Training Wednesday 24/8/16 - Jumbo Justifies His Presence

THANKS SAL

I thought maybe 1.

I’m an u13 coach and can pretty confidently say that “leading on the 45” is pretty much a fundamental at local club level, and that includes juniors. Younger Kids don’t often do it though. You basically have a much larger target zone in front of the player than for straight leads both because there will usually be more space in front of them than straight down the ground and because it’s just easier to put it where that player can adjust his run and still hit the ball at pace. It’s simple when you just think about getting the ball where you want to maximise the chance of your guy getting it. For that, the space in front of your leading player is good and sometimes better than trying to hit them up precisely when under pressure. One afl asst coach who ran a drill with kids in waves going up and down the ground insisted that all kicks should be on angles unless there was an unattended player straight up the line. He also said “a kick to grass is a great kick”, which really was trying to get them to put it into space in front of your leading player.

I thought we played this year like a 4 or 5 win effort so I am happy. What we didn’t expect is really the last 12 games only 2-4 new top up players were in the side and the kids were giving us the better effort. It’s why this year has been a success

Long is a prodigy! Our midfield is going to be all star.

Tippa tackles so hard part of Ashby’s hair detached.

Tippa tackles so hard part of Ashby's hair detached.

http://i67.tinypic.com/286wk0x.jpg

Uncle. UNCLE!

Thanks jackie and karma. I found your comments on what the players should and shouldn’t be doing on the field insightfull. Coming from a rugby union background, i haven’t quite grasped the nuances of the game such as running lines etc within AFL, so whilst i have learnt to love the game, sometimes I’m still puzzled as to what the players are doing.

thanks karma. nice shots!

I thought we’d win 0.

Thanks jackie and karma. I found your comments on what the players should and shouldn't be doing on the field insightfull. Coming from a rugby union background, i haven't quite grasped the nuances of the game such as running lines etc within AFL, so whilst i have learnt to love the game, sometimes I'm still puzzled as to what the players are doing.
I've been watching Essendon for forty three years and sometimes I'm still puzzled at what the players are doing.

Honestly, I couldn’t have imagined how we could lose a game.

I thought 3 or 4. As others have said, if we kicked straight it could have been 5 or 6, which would have been sensational.

Oddly enough, it’s been a fairly stress free season when one expects to lose pretty much every game.

Had no idea to be honest but I’ve enjoyed this year’s footy more than the previous 15. No expectations, no pressure and over the losses in a blink. Mind you I’ve stayed out of the match day thread and so far I’ve only watched 21 games in total and they all involved the Dons. (OK, I watched the pre season games involving us too and our televised VFL games.)
Next week will be 22 and seeing as the Scum and Filth aren’t there I couldn’t care less about the finals.
And this week? My heart says a win but my reason says a loss AND frankly I’m over the vicissitudes of the heart, I WANT MCCLUGGAGE(or whoever Jackets calls as number 1) and I’ll be over the loss in the blink of the eye.

I came back to earth after rd 1 and thought “oh well, better get used to that!” The dees win was a revelation and meant more was possible.

We beat ourselves a couple of times with confidence draining inaccuracy.

My big disappointments were Anzac Day and the BL.

Zerrett and Parish have been great to watch. Walla was great early, but faded in the last bunch.

Thanks jackie and karma. I found your comments on what the players should and shouldn't be doing on the field insightfull. Coming from a rugby union background, i haven't quite grasped the nuances of the game such as running lines etc within AFL, so whilst i have learnt to love the game, sometimes I'm still puzzled as to what the players are doing.
I've been watching Essendon for forty three years and sometimes I'm still puzzled at what the players are doing.

I played the game (not very well) until I was 46 and I’m stuffed if I know what our players are doing most of the time.

Edit.
It could be worse, the umpires have got no idea what they’re doing, never mind the players.

Thanks Jackie & Karma for your insightful & entertaining training reports & fantastic photos throughout the year -I live up the bush so any first hand info about training was always eagerly awaited & enjoyed. Coming to town for this last game…can’t wait & just hope we can put no. 3 on the board!

If we win by 30 and lions lose by 60 to stk we avoid the wooden spoon by 0.2% according to my inputs into the AFL Ladder Predictor.

Welcome to the rest of us from about 12 years ago.

It’s not going to get any easier. The players are more and more confused each season.

Thanks for the reports all year Jackie.
Great pics as always karma.

I didn’t have an exact target in mind but I’m a bit disappointed with two. There were a couple of games I really thought we had a very good chance to win, eg Brisbane here at Docklands, and we really didn’t fire a shot. If we win on Saturday I will be a whole lot happier, but we’ll have to play very differently from the way we did on Sunday. Carlton are, much as I hate to say it, definitely improving and they have won more than was expected and given some very good teams a real run for their money. We have to take them on very hard right from the start and never let up.