Training Wednesday 28/5/14

Training on the McCracken Oval at Tullamarine in mild conditions with a gentle breeze. Koala watched with me today and says hello to all her friends.

Among the players absent today were Gleeson, Hurley and Hibberd and Jackson Merrett ran laps and won’t play this week leaving an opening for Winderlich or Chapman who both trained strongly.

I think the players are feeling a little bit frustrated at the team’ slack of form but at the same time there is a feeling that the latter part of the Swans’ match showed that things are improving and this is supported by the coach’s comments after the game that there were signs of the game plan being successfully implemented.

Today’s training session started of with Goddard clapping his hands and urging his team mates with “C’mon guys another good session!” And this is what eventuates. Today’s session was efficient, enthusiastic and pretty upbeat with lots of talk and constructive comments.

The biggest issue is the forward line so I will concentrate on this today. Bomber is involving himself strongly in this area and in conjunction with Bassett ran the following drill: players were paired off e.g. Carlisle and Joe, Bellchambers and Fletcher etc. The defensive player started two metres behind the leading forward who was trying to mark and then wheel and goal. This exercise was repeated continuously in sets of five without pause. It was effective because it involved fitness, pressure and kicking for goal with the defenders being urged to stand the mark if one was taken without incurring a fifty metre penalty when the forward wheeled and kicked.

However things didn’t always got to plan. Carlisle marked in front of Joe and as Bomber barked at him “wheel and kick a goal” Carlisle wheeled towards the goals empty handed suddenly realising with “Oh s…t yes” that he had forgotten that part and hand balled off to a trainer after taking the mark.

I don’t want to be too specific about the forward line tactics but as it’s an open session I feel I can say a little. The forward set up that we saw today mainly revolved around four players. Bellchambers played deep full forward which makes sense for high ball and body on body marking contests. joe and Jake sometimes swapped but basically Joe played half forward practising timing fast leads while Carlisle played on the fifty metre arc up to eighty metres out often blocking for Winderlich to lose his opponent.

It was pleasing to see a high level of communication between the players mad even more pleasing to see Bomber take Myers and Bellchambers to task when Tommy led to the pocket and Myers kicked it to him. Bomber yelled sternly “we don’t kick it there, don’t lead to the pocket.” This of course was a major problem last year when Hurley played forward.

The forward line is a work in progress but progress is definitely being made if somewhat slowly.

A good session today - the players seem fresh, vocal and enthusiastic. I can’t see any reason why they won’t play well against Richmond. As people repeatedly point out to me this is a game we have to win and it may provide the answer to whether Bomber’s strategy of a quieter start to the season and a stronger finish towards the finals is going to work.

cheers  jm

Thanks as always.

JM for all your training sessions this year

you da real MVP

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this working on Saturday nigth

Very interesting. I hope Koala had her scarf on.

Thanks a lot JM.

On the leading to the pocket thing, I had the feeling that that was part of the game plan last year. Collingwood won a flag with that as their main option for attacking, and I felt we were trying to emulate that.

Kick it to a leading forward in the pocket. If the forward doesn’t mark the defender doesn’t clear, but rather the ball goes out of bounds and we get to set up a stoppage, and a forward zone. This keeps the ball locked in our forward line for long periods and stops opposition rebounding quickly / scoring quickly on turnovers.

Interesting that we seem to have gone away from this, especially given the immaturity of Daniher’s body which makes it difficult for him to control where the ball ends in a contest if it’s not kicked to his advantage.

Awesome as always JM

Thanks.

Hope she had a bit more than just her scarf on. :P

That's enough of that kind of talk!

That's enough of that kind of talk!

Perhaps Carla has replaced Tiff!

thanks as always - great report

hibb and Jmerrett not playing or just jmerrett.

otherwise as Incoming! would say ........

1339605827_excited_fan.gif

hibb and Jmerrett not playing or just jmerrett.

otherwise as Incoming! would say ........

1339605827_excited_fan.gif

Just Jackson I would have thought

Thanks JM

HER scarf?

Since when?

JM, do you expect Melksham to play this week? Also, was Howlett in full training?

Cheers once again for your efforts.

Thanks a lot JM.
On the leading to the pocket thing, I had the feeling that that was part of the game plan last year. Collingwood won a flag with that as their main option for attacking, and I felt we were trying to emulate that.
Kick it to a leading forward in the pocket. If the forward doesn't mark the defender doesn't clear, but rather the ball goes out of bounds and we get to set up a stoppage, and a forward zone. This keeps the ball locked in our forward line for long periods and stops opposition rebounding quickly / scoring quickly on turnovers.
Interesting that we seem to have gone away from this, especially given the immaturity of Daniher's body which makes it difficult for him to control where the ball ends in a contest if it's not kicked to his advantage.

It feels to me we still do this too often during games.  Much prefer we worked on running hard to offer an running lead to space away from the pockets. 

And thanks JM for the report, which are always of a high quality.

Was it a typo or a Freudian slip to say slack of form?

Training session on Friday morning at 10am followed by Ryder, Dempsey, Jetta and Edwards being in the Bomber Shop at 11am with autograph and photo opportunities who for those interested.

More details at efc website.

Thanks Jackie

Any sign of Dell and Stein ? Maybe an upgrade…