Training Wednesday 15/1/14

Training in very hot conditions at Tullamarine.
Bell chambers, Hams, Hooker, Zaharakis and Melksham didn't join in the main training.
Melksham ran lots of half laps at good pace and didn't appear injured.
Exhaustion drills.
Skippy had two lines of five players lie prone in a confined area facing each other about 15 metres apart and then barked a series of instructions: "up, down, up, down, five push-ups, up, centre (the two lines moved towards each other) back, then he would throw a ball to one player and much like a gridiron situation the offensive line had to break through the defensive line with blocking and handball to score. Players were exhausted and none more so than poor "sticks" Gregory who could barely move despite Skippy's constant exhortations.
The second drill was a variation of a defensive drill I described last time. A small box is marked out with an attacker paired against a defender. The ball is kicked from the wing to a lead by the forward which the defender tries to spoil. The defender has to use any "legal" means to prevent his opponent from regaining the box. This is repeated three times in succession without pause and is extremely demanding.
Bomber upped the ante by saying "No rules in the box." Which resulted in much wrestling and holding while Bomber, obviously enjoying himself, yelped out many jokes and sarcastic remarks at the players' expense such as "make the old guy work!" In the duel between Paddy and Fletcher. However these guys aren't dumb and we're actually taking it a bit easy with each other and David ( our photographer) described their gyrations as "more of a dance than raging bulls." Daniher did we'll against Carlisle who looked pretty unimpressed by the end then Gleeson was opposed to Paul Turk with Bomber exhorting him to "Make up for all the hard times he's given you!"
Now comes the really interesting part of this exhausting but from Bomber's viewpoint amusing drill. Bomber also told Gleeson "watch his eyes when they start to move," Here is attention to detail to pass on his experience to a young player. I remember reading the autobiography of Chuck Norris where he describes watching opponents and hitting them between breaths his knowledge and concentration eventually turning him into a champion.
Passing the ball around in the forward line/bringing it out of defence.
Bassett was telling the players to move so that there were always two lateral options. David pointed out the importance of setting up for the second kick coming out of defence to get it out of the 50 metre zone.
Despite Heppell exhorting his teammates to set "a high standard here boys." the results were very variable and a lot of the passing lacked precision. I didn't count everything but the most possessions I saw without a turnover was thirteen and many sequences were much shorter than this. At one stage Goddard said "Poor decision there boys." and he was absolutely right.
Bassett continually urged his players "Predict where the ball is going so that you set up early don't just react. It's a lot better when you go quick (decision making)." A lot of work is still needed in this skills area to improve disposal and decision making. In particular I point to the big switch of play across the ground. Too many of these result in high, floating balls that are intercepted, especially if there is also a bit of breeze.
Kicking over the mark.
Interesting to see what the instructions were in this situation.
Move back quickly but initially just three or four metres because this sets you up for a quick angle pass to the side. If this option is not on then go back ten metres for the longer kick remembering that the first ten metres of the kick will be required just to get the ball past the mark.
A few good things I saw today.
Very impressed with the co-operation between the coaches and the detailed teaching and player development..
Van Unen did I some good work in the back line today at one stage doing two linking passes and a shepherd.
Ambrose took a good overhead mark in front of Steinberg and kicked a lovely long goal.
Browne did some good passes today both medium and long.
Hocking did two lovely passes to forwards leading up at him. The first hit Joe on the chest who followed through with the mark bumping into Stanton just for fun. He then went back and drilled a long goal. The second pass went to Gleeson who kicked a nice goal from 45 metres out. Heath then followed this up by giving some advice to Gregory on how to stand the mark.
Cory was a good forward target again today. Pears put pressure on him when he was lining up for a shot at goal "You've got to kick it." Cory went back and drilled it "never in doubt."
Basically a long, successful session in the heat - progress is being made. Ut they must continue working on foot skills and decision making.

thanks so much JM

What I took out of mthis: Martin Gleeson = Chuck Norris

What I took out of mthis: Martin Gleeson = Chuck Norris

Funny, I got this.

lucasBBC2103_228x304.jpg

Can't believe we didn't trade one of our rucks.

O wait

Cory was a good forward target again today. Pears put pressure on him when he was lining up for a shot at goal "You've got to kick it." Cory went back and drilled it "never in doubt."

tear_joy.jpg

I really look forward to and enjoy these reports.

thank you 

Any  info on Howlett?

....and here we go with the training cauldron of fire from today.

Thumbs up from the Melkman

"Who's coaching this team? Is that you Hirdy?'

Technique on the improve.

"Poor decision there boys."

"suffer girls. I've got the best gig on the planet!"

........and on we go!

"Yeah! That hit the target."

"Who's responsible for hydrating me?"

You can't keep a good guy down.

"Yes Fletch, I know where to kick it!"

Have thigh development, will pass.

"My shot at goal, big fellas!"

tear_joy.jpg

Dell to replace Alwyn Davey as our number 1 CHF marking target in time for Round 1!!

David King likes the look of us, judging by his Twitter comments today. Suggested that it looks like JD will be playing deep forward, Carslile CHF and Hurley back. Also reckons Chappy looks like he has dropped about 5kgs.

"Think I can squeeze through this way."

"Don't like this dance. I'll lead thanks!"

Catch me if you can.

Greco Roman / AFL Tag Team Wrestling?

Skippy coaching Zach.

Top quality pics

thanks karmabomber

When will the pain end?

"Show no mercy to the old fella!"

"I've got you covered......I think?"

"You've missed out on my coaches award by this much!"

"Give me a break, Turk." (I think it's Dalgleish rather than Gleeson)

.............and as my computer melts, I head off to the fridge for an icy cold one. :P

David King likes the look of us, judging by his Twitter comments today. Suggested that it looks like JD will be playing deep forward, Carslile CHF and Hurley back. Also reckons Chappy looks like he has dropped about 5kgs.

So in other words we look terrible, JD will play permanent ruck, Carlisle will be a HBFer, Hurley will play third tall forward and Chappy looks like Stewart Dew.

Awesome pics KB once again. Love your work, keep it up :slight_smile:

Good work, karma. Lovely pics.

our ruck situation going into this year is a real concern. a serious injury to ryder or tbell will leave us seriously exposed.

I'd say both getting injured leaves us exposed...
One, not so much.

Which if both go down, we are pretty much ■■■■■■, no matter how much "depth" or coverage we have in that spot.

great pictures - loved the captions.

Thanks to all of you, JM, EFC4, KB.  You do a service for us lazy/deskbound supporters.  It is much appreciated.

Any  info on Howlett?

Under my old username Bombs_away I was one of the first people to post about his first training session and the intra club at princess park when he arrived at the club!  In my observations he doesn't stand out at training anymore because everything he completes, is at the same standard, which is a high/good standard. Players like Kavangh, Browne, Ashby, Hams and Z.Merrett are exciting prospects and show some real promise, for now Howlett is a lock in the best 22 but down the track the names i mentioned will have more strings to their games as inside/outside mids and this might see Benny drop out of our best 22