Training Wednesday 10/5/17

Thanks Jackie

2 Likes

That suggests lots of possible changes Jackie. I know last week was different with some urgent / forced changes, but if you want a side to ā€œgelā€ or ā€œjelā€ or absorb the ā€œchemistryā€ or whatever, then its best to not make lots of changes. The last thing we need is our coaches starting to panic at match committee like many Blitz posters are.

Agree although this week we have yet another short break, 6 days coming back from Perth in the heat, so we no doubt are going to have to look at some changes to find some run in the legs towards the end of the game again.
Just listening to Skipworth on the bomber radio podcast and you can hear in his voice how frustrated they are with the fixturing weā€™ve had to contend with over the last 3 weeks and again this week. Thankfully itā€™s the last of a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  cycle for a while.

As an aside, he mentioned Stewart is all but certain to play in the next few weeks in 3x tall forward set up.

Some of our attacking play looked magnificent.

But most of their goals came from our turnovers, which kept them in the game.

Then that got worse in 2nd half as fatigue got better of us and also had no run.

5 Likes

What makes you think theyā€™ll panic?? They will make changes as necessary with returning players & young players loads considered and all other things that regularly come into consideration, like match upā€™s etc. It is what it is for the 1st part of this season, and I imagine itā€™s a real puzzle, and they are like a juggller with shitloads of balls in the air at the moment.

Thereā€™s a chance they wonā€™t always get it right in these unprecedented circumstances, (eg: Iā€™ll wager my house that they wish they could have a do over for selections for the Carlton Game) but it wonā€™t be through panic, ā€¦ because thereā€™s nothing to panic about.

They are going about their work in a planned & considered way, and will continue to do so, & results will be as they may.

No ones job is under threat, we have record m/ship, and all but the shrill & illogical accept that the team will take time to get up to speed in all aspects, and will be better for every game this year.

5 Likes

Agree BD. I would suggest that the Blitz fans are the ones panicking. I would expect a professional response from the match committee and would be very surprised if there was a mass set of changes.

1 Like

Memberships havenā€™t gone up because of what happened on field the last 4 years.

1 Like

You forget about the 23rd player on Fremantles list that day, which meant they played with 19 men. Troy Pannell kept them in the game too.

2 Likes

I got banned for saying Hurley had re signed once when he hadnā€™t, lol

1 Like

Does anyone else see references to Morgan in a thread and immediately think of Dalgleish. We spent a second round pick on a talented kid who essentially walked away from the sport. A second round pick! - as if other clubs were ready to pounce on a kid who, despite obvious ability, didnā€™t have motivation or ambition two years ago to stick through a difficult patch.

Hamstring issues aside, has he shown any intensity or ambition (aside from earning a bigger wage than packing bags at Woolworths?) Iā€™ve seen a couple of VFL games. Iā€™ve seen very little; Iā€™ve seen Dalgleish.

1 Like

If they had two picks in the top 6, as we did with Parish and Francis, my effing word every club would take a speculative punt on a kid with a bit of upside. The percentages suggest picks beyond ~25 arenā€™t particularly likely to make it (play less than ~60 games) anyway so you can hardly blame the club for punting on a kid with their 4th pick in the draft after locking away 2 of the best half a dozen kids in the country.

3 Likes

Shell out for some meat pies.

Thatā€™s the problem I have with the Morgan selection. He gave away the sport and then decided to give it another crack plus it was known he had bad hamstrings been a waste of a 2nd round pick imo.

1 Like

Has he had an issue with work ethic? Iā€™ve never seen an overly negative comment regarding his dedication. Sure, his injury history has held him back, but I saw the year away from the sport as a clarifying experience, a motivation, not a weakness.

depends how you look at it.

for some its a mature choice better than the idiots that give up on school because ā€˜footy is everythingā€™.

for others, clearly doesnā€™t/didnā€™t want it enough.

I think Morgan has shown glimpses of quality football this year, much moreso than last year.

And his body has been more durable - one of the spells being due to pain rather than a hamstring tear.

So there are signs of slow progress.

2 Likes

Morgans key attributes; speed and acceleration require total confidence in the durability of his hammies. Until he has that confidence we will not see him use that power imo.

1 Like

Sorry for the random question - wondering if the boys usually sign autographs after a regular open training session like tomorrow (thursday 18th)?

My reply is a bit late - sorry. Some of the players usually do autographs after an advertised session.

Morgan was getting a lot of praise for his strong preseason I thought?

The driver is willing , the engine has horsepower,but his wheels arent all that flash