Training Wednesday 8/1/14

Training I pleasant conditions at Tullamarine.

Crowds are building here there were about 200 supporters present with many children.

The bulk of the session was devoted to two low contact ball movement sessions using both ovals at the same time with the playing groups swapping over half way through.

It’s not possible to watch both ovals at once so my report focuses on the Etihad oval sessions and hopefully someone else will cover the main oval sessions.

The sessions I saw can best be described as “freeze frame choreographies” the ball would be given to one team on the back line and they had to attempt to move it to the forward line to set up a shot without being intercepted. At critical moments the coaches would call on the players to freeze wherever they were then a detailed analysis of positioning and structures would follow to try and develop the type of ball movement, running patterns and defensive skills that form the game plan…

An example would be a forward being told to run to a certain position dragging his defender with him to open up space in the centre corridor. To emphasise this direct approach to goal cones were used to cut off the wings confining the action to the central corridor.

It was interesting that in the second squad which had a higher proportion of the fringe players that Watson did a lot of the coaching constantly calling out to players during play and addressing them in the analysis of the freeze stoppages. We have a wonderful captain here and I see future coach written all over him.

There was also a great emphasis on talking, calling and keeping heads up - Browne for example being told quite vehemently to do this. Bomber is keen to get early decision making and taking the first option quickly which I mentioned in the previous report when a player failed to dish off a handball. Bomber said “You don’t have to move quick if you make early decisions.”

Edwards showed calmness and nice disposal again.

Ashby is a better overhead mark than I realised - I saw him take two strong ones.

Joe is working on his defensive skills which included a long chase on Goddard through the centre of the grounds and Steinberg drilled a lovely forty metre pass. He looks physically impressive this year and will push for senior selection.

I thought Gregory was showing some glimpses in defence and made a couple of good decisions in heavy traffic.

Overall the mood today was excellent with a number of outbursts of laughter in the huddles. It could be that the players enjoyed having some supporters present.

I hope someone can complement this report with information on what happened on the main oval.

My thanks again senor Mihocek

Love your work Jackie.
Can you give any comment of Kommer, I have been watching all our wins from last year (somehow the losses, do not interest me) and Kommer gets involved more than I thought. Perhaps with another pre-season and a higher level of fitness he will bloom a bit; what do you think?

Thanks!!!

Thank you very much Jackie. 

Great to hear about Jobe's approach (not really surprised) and encouraging to think Steinberg might cause some selection pressure this season. 

These reports are just about the best thing on Blitz. 

The things that I’ve been happiest to read in your recent reports, Jackie, are those where you talk about the excellent mood of the players and the sense of purpose that is present at all sessions. Nothing is more important for a successful team than high morale and a sense of self-confidence. Your reports since Thompson took over have been the most encouraging for many, many years.

You mention the change to open training sessions. I completely agree that they’re better. They’re consistent with an attitude that says, We’re not going to beat the opposition with players they’ve never seen before or tactics they don’t expect, we’re going to beat them by being fitter and playing harder and better.

I am very much looking forward to the first pre-season games.

Your a legend Jackie... a ■■■■■■ legend.  Thankyou.

Through the guts ala Geelong 09

No complementary commentary from me but I concur with the compliments of others except for Dons23 - these ARE the best thing on Blitz ATM.

Oh, and STEINBERG. I soooo want to see him get a run.

Some photos from today's training available here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/dave.savell/AFLEssendonTraining20140108?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Dave.

Absolutely brilliant pics. Thanks Dave.

Enjoyed chatting to you today David - great photos!

Love your work Jackie.
Can you give any comment of Kommer, I have been watching all our wins from last year (somehow the losses, do not interest me) and Kommer gets involved more than I thought. Perhaps with another pre-season and a higher level of fitness he will bloom a bit; what do you think?

Kommer is going very well as far as I can see and the calls of "Komzie" by his team mates seem to indicate that he is a very accepted member of the main group.

The two main tasks he faces are:

1. Learn the game plan so that he can be an effective cog moving to all the right spots.

2.  Needs to get more possessions/goals.

This second pre-season should help with both of these tasks and I would suspect that he will be fitter than at the start of 2013 and that his physical approach, blocking and shepherding will be an asset to the team.

Thanks guys for taking the time to post the report and photos.

Hi Jackie, thanks for the report

It says there was a 2km time trial today on twitter.

Do you know the results?

Apparently the usual suspects were up the front again (Rayner stanton) but  also one bolter

Hi Jackie, thanks for the report

It says there was a 2km time trial today on twitter.

Do you know the results?

Apparently the usual suspects were up the front again (Guess Rayner stanton) but  also one bolter

Who's Guess, and what position does he play?

The Bomba photo looks like he's been talking to Hird about which blonde he should use in his own hair. So golden!

Training I pleasant conditions at Tullamarine.
Crowds are building here there were about 200 supporters present with many children.
The bulk of the session was devoted to two low contact ball movement sessions using both ovals at the same time with the playing groups swapping over half way through.
It's not possible to watch both ovals at once so my report focuses on the Etihad oval sessions and hopefully someone else will cover the main oval sessions.
The sessions I saw can best be described as "freeze frame choreographies" the ball would be given to one team on the back line and they had to attempt to move it to the forward line to set up a shot without being intercepted. At critical moments the coaches would call on the players to freeze wherever they were then a detailed analysis of positioning and structures would follow to try and develop the type of ball movement, running patterns and defensive skills that form the game plan..
An example would be a forward being told to run to a certain position dragging his defender with him to open up space in the centre corridor. To emphasise this direct approach to goal cones were used to cut off the wings confining the action to the central corridor.
It was interesting that in the second squad which had a higher proportion of the fringe players that Watson did a lot of the coaching constantly calling out to players during play and addressing them in the analysis of the freeze stoppages. We have a wonderful captain here and I see future coach written all over him.
There was also a great emphasis on talking, calling and keeping heads up - Browne for example being told quite vehemently to do this. Bomber is keen to get early decision making and taking the first option quickly which I mentioned in the previous report when a player failed to dish off a handball. Bomber said "You don't have to move quick if you make early decisions."
Edwards showed calmness and nice disposal again.
Ashby is a better overhead mark than I realised - I saw him take two strong ones.
Joe is working on his defensive skills which included a long chase on Goddard through the centre of the grounds and Steinberg drilled a lovely forty metre pass. He looks physically impressive this year and will push for senior selection.
I thought Gregory was showing some glimpses in defence and made a couple of good decisions in heavy traffic.
Overall the mood today was excellent with a number of outbursts of laughter in the huddles. It could be that the players enjoyed having some supporters present.
I hope someone can complement this report with information on what happened on the main oval.

Thanks JM. It was good to catch up with you. Pity Tiff was otherwise occupied? Maybe she was preoccupied with those slippery crawly creatures amongst the rocks!   :)

I don't think I can overstate this.

Chappy.

CHAPPY!

Thanks Jackie, and Dave.