Training Wednesday 10/2/16

Training in warming conditions at Tullamarine. Karma Bomber has helped with this report and his photos will appear later.

Hams and Leuenberger seemed to be running a bit more freely today. Kommer worked with a trainer in the gym. The good run with injuries appears to be continuing and from this point of view it seems to be the most injury free preseason since the pre Quinn era.

Again I return to the topic of the differences between the coaching of Hird and Worsfold. The new coach leaves a lot more of the drills to the line coaches while he observes than Hird did and this seems to be working well e.g I will detail a drill later that Bluey McKenna was running that was the best I have seen post Christmas. There is more ball work and more contested work than previously and greater use of groups.

McKenna’s drill used half the ground and players were divided into three groups, forwards, backs and resting. This was hard contested footy based around ball ups and boundary throw ins with defenders trying to kick the ball long out of defence and forwards trying to set up shots at goal. Players would run en masse (pardon my French) from one contest to the next; from a ball up at chf to a boundary throw in from the pocket to a throw in on the fifty metre line on the other side of the ground. This simulated match conditions much better than the moving the ball the entire length of the ground drills and players were put under real tackling pressure.

The reason why this was so good is that there has been concern about bringing the disparate groups of players; newbies, top ups and the remaining rump, to function as a cohesive whole. This drill fostered this and there was plenty of talk on the field and from the resting group on the boundary line. I’m sure McKenna is working to reestablish his coaching future and I think we are lucky to have him as Worsfold’s right hand man.

Looking at individual players I will start with the ruck stocks. Understandably Jamar Is somewhat below match fitness but his hit out work and his coaching of the other young ruckman is impressive. He beat the inexperienced Gach through strength and superior body positioning but Gach brought gasps from the spectators with his huge leaps. If he can harness this weapon and gain experience he could be a very exciting prospect and you will be salivating at the thought of Gach climbing high over the pack to hit Tippa on the chest who breaks away with two bounces and goals. Phew I’m exciting myself.

While on the subject of Tippa he is going well and in the close in handball drills that Harvey was taking where players have to move the ball only by hand balling within a confined area he was eye catching with his good vision, spoiling and burst of pace.

Langford has built up and it was reported to me that Crowley who had been playing on him and niggling him was pleased when Langford came back at him. A bit of mongrel - nice to see.

Just had to evacuate the building for a fire alarm. Two fire engines arrived but the second one missed the entrance gate and had to do a u turn. It was a bit concerning that no one seems to have been tasked with saving the premiership cups. Gach was the last player to evacuate the building which is testimony to his dedication. Who do you think was the first player out?

Back to the report. There is a noticeable change in Long this year. Last year he tended to be quiet, to hang back a little and wait for things to happen. Now he is more assertive and confident and demanding more use of the ball which is good because he is very skilled

Stokes is showing a lot of class on the forward line. Despite missing some snaps at goal today one can’t help but be impressed by his speed and elusiveness. McKernan continues his good form and Zaharakis is showing great application. Goddard was more vocal today but in a measured way that was helpful to his team mates and as far as I can tell is fitting in well as captain.

It was a very good session today but I must conclude with a classic McKenna moment. He was clear and running into an open goal and had to pick up a ball kicked over his head bouncing towards goal. He got a tricky bounce so he swore at the ball which seemed to do the trick and he gathered to score. His improvement is impressive, especially his kicking which is harder and lower than in his first year. Kommer, McKenna and Tippa as the forward trio? I’d like to see that.

Anyone we should be looking out for re: fantasy sides Jackie?

I nominate Jackie and Karma for the BLITZ Hall of Fame award for 2016.

I can only reinforce that these reports are about the most positive thing happening at the moment and much looked forward to from us supporters living in the outer reaches.

merci beaucoup

Hams and Leuenberger training together. The old HamBerger combo. Where's MonFries when you need him...

And the large coke we had got snatched by StKilda… But we do have Fanta!

Bravo! How did I forget about Fanta…

By the way, in going with the French theme, can anyone tell me what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?

I can only reinforce that these reports are about the most positive thing happening at the moment and much looked forward to from us supporters living in the outer reaches.

merci beaucoup

Was going to post something along these lines.

Really appreciate these reports JM. I get all excited when I see one appear on the forum list. One of the few highlights in an otherwise disappointing preseason

Cheers for the report Jackie. Good to hear things have improved a bit.

Was Sam Michael still training with the group today? Interested to hear if he’s still a chance to be signed, since I think we’re still in need of more KPDs.

merci beaucoup

Absolutely support all that has been said, these are so good. I love your reports Jackie, they really help to colour what is going on out on the training field and the boundary line.

My lid offishness, despite what is actually going on, warms every time I read about our young, up and coming, guns.

Thanks Jackie, amazing report once again.

Jay Clark just tweeted: He’s a bit of a forgotten man, but Zach Merrett has brought his own footy to @EssendonFC training today. The bloke is all class.

Are you able to elaborate any more? We all know how much of a star he is and is going to be, but can’t get enough of it!

Thanks to you both. Love these reports to break up work day. Good to hear a better session today and injuries coming together well.

Who do you think was the first player out?

Zaka

Brendan Goddard - leading the way for the new blokes.

Thanks to you both. Love these reports to break up work day. Good to hear a better session today and injuries coming together well.

Wait, what?

I thought we all turned up at work to be on blitz.

Thanks for the report, brilliant as always

Edwards first out?

Ambrose cause he always win the race.

I can confirm that the fire was started from an AFL employee who was desperately trying to destroy Tania Hird’s notes.

Lid off finally!!

Thanks Jackie, amazing report once again.

Jay Clark just tweeted: He’s a bit of a forgotten man, but Zach Merrett has brought his own footy to @EssendonFC training today. The bloke is all class.

Are you able to elaborate any more? We all know how much of a star he is and is going to be, but can’t get enough of it!

Forgotten by who? Certainly not Essendon supporters!

Thanks guys!
Never thought I’d say this but I love having Crowley in the red and black.
Francis involved much today or back running the boundaries?

Poor Edwards. One year you’re all over threads, next you’re wondering what happened and it’s someone else’s turn.