Training Wednesday 3/8/16

Round 20 seems about the right time to start skills practice.

You win the internet for today.

10/10

A common fault was kicking the ball too high over the dummy's head and I lamented the loss of the stab kick of the 40's and 50's which would have been interesting to see.

Now I know you are incredibly old but look much younger than your years, but 1940 was a very long time ago.

I remember the Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell stabs passes in the 1960’s that hit Ted Fordham the chest every time.

A common fault was kicking the ball too high over the dummy's head and I lamented the loss of the stab kick of the 40's and 50's which would have been interesting to see.

Now I know you are incredibly old but look much younger than your years, but 1940 was a very long time ago.

I remember the Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell stabs passes in the 1960’s that hit Ted Fordham the chest every time.

There were also an awful lot of stab passes and drop kicks that were complete flubs.

Love the training reports JM. Always a highlight of knowing what is going on at the club.

Re kicking/passing drills-
I don’t like that they were kicking at a stationary silhouette/cutout figure. If you do that in a game, it is a recipe for an opponent coming across and intercepting. Always kick it to the receiver’s advantage, be that short, deep or to one side. It would be simpler and much more like a match situation if you had a kicking group and a leading group 60m apart. A coach handballs to the kicker, and at the same time the receiver starts a sharp lead, the kicker looks up, takes 3 or 4 steps and kicks to the lead. If you want to complicate it further, put a defender who starts 5m behind the receiver and tries to spoil or intercept. There you have a proper kicking to a lead type drill.

Re Joe’s goalkicking practice-
I reserve judgement on how effective it might be. All I will say is that practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent.
If Joe is using a dodgy technique in practice, all he is doing is cementing it further into his muscle memory. He needs to be watched, and even videotaped. He needs a definite technique that he is attempting to use, and maybe he does have that.
For anyone who plays golf, think of putting practice. If you have a faulty technique, it doesn’t matter how many hours you practise, you will only improve if you practice, and embed, a better technique that will work. Think swing changes. You identify what you want to do differently, then you practice the technique (with someone watching and videotaping, for you to watch back yourself). You practice it until you have perfected the new technique and it has become second nature. Any other practice is potentially harmful.
Practice on his own, where he is still hooking the ball, will not help Joe at all.

I’ve changed the way I kick the footy in indoor afl and now I kick much straighter after 12 years of footy(8 years outdoor and 4 years indoor haha) . Boy it was hard and thought I could never do it but I find the ball not swing as much. It was the way I drop the ball and kind of the same how daniher drops his ball- leading hand coming over the body. Just practised at work over a period of short time recently believe it or not hahaha. the ball height, keeping my leading hand not coming over my body and focusing on my follow through and arm action. Whilst its not PERFECT as I’m still adjusting to it I find my accuracy so much better. Fk it i maze well coach daniher sign me up

There were also an awful lot of stab passes and drop kicks that were complete flubs.

Not from Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell. They were elite midfielders with a full range of kicking skills. John’s 79 and Hughie 81 but I bet they can still kick a footy. We could do worse than ask them to teach our lads the stab kick.

Absurd that they just leave Joe to his own devices to practice. His accuracy on match day is about 50%, so why should we expect any different when he just takes pot shots.

He doesn’t actually know why he’s missing, otherwise he wouldn’t miss. He NEEDS someone to watch and advise him.

Perhaps he already knows why he’s missing but needs practice to execute consistently?

Absurd that they just leave Joe to his own devices to practice. His accuracy on match day is about 50%, so why should we expect any different when he just takes pot shots.

He doesn’t actually know why he’s missing, otherwise he wouldn’t miss. He NEEDS someone to watch and advise him.

Perhaps he already knows why he’s missing but needs practice to execute consistently?

That’s what I thought at the start of year, that Lloyd wouldn’t be a big loss because he’d already told him what he needs to do, but he doesn’t have a set routine and his accuracy hasn’t improved.

Its not how well you can Kick but how you teach someone who can"t kick straight and change their kicking style so the y can kick the ball to where they want it to go.And getting that person to believe they will kick it accurately.

The good old days. Great players. Hugh Mitchell was my favourite player. Back in 1959 I wrote him a letter and I got one back. I have it to this day.

Thanks Jackie.

Hope Joe’s still there right now having shots. Shouldn’t stop until second dinner.

Thanks Jackie!

Not from Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell. They were elite midfielders with a full range of kicking skills. John’s 79 and Hughie 81 but I bet they can still kick a footy. We could do worse than ask them to teach our lads the stab kick.

