Training Wednesday 15 Feb

Couldn’t see another thread covering today’s training, if there is one mods please merge/purge this one.

First time I’ve ever been to training for the Dons and the TVSC, and I don’t mind saying I was like a kid at Christmas. As I walked through the doors I saw two young kids who looked like they’d wagged school for the day, Mutch and Draper, the latter of which is a massive unit of a kid.

Warm and blustery conditions at the ground, with one fan noting it as “Windy Hill Mk 2”. Training was split between those listed as playing tomorrow, then those who won’t be playing had their own training session as the others went back to the shed. I’ll call them 1s and 2s, but it’s no reflection of what we will be looking at for round one given the 2s included big Joe Dan and Harts.

Hooker and Belcho went to Etihad for running drills, with Hooker doing heaps of running, and Bellchambers heading back inside after a solid but managed session of I’m guessing half an hour or so.

The 1s started training with normal warm ups (handballs, short kicks and some run throughs). They then separated into two drills, one involved what I saw as the midfielders (Jobe, Hepp, Zerrett, Luey, Myers, Smack, Colyer and a couple of others that slip my mind atm). This drill involved tap downs from the big men, and the mids zipping around their feet to work the ball out of the area with quick handballs. This drill was exciting for me as it just really hit me how much we missed the class of Jobe and Hepp, but also gave me hope for how good a fit and confident Myers and Smack could be as they both seemed to have a spring in their step. Zerrett of course was just a pleasure to watch.

The other group were involved in a drill which, as one fellow fan pointed out to me, seemed to be ‘inspired’ (maybe taken) from the Dogs. There was a trainer in the middle of a confined space between two lots of players on the 50 metre line toward the far side of the ground. Two to three blokes would come out and moved the ball up through weaving handballs, then to the trainer who would smash the ball toward the ground at the other group of players who would then again work the ball to the other side with weaving handballs, simulating getting out of congestion. Then at irregular intervals, the whistle would sound and the player would have to quickly shoot for goal. Walla was just magic, Green never misses, and it was great to see Stewart move around as he is a huge unit but has some serious agility!

As this set of drills ended, they moved into a corners drill, so four roughly even groups with the focus seemingly on voice and making the best option. Marty Gleeson was a standout with good voice, good pushing to position, good hands, and solid kicking. Obviously Jobe, Hepp, Zaka (zaharakis), Zerrett were all class, but again Stewart just impresses with his mits and reach. No, he’s not a fully fledged gun, but he will demand a defender when called upon and I think he will be a very handy backup option. McGrath was another one I watched here, and it just seemed to me that he does the drills solidly, but then he watches, he reads what’s happening and never looked lost out there. When people talk about what makes a good footy player, I think flashes of brilliance are nice, but the willingness to learn and to read and play to the strengths of your teammates just shows this bloke is switched on.

The groups then merged and while Redman went to run some laps on Etihad, others stayed around to kick some goals, and some blokes went back inside the shed.

Walla and Green threading them to the early morn from set shots and some snaps, while Raz, Stewart and Colyer were getting the trainers to tap the ball to their feet for the pick up and goal. Bobcat, Hocking, Jobe and Hepp also took the opportunity for set shot goal kicking. Hocking looks like he’s chomping at the bit to get out and play, Bobcat was kicking true, and it was awesome to see the class of Jobe. More than that though, the session was upbeat and there were plenty of laughs, plenty at Raz’s expense which I enjoyed hearing as a fan who plays local league footy as it just brought it back that even though these blokes are my heroes (unashamedly as a 30 year old), they are just blokes playing footy at the end of the day.

Random mentions:

• Lav and Langford are units, looked very poised and ready for the season.
  • Parish rolled through the session no dramas, and his quick hands were just great to watch
  • BJ didn’t over exert himself, same for Pops Kelly, but they just ooze class.
  • Dea looked sharp with his kicking, same with Hurley
  • Bird, Brown, Ambrose all solid without standing out
  • Jackson Merrett the “grey man” award
  • Long looks noticeably bigger, really hope he can show some good form in the VFL and get a good run in the 1s during the season.

Thus ends part one of this epic tome. Sorry for the wall of text but I just love footy!

Nice report, thanks Don_Juan

good post, thanks.

Excellent report! Loved it

Thanks Don_Juan, a good read.

Great report bud! Quality!

Great write up!! and agree, Stewart was impressive. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Your report is so much better than the one from that Koala bloke.

