Travel Thread

Anyone been to Fiji and HAMILTON Island that could say which ones best for family holiday?

My brother has done both in the last 12 months with his wife and 2 kids and recommends Fiji. He said the prices are far cheaper in Fiji and has more activities for kids with many resorts having kids clubs. He said meals on HI were terribly expensive. He did say the beaches at both were a little underwhelming but Fiji has some decent ones on the outlying islands.

1 Like

Nice.

What part did they go or is the best?

We did the Warwick on the southern coast, and it was a long drive from the airport. Hotel was about 4 star. Don’t want to simply go back there, but it’s also a great price, all inclusive.

They stayed at the Outrigger Resort which is about an hour South of the airport

1 Like

Anyone in Sydney for the game going for a drink before the bounce tommorow!?

You’re a good man DJ (I was waiting for/expecting a few flame posts)

1 Like

I’m cultivating people to buy me a drink :wink:

1 Like

I’ve done both and Fiji is better for kids. The kids clubs are great everywhere and cheap or free (depending on your resort). The Fijian people look after your kids like they are their own.

There’s plenty of options relatively close to the airport in Fiji which are kid friendly. Denerau island in particular has a number of resorts all of which cater for kids. As ace says the beaches there (and generally on the main island) aren’t much chop but HI isn’t significantly better.

■■■■!

Didn’t work, people would prefer not to turn up!

Organising the flights to Southern Italy, Sicily and Malta, we’re finding ourselves with the prospect of a longish (11-12 hours) layover at Rome airport.

Bearing in mind that all the main tourist sites of Rome are covered in the tour, any suggestions for something to do for the day. End of October - flight arrives 9.20am, leaves at 8.45pm.

There are some half decent beaches around Ostia and the town itself is ok to wander around. If you are into ruins like I am then Ostia Antica is a must. About 40 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by taxi from the airport and there is some brilliantly preserved ruins that you could easily spend all day wandering about

1 Like

Trying to figure out transfers between Singapore to Legoland and then Legoland to Sentosa. Should we go price or convenience?

Private car is about $1100, bus is $350. But bus we need to get from our hotel to the stop and then on the way back we need to get from there to Sentosa and our hotel. Private car is obviously direct. We’ll have a 4yp and 10month old

Hey that sounds very expensive. We are off to Legoland this weekend. We have booked a private car - S$100 each way from Singapore. Happy to PM the company details if needed.

For the Sentosa leg my suggestion would be just to get a cab. Will you be bringing child seats? An alternative is Grab (Uber of Asia) who should offer cars with car seats.

1 Like

Those prices seem very high. Should only be about $100-120 each way by private transfer and this would definitely be my option with little ones

1 Like

We aren’t bringing car seats, what are the rules around them? Are they easily available? We would definitely prefer them

Thanks Aceman. I knew that if anyone had any good ideas, it would be you…not any of these Sicilian/Calabrian types we have here.

In taxis you don’t need car seats. We have gone very lax and don’t use any. But our kids are only normally in cabs for reasonably short rides and not every day. I am sure you could probably hire them although they would be expensive. Therefore I would look at the family options for Grab around Singapore, ie getting to Sentosa. For the Legoland transfer I assume the private hire companies will be able to provide seats - I will send you the name we are using.

1 Like

I am spending two weeks in Spain in early May; first in Barcelona and then at a golf resort near Barcelona at Sitges.

Have never been to Barcelona before, so any tips on what to do and where to go ?