Training Wed 11 January 2023

What do you expect though? Our skills and tactics were bottom 4 last season. We need to learn from the ground up. I am glad we are learning the basics first.

2 Likes

There’s last and then there’s last in my view. For me, I want to see development and at least part adherence to a robust game plan that holds up against good teams. That is, a game plan that keeps us in games for longer. I want to see progression of young players. And I want to see evidence of strong culture manifesting itself on field (team first principles, discipline, fitness & leadership).

If we get a strong cohort of experienced players fit and playing 16-18 games then we won’t finish bottom. If we have chronic injuries to key players again, a bottom finish is not inconceivable. Although at this early stage it’s hard to see Hawthorn displacing us on the ladder under any circumstances.

5 Likes

Jake Stringer rocking the bucket hat again (apparently).

1 Like

Thank goodness that’s all it was. For a minute there I thought you were going to tell me that he said that’s he’s borderline flying.

1 Like

I wouldn’t concern yourselves with some specific drills in Jan. Brad Scott has spent the past 3 years overlooking every bit of game analysis and trends from every club.

I very much doubt he’ll be sitting on his hands. Trust the process at this stage.

11 Likes

I hope Brad is weeding out those who can’t nail the basics so we never see them again.

9 Likes

We are simply a bottom 4 side, completely starting again from the bottom in every aspect.
Anyone thinking otherwise will be disappointed.
I’ve been to training twice this preseason and I’ve seen plenty to like.
Lots of direct coaching, lots of variety in skills coaching, lots of positive behaviors amongst the players.
They appear to be enjoying training.
It’s the first week back after a few weeks off. I’m sure things will start ramping up soon.
We are not established like the top 8 sides who have settled training styles, settled game styles, long term coaches and long term senior players who know each other inside out.
What I want most is to be competitive for 4 quarters for every game.
No more Round 1 disasters! No more!

11 Likes

I’m actually all for the lack of enthusiasm towards this pre season compared to previous ones. Previously whatever we did didn’t work.

Something different was required.

Good to see Nik Cox is back, but is Nik Cox back is the question?

1 Like

It appears the players are getting a healthy reality check. The coach hasn’t walked in and told them how they all so special and talented. Essentially he’s said you’re not fit enough and your fundamental skills need to be developed before we can progress.

My hope is this is the season, reality and truth of where they are at. We can worry about confidence and building cohesion and all the other buzz words once we can hit a tackle, stand/ run to the right spot and tackle.

8 Likes

I want those horrible games to be less frequent.
Given where we are at though, I fully expect a couple of them in 2023.

3 Likes

I’m expecting us to be 4 and 1 going into Anzac Day and then go on to make the 8.

1 Like

out of curiosity whos the american coach

1 Like
13 Likes

@CJohns, didn’t you say Stringer was already in “full training”

If its the red one, I still want one, when will the Bomber Shop stock them. Been asking for years!

Let’s erect a big cardboard tank at the Hangar…or if Benny has a spare real one in his backyard he can donate it…and we’ll call it
THE HARLEY REID TANK.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I think one of the reports on Monday had the person running the tackling drills as Irish.
So maybe a Bostonian…

Problem is, if we tank, guarantee we’ll get done for it.

6 Likes