I agree 100% about Clarke, Birt and Mitchell but not about teaching the current crop the stab kick. It is an incredibly hard kick to master and guys that can’t hit the side of a barn from inside the barn with a drop punt are never going to pick it up. Now I am going to have nightmares for weeks dreaming about the likes of Dempsey and Gleeson trying to rip stab passes into the forwards.

Picked up a proper footy for the first time in many, many, years last week. To have a kick with a friend’s son, a young 7 year old Sydney Swans supporter, who when he grows up wants to be an AFL player. The nephew of Richard Collis. I managed to kick with both right and left feet, after several tries I could kick straight through the centre of what we were using as goal posts from about 30 metres out. Not too bad for an old fart.

Then again, Jackie Clarke, taught me how to kick a footy. ( A home made footy made from rolled up newspaper and tied up with string in the street outside our house, 65 years ago.) Maybe its like riding a bike?

Love the training reports JM. Always a highlight of knowing what is going on at the club.

Re kicking/passing drills-
I don’t like that they were kicking at a stationary silhouette/cutout figure. If you do that in a game, it is a recipe for an opponent coming across and intercepting. Always kick it to the receiver’s advantage, be that short, deep or to one side. It would be simpler and much more like a match situation if you had a kicking group and a leading group 60m apart. A coach handballs to the kicker, and at the same time the receiver starts a sharp lead, the kicker looks up, takes 3 or 4 steps and kicks to the lead. If you want to complicate it further, put a defender who starts 5m behind the receiver and tries to spoil or intercept. There you have a proper kicking to a lead type drill.

Re Joe’s goalkicking practice-
I reserve judgement on how effective it might be. All I will say is that practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent.
If Joe is using a dodgy technique in practice, all he is doing is cementing it further into his muscle memory. He needs to be watched, and even videotaped. He needs a definite technique that he is attempting to use, and maybe he does have that.
For anyone who plays golf, think of putting practice. If you have a faulty technique, it doesn’t matter how many hours you practise, you will only improve if you practice, and embed, a better technique that will work. Think swing changes. You identify what you want to do differently, then you practice the technique (with someone watching and videotaping, for you to watch back yourself). You practice it until you have perfected the new technique and it has become second nature. Any other practice is potentially harmful.
Practice on his own, where he is still hooking the ball, will not help Joe at all.

If the receivers knew when and where to lead during a game we could make some progress too. Watching the lack of co-ordination between the forwards is horrific at times.

The good old days. Great players. Hugh Mitchell was my favourite player. Back in 1959 I wrote him a letter and I got one back. I have it to this day.

I thought I was getting on, but I was born in '59. Good to hear stories from bomber supporters of all ages on blitz

Yes, Hugh Mitchel, Barry Davis and even Alec Epis rarely kicked bad drop kicks. Some of the others who couldnt, didnt eg. David Shaw and Bluey Shelton. Others who lacked the skill tried and failed. It was a difficult skill and died out for obvious reasons. Probably the best drop kick I remember outside our club was Ted Whitten.

There arent too many players in the side who ever do anything like a stab kick, BJ is one. Funnily enough, Francis can do them, maybe not with the same action but with the same effect , but they will probably discourage him from doing them. Its all about risk. Fair enough.

Then again, Jackie Clarke, taught me how to kick a footy. ( A home made footy made from rolled up newspaper and tied up with string in the street outside our house, 65 years ago.)

I kicked a tied up paper with Neville Fields in Alma St. Essendon - when I could manage to get a kick that is.

No reason why full time modern players couldn’t learn to do the stab kick - could end up being a secret weapon as the ball moves much faster than a drop punt.

Picked up a proper footy for the first time in many, many, years last week. To have a kick with a friend's son, a young 7 year old Sydney Swans supporter, who when he grows up wants to be an AFL player. The nephew of Richard Collis. I managed to kick with both right and left feet, after several tries I could kick straight through the centre of what we were using as goal posts from about 30 metres out. Not too bad for an old fart.

Then again, Jackie Clarke, taught me how to kick a footy. ( A home made footy made from rolled up newspaper and tied up with string in the street outside our house, 65 years ago.) Maybe its like riding a bike?

Back in the good ol days in 1956. I remember kicking a home made footy from old newspapers tied up with string around it with my mates. It would last a while too. I wonder who was the kid who invented it. A legatee from Legacy bought me my first football in 1957. I became the most popular kid in the street with the new footy.