Training Wednesday 15/1/14

Training in very hot conditions at Tullamarine.

Bell chambers, Hams, Hooker, Zaharakis and Melksham didn’t join in the main training.

Melksham ran lots of half laps at good pace and didn’t appear injured.

Exhaustion drills.

Skippy had two lines of five players lie prone in a confined area facing each other about 15 metres apart and then barked a series of instructions: "up, down, up, down, five push-ups, up, centre (the two lines moved towards each other) back, then he would throw a ball to one player and much like a gridiron situation the offensive line had to break through the defensive line with blocking and handball to score. Players were exhausted and none more so than poor “sticks” Gregory who could barely move despite Skippy’s constant exhortations.

The second drill was a variation of a defensive drill I described last time. A small box is marked out with an attacker paired against a defender. The ball is kicked from the wing to a lead by the forward which the defender tries to spoil. The defender has to use any “legal” means to prevent his opponent from regaining the box. This is repeated three times in succession without pause and is extremely demanding.

Bomber upped the ante by saying “No rules in the box.” Which resulted in much wrestling and holding while Bomber, obviously enjoying himself, yelped out many jokes and sarcastic remarks at the players’ expense such as “make the old guy work!” In the duel between Paddy and Fletcher. However these guys aren’t dumb and we’re actually taking it a bit easy with each other and David ( our photographer) described their gyrations as “more of a dance than raging bulls.” Daniher did we’ll against Carlisle who looked pretty unimpressed by the end then Gleeson was opposed to Paul Turk with Bomber exhorting him to “Make up for all the hard times he’s given you!”

Now comes the really interesting part of this exhausting but from Bomber’s viewpoint amusing drill. Bomber also told Gleeson “watch his eyes when they start to move,” Here is attention to detail to pass on his experience to a young player. I remember reading the autobiography of Chuck Norris where he describes watching opponents and hitting them between breaths his knowledge and concentration eventually turning him into a champion.

Passing the ball around in the forward line/bringing it out of defence.

Bassett was telling the players to move so that there were always two lateral options. David pointed out the importance of setting up for the second kick coming out of defence to get it out of the 50 metre zone.

Despite Heppell exhorting his teammates to set “a high standard here boys.” the results were very variable and a lot of the passing lacked precision. I didn’t count everything but the most possessions I saw without a turnover was thirteen and many sequences were much shorter than this. At one stage Goddard said “Poor decision there boys.” and he was absolutely right.

Bassett continually urged his players “Predict where the ball is going so that you set up early don’t just react. It’s a lot better when you go quick (decision making).” A lot of work is still needed in this skills area to improve disposal and decision making. In particular I point to the big switch of play across the ground. Too many of these result in high, floating balls that are intercepted, especially if there is also a bit of breeze.

Kicking over the mark.

Interesting to see what the instructions were in this situation.

Move back quickly but initially just three or four metres because this sets you up for a quick angle pass to the side. If this option is not on then go back ten metres for the longer kick remembering that the first ten metres of the kick will be required just to get the ball past the mark.

A few good things I saw today.

Very impressed with the co-operation between the coaches and the detailed teaching and player development…

Van Unen did I some good work in the back line today at one stage doing two linking passes and a shepherd.

Ambrose took a good overhead mark in front of Steinberg and kicked a lovely long goal.

Browne did some good passes today both medium and long.

Hocking did two lovely passes to forwards leading up at him. The first hit Joe on the chest who followed through with the mark bumping into Stanton just for fun. He then went back and drilled a long goal. The second pass went to Gleeson who kicked a nice goal from 45 metres out. Heath then followed this up by giving some advice to Gregory on how to stand the mark.

Cory was a good forward target again today. Pears put pressure on him when he was lining up for a shot at goal “You’ve got to kick it.” Cory went back and drilled it “never in doubt.”

Basically a long, successful session in the heat - progress is being made. Ut they must continue working on foot skills and decision making.

Ut they must continue working on foot skills and decision making.

Seems to be a recurring theme of the past few years. I wonder if the heat or the fact that it is pre-season has some affect on it.

Once again, brilliant report. Feels like I am there ready to hurl abuse at someone for poor decision making.

Great detail JM, not a break out preseason but you are really hitting your stride. Nice to hear that Bassett is already having an impact. Keep on Blitzing, Your reports are very much appreciated.  

Love ya work Jackie

Gracias senor Mihocek.

Training in these conditions would be good for all the boys because you just really have to exert yourself for even the tiniest thing such as a linking run or shot at goal.

Really tests players drive and fitness.

I really look forward to each training day for an update.    Best thing about Bomberblitz atm.  

Really appreciate the detailed information.

Great work Jackie, for someone so far away, it brings it right into the action.

Great report like always, How was Paul Chapman? After a few training sessions how do you think hes progression Jackie?

10/10 for them just turning up.

I observed most of the session from the exact forward pocket but didn't realise you were there! 

i will add just a few of my own observations!

Edwards did most of his work inside today, 

Melksham was doing laps as JM explained without restriction and then went inside to continue doing some cross training. 

My first real look at Thurlow, he moves well for a big lad and was instructing/helping JD on were to position himself for the next kick and it was my first look at Aylett and i watched him throughout the session and i like that he used both sides of the body and moves across the ground well. 

