Training Wednesday 28/1/15

Cheers JM, your reports and insights are always much-appreciated mate.

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

Training at Tullamarine on the McCracken Oval in mild, breezy conditions.

Knackers helped with the report today and I can quote him on Joe Daniher: “I was impressed with Daniher’s groundwork which resulted in three goals.” I agree with this. Joe’s first goal was greeted with applause because a miss would have meant press ups again. In one of his goals in general play he picked up the ball and gave Kav the “don’t argue” before kicking truly and a minute later followed this collecting the ball and wheeling on to his left foot for a lovely long goal. Apart from some bad kicking last Friday his preseason form has been impressive.

I reckon he’s more dangerous at ground level or more rather ‘general play’ than he is in the air, and he is mighty friggin dangerous in the air.

Tackles well, has slick hands, great awareness and he’s a much better shot at goal when he doesn’t have to think about it. Much better.

He also did many little ‘taps to advantage’ last year that resulted in goals. The boy can seriously play footy.

If Cooney is fully fit he could win the Brownlow!

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

He also did many little 'taps to advantage' last year that resulted in goals.

Wait till Jake Long is playing…

Thanks for the training reports!

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink
He also did many little 'taps to advantage' last year that resulted in goals.

Wait till Jake Long is playing…

This was a beaut: youtu.be/ea6646pWLtg

I’ll also add I don’t mind Shaun McKernan we got from the Crows. Interested to see where he fits in with our team structure. Seems like a nice bloke too. Well if you can forgive him this cheap shot a few years ago.

Quoted Post

If Cooney is fully fit he could win the Brownlow!

Its certainly possible for a player to win the Brownlow at 30

Quoted Post

A reply to: @EFC4ever regarding QuoteLink
JM or anyone else know... Is there training Friday? I have a day off, so would like to head out.

Thursday is normally the players’ day off so there should be training on Friday.

As its not an advertised open session you won’t necessarily see all the players out on the ground.

I think you can probably go and watch the worst that can happen is that you will be politely asked to leave but that is unlikely if you are not a spy.

thanks i have to drive from hampton so takes at least 90 mins to get to training. ill see how i go. I have only been to 3 sessions all pre season, my work schedule has been a drainer.

JM or anyone else know… Is there training Friday? I have a day off, so would like to head out.

JM or anyone else know... Is there training Friday? I have a day off, so would like to head out.

Thursday is normally the players’ day off so there should be training on Friday.

As its not an advertised open session you won’t necessarily see all the players out on the ground.

I think you can probably go and watch the worst that can happen is that you will be politely asked to leave but that is unlikely if you are not a spy.

It was great to meet you yesterday Jackie, and thanks again for your report.

You covered everything very well as always in training so I won’t add to that.

I did pop back after you left to have a look at the goal kicking practice, where Lloyd was spending time training Daniher, Hurley and Ambrose.

Daniher in particular seems to have tightened up his routine considerably and was very impressive kicking with a quite tricky crossbreeze from about 45 on various angles. There seemed to be fewer moving parts and a lower more controlled ball drop. His kicks were a much lower trajectory than the other 2 with a real punching motion. He was certainly the most impressive of the 3 and got most of his shots.

I’ve never really liked Ambrose’s action, and this doesn’t seem to have changes much. He seems to kick a lot of high floaters, however they generally went straight.

Hurley on the other hand was ordinary and would have been well less than 50%. For such a good kick in general play he really seems to struggle with a set routine when kicking for goal. Hopefully Lloydy can sort this out as there will certainly be times when we use him down there.

Hurls doing his best to keep his spot in the backline. :slight_smile:

Ambrose’s ball drop is the problem

Paddyl90’s post earlier mentioned that the players were having 4 days off so you may want to ring the Club first to confirm before driving all the way just to watch the grass grow.

Quoted Post

Ambrose's ball drop is the problem

If they go through the big sticks, I couldn’t care less how it looks.

Don’t remember him missing too many set shots last year.

I can confirm a previous post for anyone contemplating going to training at Tulla tomorrow (Friday) - don’t waste your time!
The players have been given FOUR days off and don’t return to training until next Monday, 2nd February.

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink
Training at Tullamarine on the McCracken Oval in mild, breezy conditions.

Knackers helped with the report today and I can quote him on Joe Daniher: “I was impressed with Daniher’s groundwork which resulted in three goals.” I agree with this. Joe’s first goal was greeted with applause because a miss would have meant press ups again. In one of his goals in general play he picked up the ball and gave Kav the “don’t argue” before kicking truly and a minute later followed this collecting the ball and wheeling on to his left foot for a lovely long goal. Apart from some bad kicking last Friday his preseason form has been impressive.

I reckon he’s more dangerous at ground level or more rather ‘general play’ than he is in the air, and he is mighty friggin dangerous in the air.

Tackles well, has slick hands, great awareness and he’s a much better shot at goal when he doesn’t have to think about it. Much better.

He also did many little ‘taps to advantage’ last year that resulted in goals. The boy can seriously play footy.

Yup. His second efforts and ground level work (not just contesting, but actually winning the ball, and doing something creative with it) were good even in his first year. Does stuff that 200cm players, let alone very raw kids, aren’t meant to do.
Still has lots of improvement to make in the air, IMHO, as well as his set shots obviously. 2nd half of the year he was much more convincing flying at the ball.

@EFC4ever, it only takes 50 mins from Hampton unless you’re talking about Hampton Park? and of course taking traffic conditions into account.

Quoted Post

@EFC4ever, it only takes 50 mins from Hampton unless you're talking about Hampton Park? and of course taking traffic conditions into account.

Your saying at peak time at 8.15/8.30am - it takes 50 mins - Lucky to get past albert park haha… with all the school zones.

In past few years in the pre season during December and during the season, i have had to leave at 8.15-8.30 to get to tulla by 9.45 - 10.00am. i am fine with this - as long as i see some training but i have been advised that the players have 4 days off - so will venture out next friday :wink: