be told there.

This session was then replaced with Joe doing goal kicking practice and you may remember that I was critical in a previous report that there was no one assigned to fox the footies for him. Pleased to report that an enthusiastic Michael Hartley performed this role today and later Mark Harvey.

Joe kicked over a wooden mannequin on wheels which sported a yellow jumper with 25 on the back. Joe had one Essendon sock on his kicking leg pulled right up and the other down. A glove on his right hand covered what was presumably the result of a minor operation but it was not a problem and he later discarded it.

Joe first kicked from acute angles on the boundary line of both pockets which was almost a total waste of time. Then he switched to about 35 metres on a 45 degree angle from the cafe pocket which is the wrong side for a left footer over the manequin on the mark.The initial results were pretty dispiriting but when Skippy came out to advise him he steadied somewhat and his results improved. He then switched to the opposite side and finished with set shots from about forty metres straight in front. The hook which was his initial problem has been replaced with a slice, particularly from the cafe side and the hook is a much more occasional error usually from the opposite side of the goals.

As stated previously the effort and enthusiasm is there and he is making progress overall so we should be pleased I think.

Zach Merret came out with Harvey and practised snap shots from all sorts of angles with Harvs showing him how to take a couple of steps to open up the angle. I would expect to see Zach adding increased goal kicking capability to his repertoire feeding off the talls and being rotated through the forward line.

Cale Hooker was the final player to come out and practice goal kicking as an indication that he will probably spend quite of bit of time on the forward line this year. His kicking style is not classic but more accurate than Joe’s from what I saw today.

In my previous report I discussed the return of wheelie bin in yellow colours but today he was retired, possibly for good, by a net like construction on wheels, a bit like a baby’s cot, which holds more balls and is much easier to lob balls into. The green wheelie bin with the vivid red sash outside the Sheedy Cafe looked on in silence.

Great report Jackie…your descriptions paint mental pictures for me all the way over here in WA

Thanks jackie - any initial observations of Stewart?

The main activity was one on one contested marking of high balls kicked over a short distance. Gleeson was opposed to Francis (looking slimmer), Walla to Fantasia, Joe to Ambrose and Redman on Hartley.

Any chance of sharing who won the contested marking duels?

You don’t have to let me know about the Redman on Hartley one, I can probably guess.

The main activity was one on one contested marking of high balls kicked over a short distance. Gleeson was opposed to Francis (looking slimmer), Walla to Fantasia, Joe to Ambrose and Redman on Hartley.

Any chance of sharing who won the contested marking duels?

You don’t have to let me know about the Redman on Hartley one, I can probably guess.

They took it in turns to mark - the emphasis was on positioning and use of the body rather than a full blown contest.

Thanks jackie - any initial observations of Stewart?

I don’t think I saw him today and I’m not sure that I can identify him other than knowing he’s tall.

“…Zach Merret came out with Harvey and practised snap shots from all sorts of angles with Harvs showing him how to take a couple of steps to open up the angle. I would expect to see Zach adding increased goal kicking capability to his repertoire feeding off the talls and being rotated through the forward line…”

I lost count of the number of times in 2016 he seemed to appear from nowhere and clear the ball out of defence. Because of that amazing coverage Zac won best defensive player at the Crichton. That shouldn’t be necessary so much in 2017 and hopefully he will be able to increase his scoreboard impact, because that is what really takes a midfielder to the next level.

Normally they do the 2 km time trial second day back, but maybe that will be tomorrow, since there were some big headlines yesterday…

Thanks Jackie- just like being there!

I suddenly feel very sorry for the Bomber Cafe wheelie bin. :frowning:

Interesting to hear about JD’s slice. I stood behind his goal kicking practice a couple of times last year and while most of his kicks had some sort of hook and some went pretty much straight there were quite a few that seemed to veer off to his left, big time. As in, they’d start at the goal and end up out on the full.

If we can’t fix his kicking with old-fashioned mentoring can we get a sports science expert to analyse the kinetics/physics around this? A biomechanics expert, perhaps, applying inertial sensors to his body and capturing his action using high-speed video? Correlating his ball drop with ball trajectory? Can we use a football with embedded strain gauges to determine how the impact with his foot is affecting spin? Trial different boot technologies to maximise end-over-end spin and minimise lateral spin? Analyse ball spin through the air, again using high-speed cameras, to determine its effect on trajectory?

