Training Wednesday 22nd

I reckon they don’t help much, as although they have a good defensive mindset, neither are quick, and it’s the “spread” from the stoppage and from the contest and the ground that I’m most worried about.

Uhh… Have you seen Essington?

As a forum we all mentally disintegrate as soon as we show any signs of inadequacy

2 Likes

The problem with our defence this year is going to be intercept marking power. In our best defensive unit over the last 5 years all 6 defenders could and would zone off and mark when the opportunity arose. The only defenders who did this in 2016 were Dea, Baguley and Gleeson, while Ambrose and Hartley played 95% pure lockdown out of necessity in 2016.

I dont believe we can become a top side if we play even one defender as a pure lockdown, so Hartley and Ambrose will need to morph themselves and add attacking facets to their play.

Which brings me to the question of the running back. In the past, we used Hibbo and Dempsey and more recently Zac Merret and Tippa in this role. The obvious candidates now are McGrath and McKenna. Even Gleeson has obviously been asked to run forward during the JLT. Its going to be a shootout as to who is selected for that role, but McGrath probably will get the nod as soon as he is ready to play AFL level…

I reckon he’d be a good match up for Roughy - particularly as he’s been spending time through the midfield in the JLT.

4 Likes

Zach Merrett is the best 2 way running midfielder in the competition.

I’m 100% serious as well.

3 Likes

Right up there.

Hanneberry is very very good and who I would consider to be the best.

1 Like

I agree intercept marking in D50 is a problem, but short of playing Hooker there (and I think he’ll be more valuable forward), there isn’t really an obvious candidate who can boost this. Maybe Brown, but he’s very inconsistent. I’d also question Bags and Dempsey’s credentials in this area.

I disagree vehemently that you can’t be a top team with lock down defenders. Zac Dawson played in 3 Grand Finals playing that role. Grundy and other Sydney players aren’t amazing rebounders. I really question this statement.

On the running back, when on earth did play Zerrett in the role? He’s always been HFF or midfield. I would like to see McKenna given more opportunity to play this role. Other candidates are Morgan and McNeice.

1 Like

Yeah Zerrett goes hard both ways, that’s why he’s our club champion.

1 Like

If you want to teach a young midfielder how to defend you tell them to watch Zach Merrett play… He is the ultimate role model for 2 way running mids…

Zach would by far have the biggest metres covered stats.

Shows up in the midfield, back pocket, forward pocket, wing, corridor.

EVERYWHERE.

one of the most perplexing sentiments? statements? i’ve seen on blitz.

1 Like

If i was doing a top EFC 10 like Mike sheahan top 50. ie prediction of who our best 10 players will be at years end it would be

1 Z Merrett He is the real deal. just hope he can build on last year.
2 Dyson Heppell - hoping he will rediscover his form from when he was a top mid of the comp.
3 Joe Daniher - His potential is huge hope he gets close to discovering it this year think 60+goals
4 Darcy Parish - his work rate and intensity is great, think he will elevate his game this year
5 Orazio Fantasia - will be one of the best small forwards in the comp
6 Michael Hurley - pillar of the Defence
7 Cale Hooker - think he will still be influential as a forward this year
8 Jobe Watson is a quality player will be a testament to the development of the young guys above.
9 Travis Colyer - Really hoping he has a good year. we need his spark and speed.
10 David Zaharakis - really hoping he can step up with the extra midfield support and get off the leash.

Still expect Stanton, Kelly, goddard etc to contribute well.
Im not sure how lid off to go with Tippa yet, I am interested in seeing how much midfield time he will get this year. His forward craft is great.

I guess im expecting big development from Daniher, parish and Fantasia.

Also hope McGrath, Francis come on as well, as they have a high level of talent as well.

3 Likes

I’ll play

1. Zerret
  2. JD
  3. Fanta
  4. Jobe
  5. Hepp
  6. Hurley
  7. Hooker
  8. Parish
  9. Tippa
  10. Colyer
3 Likes

Tom Lonergan has how many premiership medallions?
It’s lock down defenders that allow you to use your more attacking talls for intercept marking and then delivery up field.

2 Likes

Spot on.

1 Like

Tom Lonergan has 1 premiership medallion.

Think Ryder is the big loss here (sorry to bring up old dirt). Always sticks with me a comment Leigh Mathews made one night how a quick mobile ruckman makes your side look so much faster being able to cover the dangerous space…Ryder was perfect (and now in his prime)

I get what you are saying Ants, but although Zerret was not playing as a defender, last year he won Best Defender at the Crichton, because he backfilled that role. He ran down into deep defence and collected the ball at stoppages and chaos ball over and over again, ran out of defence and kicked to players upfield. This was in addition to Tippa and Conors runnjg defender roles in the games they played.

1 Like

Stanton has done a lot of that in the past, I can’t remember him being called a running back. And Zerrett probably got the defensive reward because of how many tackles he laid around the contest.

3 Likes

I have never been to the new facility and have to go out that way tomorrow. Can someone please tell me if one can just walk in for a look around ? I was trying to find out if they train tomorrow and what time.Probably the training sessions are closed though ?