For part two, the 1s moved into the shed and out came the magoos. Drills again started with short kicks and handballs etc. Great to see Joe Dan kicking on his left, but only for short kicks throughout the session except for a couple of field kicks later in the session. It was great to see Morgan, Ridley, Fridge, Mutch and Draper all training. The first real drill was one on one contested mark training. Morgan was matched up on Oirish, and Morgan outplayed him well as he played the ball and positioned himself brilliantly, whereas Oirish played the man and seemed more worried about Morgan than going for the ball. In my view there in lies what he needs to work on, as he has all the skills to make a great player, but just needs to back himself. Draper matched up on big Joe, which was great to see as Joe is so athletic, but Draper spoiled a few with his reach and strength and showed a couple of good signs. He is a super quietly spoken kid though, so I’m looking forward to seeing his development as I reckon if the likes of Hocking and Bellchambers can pump up his tyres a bit and give him some arrogance, this kid could seriously do some damage imho. He’s very raw though, some kicks went high, others short, but some kicks were just pinpoint which for a big man I found quite impressive.

The players then went into a full ground drill where they would work the ball up together, positioning and ‘resetting’ accordingly. They would then work the ball to a trainer in the 50, who would send the ball back out again where the players would work the footy back up the other end of the ground and finish with a mark and goal. I enjoyed watching the big bodied Fridge, the smooth moving Ridley who I’m going to go early on as our new ‘buckets’, and the work rate of Mutch. Joe Dan was everywhere and just showed with his poise and voice to position junior players that he will be a great leader for this club. I also liked the look of Clarke and McNeice, good bit of zip, and where Clarke’s kicking radar seemed a bit off, McNeice was bang on.

During the session, Woosha came and spoke to us die hards which was awesome. The man is just a class act, what you see is what you get. He thanked everyone for coming out, took some photos with a young fella there and talked a little while about the season ahead. One bloke asked about Ridley and where he saw his development, and in my paraphrased version he said ‘he could play at the AFL level, but they need to manage him in regards to his build’. He seems the closest after McGrath to making the senior side this year, but I have to say Mutch and Begley looked very good out there, so I will be following their progress this year with great interest.

Ok, that’s enough of my ramblings, but hopefully someone got something out of it! Feel free to ask any questions, or for other blitzers who may have been there feel free to correct if I have not mentioned anything!

Well done Don Juan. Comprehensive!!
We all appreciate it. Cheers!

:smiley:

considering the training session started with a shirtless Jobe… :blush:

(he’s in this pic but a tad pixelated!)

Fantastic reports Don Juan! Loved reading it all… Countdown clock is on! Can’t wait!

Great write up mate. Lots of detail, which I love.
From Crow’s report on injuries on Monday, it seems they are all now starting to ramp up their comebacks to full fitness.
Is it only Hooker and TBC confined to running at the moment? Was Francis out there today? Stanton? DId Morgan train fully?
I am really pleased to hear Crow say Draper is now joining training with no soreness in his knees, and from your write up DJ, it sounds like he is moving ok.

Francis was out there with the 2s but only took part in the early drill before doing a shtload of running on Etihad. He was moving very well, and seemed to be doing a lot of running at good but not sprint speed. Probably just making sure he stays out of contact drills re his ankle.

Stanton was in early drills but not sure when he went back in. Morgan trained fully and looked the goods, a couple of times I just thought ‘geez that was good’. As it was only one on one contested and then basically running patterns through the rest of the session I guess we’ll have to wait to see VFL form to gauge how he links in the team. Good signs though. :slight_smile:

Love your work, Don Juan. It will be so good to hear the commentators saying “Breust Green never misses”

Great write up!! and agree, Stewart was impressive. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

You mean, your waiting for him to take his shirt off mate?

You mean, your waiting for him to take his shirt off mate?

:wink:

News about Sammy Draper… AWESOME!

Thanks Don Juan.

Francis was out there with the 2s but only took part in the early drill before doing a shtload of running on Etihad. He was moving very well, and seemed to be doing a lot of running at good but not sprint speed. Probably just making sure he stays out of contact drills re his ankle.

Stanton was in early drills but not sure when he went back in. Morgan trained fully and looked the goods, a couple of times I just thought ‘geez that was good’. As it was only one on one contested and then basically running patterns through the rest of the session I guess we’ll have to wait to see VFL form to gauge how he links in the team. Good signs though. :slight_smile:

Yeah, still think with a reasonable run without injuries he’ll be very good long term.

Who’s this Sammy Drapper bloke? Never heard a thing about him all preseason ??? You can’t just go and recruit at this stage, we’re going to get fined for sure!!