Of course fcken not. The guy walks back and has a kick over a wooden mannequin. Then he goes and gets the footy (unless Harts or Harvs is there to go get it for him) and does it again. Then he goes and gets the footy and does it again. Seriously, we’re one of the biggest clubs in a national competition and sometimes we behave like the local amateurs.

Interesting to hear about JD's slice. I stood behind his goal kicking practice a couple of times last year and while most of his kicks had some sort of hook and some went pretty much straight there were quite a few that seemed to veer off to his left, big time. As in, they'd start at the goal and end up out on the full.

If we can’t fix his kicking with old-fashioned mentoring can we get a sports science expert to analyse the kinetics/physics around this? A biomechanics expert, perhaps, applying inertial sensors to his body and capturing his action using high-speed video? Correlating his ball drop with ball trajectory? Can we use a football with embedded strain gauges to determine how the impact with his foot is affecting spin? Trial different boot technologies to maximise end-over-end spin and minimise lateral spin? Analyse ball spin through the air, again using high-speed cameras, to determine its effect on trajectory?

Of course fcken not. The guy walks back and has a kick over a wooden mannequin. Then he goes and gets the footy (unless Harts or Harvs is there to go get it for him) and does it again. Then he goes and gets the footy and does it again. Seriously, we’re one of the biggest clubs in a national competition and sometimes we behave like the local amateurs.

For all we know they’re already doing some of this stuff. Just because they’re not doing it on a day when training is open to the public doesn’t mean they’re not doing it at all.

Can we get Joe some actual help? This is like fkn Groundhog day in all honesty. Day one of pre-season and he’s out there just “seeing how he goes”.

I can just about start writing my post now from mid-season when we lose dreamtime by 2 goals after Joe kicks 2.6 and sets in a rot of goal kicking with pervades through the whole side.

I don’t even judge Joe for it. The kid needs some help FFS.

inb4 tomorrow’s training report when he kicks 50 straight goals.

How were Morgan and Redman?

Interesting to hear about JD's slice. I stood behind his goal kicking practice a couple of times last year and while most of his kicks had some sort of hook and some went pretty much straight there were quite a few that seemed to veer off to his left, big time. As in, they'd start at the goal and end up out on the full.

For all we know they’re already doing some of this stuff. Just because they’re not doing it on a day when training is open to the public doesn’t mean they’re not doing it at all.

True aboods, but I sincerely doubt it. Remember, we didn’t even have full sized goalposts back at Windy Hill (I mean, FFS!!). I’d love the club to show me to be wrong on this, but I believe we’re doing things half-arsd as usual. When a fast bowler (eg Pattinson) needs work on his action he goes to the AIS and they use kinematic sensors, accelerometers, computer-generated imagery etc. to help him adjust the finer points of his bowling motion. When Murali had his action checked to see whether he was bowling or throwing he was wired up and every degree of rotation at his shoulder, elbow and wrist was monitored and analysed. Retroflective markers attached to the body can detect movements to within 1 mm.

I mention fast bowlers because the technology these days is amazing, as is the understanding of how trajectory of a delivery is effected by the most subtle changes in body movements that you wouldn’t think to be all that relevant. My stepson (playing lowly District 4ths!!) had his action analysed over the off-season using computer-aided technology. An EFC premiership in the next few years could well hinge on a 5% improvement in JD’s kicking, and I very much doubt we’re doing all we can as a club - but again I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

Cable Hooker…any relation to Cable Hogue?

Was on Foxtel yesterday…mmm…Stella Stevens!
While I think of it…mmm…Connie Stevens too.

inb4 tomorrow's training report when he kicks 50 straight goals.

Don’t think you need to worry.

So not a fan of the patented ‘EFC-wait-&-see-’ approach then?

Patents have to be a) useful; b) inventive; c) not obvious.

That EFC approach would be rejected by the Patents office on all three grounds.

Too bad EFC won’t reject it.