The first drill was set up with 1 deep forward and 2 forwards ranging from 20 - 40 meters and one small forward Gleeson or Kommer! 

A few mids including Hocking, Jobe, Chappy, J,Merrett, Browne and Aylett 

A few set plays and stoppages for the forwards and defenders, the ball would be kicked in either high or along the ground and the defenders had to work to get the ball back and find the exits, with the forwards putting pressure on them taking the ball outside the 50.

The forwards in this drill included Daniher, Thurlow and Hardingham vs defenders Hurley, Gregory and Pears

Smalls Kommer, Gleeson, Ashby, Raynor & Daleglish - 1 player in this drill had a rest per set and at times Gleeson and Ashby swapped from being a forward to defending. 

At the same time on the other oval they seemed to be doing a variation of the same drill but focusing more on the initial entry inside 50 and defending the forward in the air and forcing the turnover and moving the ball through zone, taking the ball forward using the full sized smaller oval. 

I watched the tackling drill in between watching the main oval drill and I thought Z. Merrett, O'brien and Ambrose impressed in the repeat efforts. 

The box drill was interesting to watch and it was great when Bomber said 'make the old fella work' when Paddy was defending up against Fletcher! (Licha outside the boundary on the side of the drill laughing at Bombers call) 

Pears, O'Brien, Kavangh, Ashby and Heppell stood out today, with solid sessions from all the lads. 

Bellchambers strained his ankle ligaments at training apparently. Landed on Hibberds foot. Out for a month at least- thatd explain his non-training.

EFC Website Sauce.

Belly out for the next month with an ankle

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-01-15/blow-for-bellchambers

Essendon ruckman Tom Bellchambers will be out of training for at least the next month after straining ligaments in his left ankle.

The 24-year-old big man rolled his ankle awkwardly at training during a match simulation drill on Monday.

“Tom is our only significant injury, they were doing match practice type drills and he landed on Michael Hibberd‘s foot,” club doctor Bruce Reid said.

“That is our only significant injury we have and it will cost him a few weeks at this stage.”

Reid said Bellchambers would be sidelined from doing any weight bearing activities for at least the next fortnight.

“The first thing we need to do is evaluate it correctly so he has strained both sides including the inside,” Reid said.

“When they strain the inside ligament on the ankle it is a little bit slower because it takes a lot of the weight bearing,”

“He will be non-weight bearing and in a moon boot for a couple of weeks and then hopefully we can get him up and running again quickly.”

Reid said the remainder of the playing group was in good shape just a month away from the start of the pre-season competition.

“We have been very lucky, there has been good management by the staff but there is always an element of luck and like last year our injury list is looking very good.”

our ruck situation going into this year is a real concern. a serious injury to ryder or tbell will leave us seriously exposed.

Not good news re Belly. But at least he’ll be there for rd 1 I guess??

Anyone know when the intra-club matches will start? Someone asked this in another thread but don’t think it was answered.

Edit: Oh, and if course, thanks heaps JM.

our ruck situation going into this year is a real concern. a serious injury to ryder or tbell will leave us seriously exposed.

Agreed. Doesn't leave us in a good position with at Thurlow and Daniher not ready for that role you'd assume.

I'd say both getting injured leaves us exposed...
One, not so much.

apddy's effort at training just doubled now that belly has gone down?

Great report like always, How was Paul Chapman? After a few training sessions how do you think hes progression Jackie?

He is fitting in very nicely as far as I can see.  Not much to say about him - his capabilities are well known and he seems injury free.

I observed most of the session from the exact forward pocket but didn't realise you were there! 

i will add just a few of my own observations!

Edwards did most of his work inside today, 

Melksham was doing laps as JM explained without restriction and then went inside to continue doing some cross training. 

My first real look at Thurlow, he moves well for a big lad and was instructing/helping JD on were to position himself for the next kick and it was my first look at Aylett and i watched him throughout the session and i like that he used both sides of the body and moves across the ground well. 

The first drill was set up with 1 deep forward and 2 forwards ranging from 20 - 40 meters and one small forward Gleeson or Kommer! 

A few mids including Hocking, Jobe, Chappy, J,Merrett, Browne and Aylett 

A few set plays and stoppages for the forwards and defenders, the ball would be kicked in either high or along the ground and the defenders had to work to get the ball back and find the exits, with the forwards putting pressure on them taking the ball outside the 50.

The forwards in this drill included Daniher, Thurlow and Hardingham vs defenders Hurley, Gregory and Pears

Smalls Kommer, Gleeson, Ashby, Raynor & Daleglish - 1 player in this drill had a rest per set and at times Gleeson and Ashby swapped from being a forward to defending. 

At the same time on the other oval they seemed to be doing a variation of the same drill but focusing more on the initial entry inside 50 and defending the forward in the air and forcing the turnover and moving the ball through zone, taking the ball forward using the full sized smaller oval. 

I watched the tackling drill in between watching the main oval drill and I thought Z. Merrett, O'brien and Ambrose impressed in the repeat efforts. 

The box drill was interesting to watch and it was great when Bomber said 'make the old fella work' when Paddy was defending up against Fletcher! (Licha outside the boundary on the side of the drill laughing at Bombers call) 

Pears, O'Brien, Kavangh, Ashby and Heppell stood out today, with solid sessions from all the lads. 

great stuff thanks very much EFC4