Travel Thread

Greetings from Roma.

(Had to create a new account, could not remember my password :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

Went to Tivoli Gardens yesterday, was beautiful. Resting today, the flight seemed to be never ending.

Aussies on at 5pm here tomorrow, perfect time, will be watching having a few aperol’s at the bar.

10 Likes

Greetings Miss Ellie-have a great holiday. We’ll be watching from Dublin! Drove through Benburb today (Conor’s home town). Have loved Ireland- green fields, wild coastline & great pubs with friendly locals.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: Wow, we are virtually neighbours.

We will be in Ireland in August, so thanks for the info.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

On a plane flying to Cairns for a Conference with real WiFi !

Has anyone been to Hoi An in Vietnam?

Mrs Fox is going to a conference there in October and I am the handbag. So is there much to do and see

Haven’t been there for 18 years, but it was the place to get a shirt / suit / dress made up overnight. It was pretty touristy, but all contained in the atmospheric old-town, so didn’t feel over-developed. Pretty good food & shopping and a typical local market. I think it may be the jumping off point for battleground tours from the American War if that takes your fancy. Be aware that October is the start of Typhoon season in Central Vietnam & Hoi An can get flooded.

1 Like

Prices have risen there. My mate has just returned this week and a tailored shirt now costs $24. No tailors would budge below this price.

The Old Town of Hoi An is Disneyland on steroids. Do your research on the town tickets, which allow you to go to your choice of a certain number of attractions at a discount rate.

Trip to Mỹ Sơn is a must-do (typically half-day if on a tour, maybe combined with something else). It’s no Angkor, but the typical overcast conditions give it atmosphere and the ability of the “glued” bricks to survive is pretty amazing.

2 Likes

I love the homes in the area (not in the Old Town). Most are on slim terrace blocks, and with new money coming into the area so many are being rebuilt as miniature McMansions, often with a business of some sort on the lower level. There is soooo much variety, and surprisingly even the most ridiculous designs work in small portions.

Half hour delay but finally at Dubai and in the Emirates lounge. 37 degrees here at 6:30am and expected to reach 44 today. Thankfully fly out to Frankfurt in a few hours

Yeh mate was in Abu Dhabi a few weeks back, was 41 at 6.30am. Flaming love that heat :grin:

The Hoi An free bike tour is really good. You only pay a couple of bucks for expenses. The Uni students use it to practice their English.

1 Like

Hope you mean they do the pedalling !

During the day is ok, we went in July when it reached 48 and 49. It’s when you go outside at night that kills you.

Where are you staying in Frankfurt. Will need 3 nights there next month.
& is it Central

Intercontinental.
Not in a bad spot, right on the river with decent views and about 400m to the main train station. Like all of Germany their rail system is great. Plenty of interesting things to see within walking distance. The hotel is starting to show its age a little but was still comfortable and chose it because of the location and car parking. 3 days is about all you need in Frankfurt

I stayed at a very old hotel across the road from the station.

Walking distance from the main part of town and about 2km from the main square (the RĂśmerberg?).

Surprised it wasn’t destroyed in WW2. It seemed to predate it.

It was our first day in Europe. I wouldn’t be recommending it in a hurry.

We go to Frankfurt regularly on business and we now never stay in the City. Too expensive and a bit sterile. We stay out in smaller Towns, look for 4 star smaller Hotels on train line ( most are). Good prices and much nicer.

Leaving Nice for Spain today.

Nice has been lovely, looking forward to see what Spain is like now.

Hope everyone on BB is well :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes