Training Wednesday 22/1/14

Was waiting for Jackie's report to post this but mods can merge this with the other thread when it comes...

Headed out again this morning to have a look at the session which was fairly light and easy for all involved, but there was a good atmosphere around the traps as the boys went to work with a fair few coaches and staff happy to chat with fans lining the fence, so thought I'd share a few largely meaningless details again and hopefully someone else picked up something from the session that might be worth reading!

Early part of the session saw the squad in two groups, one using the MCG oval and the other on Etihad in fairly blustery conditions again. I was focused mainly on the Etihad drill which was simply one team working the ball out of the center of the ground down to the forward line with only light physical pressure from defenders, who if intercept work the ball back to half way for the drill to restart. Daniher marked nicely on the lead on the first two plays and slotted two goals from 45-35 meters respectively. From what I picked up the drill on the MCG oval was quite similar except with forwards at either ends of a full ground drill, effectively they were both light match style simulation drills. 

Noticed that Carlisle struggled to find much space in the forward line apart from on the tougher angles, and definitely isn't as comfortable leading directly at the ball and marking, being reminded on several occaisons to "get the mitts out in front" by one of the coaches (Byrne I think) following spoils from Sticks Gregory as he tried to mark on the chest. Bomber told the etihad group at one point not to completely bust themselves trying to go too quickly and focus on being clean and converting chances- to which Del followed up by dancing through 3 and snapping a nice goal. Comment was made by the High Performance Staff that the Etihad drill wasn't working as it should due to the players going to fast and rushing it. Overall though it wasn't terrible and coaches didn't seem to displeased. Found it hard to pick out any standout individuals due to the two ground situation.  

One of the few pieces of play I saw initially from the MCG drill ended up with Kommer being told to "play right to the whistle" to which he quickly replied, "fine then I'll just farking run straight through him next time." Like the way he goes about it.  :lol:

Was a day full of good quotes actually as Johnny Elliot made comment to Doc Reid that he thought the atmosphere was better training at Tulla (was another good turn out from supporters), and Doc replied "Just wait until September!"

Not long after that Bomber pointed a bloke out of the crowd and gave him a subtle message to GAGF saying "mate you better not be taking photo's, seeya later champ" and as the fella who i had seen at training on the Monday walked off followed up with "If any of you see this bloke here again feel free to have a chat and distract him for me, Brisbane scout." 

Few of the group were on "heart limits" - whatever that is, including Hams who stopped training about 35-40 minutes early and 3 others who must have trained through the session. Shaun Edwards and Johnny Rayner were the only two I saw away from the main group, doing some light running and kicking. Edwards said his ankle was feeling pretty good. He's also a good head taller than I thought he was. 

The last few drills were pretty casual, both groups on the main oval simply working the ball up the ground with phantom pressure fromt the opposition. Ground was then split in half again to work on forward entries, two teams with the defending team with the extra number. Focus was to make the ground bigger and creating space for team mates to lead with blocks and decoys etc. Did notice Paddy Ambrose for the first time in this drill, he's a very smooth mover and will be interesting to see how he goes. Hardy also looks to be getting the hang of the role up forward. 

Session ended with players working with their line groups again quite casually, midfielders doing set plays from ball ups, defenders some one on one work and it was the forwards who up the other end as far as I could tell. Overall a much lighter session than Monday, biggest highlight for mine was a quick chat with Hep and getting the customary "g'day mate how ya garn" :D  

Thanks for your report. Also the spy bit helps an interstate person like me get a feel.

A minor criticism, for want of a better word, I would like the club to come up with better names for the ovals than MCG and Etihad. Particularly the commercial name as we probably don't get a razoo for mentioning that name. It could possibly turn into a money spinner for the club if our ovals had some snappy, easy to say (and spell) sponsor name or maybe at worst, a past champion name.

thanks abers.

any thoughts on how JD's set shot technique is looking? hoping he will straighten it up a bit and be a little less across his body.

thanks abers.

any thoughts on how JD's set shot technique is looking? hoping he will straighten it up a bit and be a little less across his body.

Looked beautiful in the two early shots he had, kicked straight through it and put them through at half post height into a tricky wind. 

Great stuff Abers. Thanks for that.

Do you have any idea when they commence Intra-club practice? Would love to attend and take some pics :slight_smile:

we were standing near you abers!

1530492_10151930653593099_556116803_n.jp

we were standing near you abers!

1530492_10151930653593099_556116803_n.jp

Oh so close! If I knew who any of you were of course I'd have come and said g'day haha! 

Cheers abers, nice run down.

It’s interesting your points on Carlisle. After spending three seasons unsuccessfully trying to teach Hurley to be a forward, I hope we don’t just end up with the same scenario with Carlisle.

I’m still not sure how that will work out. Lucky Joe is coming along nicely.

Cheers abers, nice run down.
It's interesting your points on Carlisle. After spending three seasons unsuccessfully trying to teach Hurley to be a forward, I hope we don't just end up with the same scenario with Carlisle.
I'm still not sure how that will work out. Lucky Joe is coming along nicely.

I assume we simply settle Hurley down back and if Carlisle isn't looking all that good up forward that we look at trading for/recruiting someone we think can have an immediate impact so we can move Jake down back again.

Actually I'd prefer we do that anyway as I think Carlisle will always be a better backman than forward and a combination of Carlisle and Hurley down back makes me smile like the cheshire cat (of course that is longer term, for this year and the next I'm happy switching them as I just don't rate Hurley forward anywhere near to what some do).

Good report ABERS13 I've decided not to write any reports for a while because it will be good to get some different perspectives on training for a change.

Let me just say "Training today at Tullamarine in pleasant, windy conditions." which is my equivalent of "Once upon a time in a land far, far away...."

There was a good spirit at training and in one drill involving half the players when Goddard dropped an easy mark for a turnover the other half of the players watching from the sidelines erupted into loud cheers.

Bomber told me to watch out for spies from other clubs today and when I suggested there needed to be a gate between the two ovals because he was having a bit of trouble getting over the fence he punched me in a manner which I took to be jovial and friendly.

Report: Violence erupts as supplements cause Essendon STAFF to erupt into frenzied rage against supporters

Bomber told the etihad group at one point not to completely bust themselves trying to go too quickly and focus on being clean and converting chances- to which Del followed up by dancing through 3 and snapping a nice goal. 

ztX3mMi.png

Good report ABERS13 I've decided not to write any reports for a while because it will be good to get some different perspectives on training for a change.

Let me just say "Training today at Tullamarine in pleasant, windy conditions." which is my equivalent of "Once upon a time in a land far, far away...."

There was a good spirit at training and in one drill involving half the players when Goddard dropped an easy mark for a turnover the other half of the players watching from the sidelines erupted into loud cheers.

Bomber told me to watch out for spies from other clubs today and when I suggested there needed to be a gate between the two ovals because he was having a bit of trouble getting over the fence he punched me in a manner which I took to be jovial and friendly.

I'm going to miss your reports Jackie.

Thanks abers and Jackie, again.

Kommer = Backy.

Great work form all who contribute. Keep it rolling and keep on Blitzing. Go, Bombers. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, would love to be able to do it all season but little thing called year 12 will get in the way after this week, will try get there for friday though.

I thought if I waited long enough, someone would provide a comprehensive report to save my embarassment at having to fill in for Sir Jackie. Thanks Abers13. I don't feel quite so pressured to perform!!

Just a few added observations (sorry if they overlap) before the pics!

• the comraderie between players continues to be a a high level. Particularly noticeable during a transitions drill on MCG oval where Brendan G dropped a sitter near the centre circle only to receive a massive bronx cheer from about 15 players standing on the sidelines.
  • certainly a lighter session but continued emphasis on working the transitions from defence to forward of centre through the corridor. On a number of occasions players on Etihad oval had to be reminded to avoid passing to forwards leading into the dead wind pockets.
  • In the later sessions on Mcg oval players were teamed off into groups at either end of the ground and were instructed that the defenders were to work out their own "team" strategies to move the ball through the midfield and create a loose man running forward of centre. Jobe kept reminding them that this process was a constant during games rather than just relying on coaches at the breaks.
  • Toward the end of the training session, firstly Paddy Ryder and then Joe D took turns at figuring out clearance strategies with their respective allocated midfielders. Both have amazing leaps but had mixed results in hitting the target teammates.
  • Lastly, I kept a closer eye on "The Unit" (big, big Frazer Thurlow). Based on today's evidence during a tackling session, it would take a Mack Truck to move this guy! He's obviuosly pretty raw and still coming to terms with the pace of AFL but may just if needed provie a good tall blocking unit to be covered down forward if Joe needs to focus on the FF role until Belly returns.

........and now some pics

Some doing stretches others just praying!

"Follow me guys. Let's get to it."

Who's tackling who?

Guess who's been eating their Weeties?

..............and these

"Tackling practice! You're kidding, right?"

"I ain't movin', Fletch!'

"Are you comin' along for the ride Hooksy?'

"So is itblue for boys of for forwards?"

...................and more

"Got some pace and I'll use it."

Not a hair out of place.

"So Fletch, how do you play this forward pocket gig?"

Still got the drive.

Strength under pressure.....just give me a chance to perform.

"I wonder if The Unit can perform under pressure?"

awesome stuff,

love the write ups, pics and captions are gold.

Thurlow really looks like a beast, can he play? any speed or agility or is it just that he cannot be moved? Is he a chance of an upgrade?