Training Wednesday 30/4/14

Training in mild, windy conditions at Tullamarine.

The pre training press conference was uneventful with some journalists on a treadmill asking the same questions each time. Bomber was measured, intense and giving little away today.

I would describe the atmosphere today as workman like - not down but not jumping out of their skins either. The players need a win and it shows a bit.

All the training was on the McCracken Oval today apart from Myers walking some laps on the Clarke Oval. The most noticeable absentees were Gleeson and Jetta. Bellchambers, Hocking Kavanagh and Goddard all trained solidly in what was a heavy session taking advantage of the eight day break. I suspect Tommy is having a little trouble jumping but Ryder and Daniher had intensive goal kicking practice from inside fifty at the airport end which makes me suspect that Ryder will spend some time in the forward line while Bellchambers rucks but of course this is speculation.

Bomber spent the entire session on the ground and was very vocal. Today great emphasis was placed on lateral hand passing presumably to get more run into the side and there was a constant call of “go sideways, go sideways”. On balance this is a good thing provided the recipient is not so far behind in the chain that the lateral hand pass is also backwards which is clumsy and slows things down. While on the subject of getting more run into the side Dempsey was very prominent in the early part of the session streaming down the ground bouncing the ball on several occasions.

It was noticeable that there was a lot of emphasis on using the corridor whenever possible and the coach was critical of players who went wide. This should lead to a spirited contest on Saturday because Footscray is well up in the stats for both handball sand pressure acts.

Probably the most interesting drills of the day were the close in handball drills at stoppages. Bomber took these with rotating groups of about a dozen players and Bomber was relentless and passionately vocal continually urging the players to keep moving, to run and carry, to block and to “f…ing grab it.” If a player fumbled a teammate was expected to be next into the ball and players running around the sides of the pack were the targets for bringing the ball back into the corridor and setting up the shot at goal.

The club has it’s back to the wall - it was a solid session looking to grind out a win on Saturday night.

Thanks JM.

How were Jobe and Goddard? Into full training?

The reason I ask about Jobe is due to the gastro rumour last week and his output going down as the day went on.

interesting observation on tbell and his leap. i certainly got that sense watching him in the VFL on saturday. he was struggling to get over hudson who certainly isn't renowned as a high leaping ruck. tbell seemed reluctant to take off early and try and get a ride which is his usual style (as drilled into him by s madden). hopefully he just needs to regain a bit of confidence in the joint which will come with match time.

Very good summary. Thanks. I definitely think we’ll be looking to take the game on against the dogs. Run, carry and link through the corridor. Our ball movement has been stagnant lately.

Expecting a much better performance this game, no excuses.

interesting observation on tbell and his leap. i certainly got that sense watching him in the VFL on saturday. he was struggling to get over hudson who certainly isn't renowned as a high leaping ruck. tbell seemed reluctant to take off early and try and get a ride which is his usual style (as drilled into him by s madden). hopefully he just needs to regain a bit of confidence in the joint which will come with match time.

Hudson did a very good job of turning all the stoppage ball ups into wrestling matches, or trying to (unsuccessfully) milk the free when Belly tried to play off him. I say "unsuccessfully" on that last one, but it was semi successful as Belly was so busy not giving the free that no-one got the tap.

I admit though it's hard to tell on iView sometimes who is who, so any VFL commentary from me this week should be taken as "Blitz" commentary, not informed commentary... :)

KAV lives!

The reason I ask about Jobe is due to the gastro rumour last week and his output going down as the day went on.

Yes.

Cheers JM

Yes.

Thanks JM.

I'd rather Ryder jump in the ruck, T-Bell stick his arms up at full forward, while Jake and Joe lead.

How'd Jackson Merrett train Jackie? He's popped up on the official AFL list as being a test for this week with a shoulder.

I'd rather Ryder jump in the ruck, T-Bell stick his arms up at full forward, while Jake and Joe lead.

That's what I was thinking as well. Surely Ryder will ruck most of the game and TBell will give him a chop out 5-10 minutes each quarter, similar to what JD has been doing this season.

How'd Jackson Merrett train Jackie? He's popped up on the official AFL list as being a test for this week with a shoulder.

I didn't really notice him Karma Bomber might be able to add a comment.

Just a few pics from this morning's session.

Cale commences the session by raising the ball to the crowd.......of green bushes, that vigorously shake their leaves in appreciation!

Jobe gets a hip massage before rejoining full training.

Bomba in animated discussion with Jakey.

Bomba releases the ball into a stoppage drill.

Fletch to Winders to "go down the corridor" to goal!

What kit is this?!

.....and these

Bomba reminds Stants of his preferred set up at the stoppage.

Benny breaks clear from the stoppage and kicks forward via the corridor.

Belly (pretending to be Paddy) tests his spring in the hit outs.

Meanwhile....Paddy, being himself, takes time out to sharpen his goal kicking.

and finally, Brendan, with his training top a little worse for wear, decides it's an opportunity for a suntan!

I didn't really notice him Karma Bomber might be able to add a comment.

He was thereabouts, but nothing in his training to have him stand out.

So the grass is greener on the other side!

Do players retrieve their training apparel from one huge bin of clothes?