Training Wednesday 5/3/14

Training at Tullamarine in cool, breezy conditions.

Bomber and Jobe were absent today for the AFL launch - a day off would probably be a good thing for Jobe.

The atmosphere at the McCracken Oval while not downbeat was fairly subdued.

Winderlich and Hibberd we’re running fairly freely on the Clarke Oval which is a good sign and Tom Bellchambers walked slow laps bouncing a ball.

There is not a lot to report today but there was some interesting contrasts in goal kicking practice. Joe did very well today and his confidence must be growing as he nailed most of his shots from 40 to 50 metres out. The opposite was the case with Leroy Jetta whose confidence

seems at a low ebb as

far as goal kicking is concerned. I saw him miss four shots in a row from the pocket about 35 out in exactly the same way each time as the ball curled away. In every other aspect his pre season has been full of promise and I am sure that Bomber is pleased with his endeavour as he has flung himself into the play. I think he needs to be told that in games he shouldn’t hesitate but just go for goal whenever he is in range.

Piazza wants me to say that he is impressed with Neil Craig taking training and I would have to agree with him but all the coaches seem to be working well together.

Otherwise an unremarkable session.

Piazza? Has he turned into an Italian square? For a start, I didn't know he was an eye-tie.

Or a brand of coffee?

Or maybe the Dodgers/Mets catcher of a few years back, Mike Piazza.

Training at Tullamarine in cool, breezy conditions.
Bomber and Jobe were absent today for the AFL launch - a day off would probably be a good thing for Jobe.
The atmosphere at the McCracken Oval while not downbeat was fairly subdued.
Winderlich and Hibberd we're running fairly freely on the Clarke Oval which is a good sign and Tom Bellchambers walked slow laps bouncing a ball.
There is not a lot to report today but there was some interesting contrasts in goal kicking practice. Joe did very well today and his confidence must be growing as he nailed most of his shots from 40 to 50 metres out. The opposite was the case with Leroy Jetta whose confidence
seems at a low ebb as
far as goal kicking is concerned. I saw him miss four shots in a row from the pocket about 35 out in exactly the same way each time as the ball curled away. In every other aspect his pre season has been full of promise and I am sure that Bomber is pleased with his endeavour as he has flung himself into the play. I think he needs to be told that in games he shouldn't hesitate but just go for goal whenever he is in range.
Piazza wants me to say that he is impressed with Neil Craig taking training and I would have to agree with him but all the coaches seem to be working well together.
Otherwise an unremarkable session.

We really need them in the very tough early rounds. Do you believe, with the intensity at which they ran, they will be cleared for selection rnd 1?

Cheers.

Can't help but think things have been a bit flat of late. Hopefully things get a bit perkier over the coming weeks.

Joe nailing set shots is exactly what I want to hear!

Unremarkable? Don’t care.

Licha and hibbo running, lid back off

Licha and hibbo running, lid back off

I liked this but I'm still disappointed you put the lid on in the first place.

Cheers jackie lol.

Dalgleish seemed to be given a fairly searching fitness test too.

Good to hear about Licha and Hibbo, Not having our first game for another 2 weeks will defs help them get ready

Great seeing Dempsey in full match practice.

We really need them in the very tough early rounds. Do you believe, with the intensity at which they ran, they will be cleared for selection rnd 1?

Cheers.

I've no idea - that's a medical question.

Cheers.

Jackie's too mainstream too quote and then write her reply, instead she just writes her reply in the quote!

Jackie's a lady? Tiff posts have taken on a new dimension.

Agree with JM’s comments in what was a fairly non eventful morning session.

This was only my second session this year so I don’t have a great frame of reference.

But a few of my thoughts for what they’re worth.

Yes Jetta missed plenty of shots at the cafe end but he nailed plenty at the other end and should lots of endeavor.

Not sure if there’s a trick to shooting at that end because Carlisle also missed plenty of his shots.

One thing I noticed in the drills today is the contrast between Daniher and Carlisle when marking on the lead.

Daniher grabs at everything with his arms fully stretched but Carlisle has the elbows bent at right angles.

I watched Joey one on one with Hurley and he continually out stretched Hurley.

And while on Hurley, I can’t remember seeing a more disinterested guy on the training track.

I felt he showed no effort. At one point during the practice games he seemed to be carrying an ankle.

He wasn’t chasing hard and Daniher was breaking on the lead every chance he had.

Then Doc Reid yells out “is the ankle ok?” Hurley yells “yep” and off he goes with a little more effort.

Just not sure about him down back.

Missing…No Jobe or Chappy today. Hibberd and Winderlich did plenty of laps, Dalgliesh had his own private training session and Tommy walked lap after lap.

When Hibberd finished he told Doc Reid that he reckons he can play this week. We’ll see.

Dalgliesh told the doc he felt great.

Tommy was wearing what looked like a compression sock. His leg looks like it has wasted away a bit.

Agree with the guys regarding Craig. He took the younger guys and had them doing ball up drills.

He has a very strong teachers ethic about him.

He would stop them in mid drill and instruct them on how to do things better.

After on drill he stop Aylett and asked if he wanted to be an AFL player and that if he did he’d have to learn to hit targets.

This particular drill focused heavily on the third man up still ball ups.

I was very impressed with how the boys were taking it all in.

Edwards really impressed me the way he broke away from the packs but he to missed many shots at the cafe end.

He reminders me so much of Freo’s Stephen Hill. We could have something special here.

First time I’ve seen Fantasia. Has some skill but needs to stars eating. I’ve got band aids that cast a big shadow than him.

Thurlow and Ambrose make James Manson look like a great kick.

Now Goddard…he will be a coach!

Loved the way he would drag his opponent into position during the ball up drills and say this is where you must stand.

Loved the way he would let the third man up how to cup the palm of his hand to help direct the flight of the ball.

He was one of the more vocal and enthusiastic guy out there.

The short pass drills to the leading forwards were pretty good.

Stand outs were Myers, Edwards, Stanton.

Daniher and Hardingham marked everything.

Bassett had a go, narked on his chest and immediately got told off for not doing as he preached. Arms out stretched!

Dempsey hit the track latter than the others and did some warm up drills with Crow.

Joined in with the rest but looked rusty to me.

Melksham looks raring to go and was very hard at it and very vocal.

One last thing.

During the practice match, the boys were continually stopped and Goodwin would explain where the defenders should be and where the forwards should be running to.

I thought the defenders struggled a bit to get the ball out because of the excellent forward pressure.

Towards the end they started to switch the ball from flank to flank a lot better which earned the praise of all the coaches.

Cheers

Thanks for the reports guys.

Did Hams and Kommer train?

Cheers.

Ah, sorry that's right you're an outpatient not a doctor. :D

Thanks for the reports, they're brilliant.

Thanks for the reports guys.

Did Hams and Kommer train?

Didn't see them or Colyer

Great report again.Thanks JM and other contributors!!!

Agree with JM's comments in what was a fairly non eventful morning session.
This was only my second session this year so I don't have a great frame of reference.
But a few of my thoughts for what they're worth.
Yes Jetta missed plenty of shots at the cafe end but he nailed plenty at the other end and should lots of endeavor.
Not sure if there's a trick to shooting at that end because Carlisle also missed plenty of his shots.

Its the pressure end. Illusion of people watching on while they take shots. While at the other end there is no such pressure. Doesn't bode well for game day.