Travel Thread

Any tips for things to do in Boston? Headed their for Harvard in October and January (dreading the latter, due to the weather).

Freedom Trail is a good walk.

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Boston Common and the Cheers pub (Bull’n’Finch IIRC). But Cheers is a long time ago now.

And don’t forget that when you get to Harvard, they’ll laugh at you for stuffing up between “their” and “there”.

2 Likes

Find Denny Crane!

1 Like

Sorry, answered question about snorkelling, not scuba diving.

1 Like

You could try to check out a baseball game (October which would be play offs) at Fenway or do a tour if that interests you. Otherwise catch the patriots (nfl) or bruins (nhl) play.

If you’ve got kids, want a cheapish holiday, don’t mind cheesey and minnimal refits in decor from the 80s, can I recommend to you the paradise resort on the Gold Coast.
Only if you’ve got a sense of humour.

http://www.paradiseresort.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_3DtLS33AIVg7aWCh3mvAB8EAAYASAAEgL3I_D_BwE

Anyone here been to Morroco? If so what were your thoughts?

I left Morroco a few days ago. It was an experience for me, certainly was not the romantic view I had. Rabat was bleak and depressing (hotel was nice, thank goodness). Casablanca was similar to Rabat, didn’t see Bogie or Bergman😉, but they did have a Rick’s Cafe (set up by an American woman in the 90’s. Only got a pic as was not open).

Went to Marrakech from there, liked it more than the other 2 places, apart from the oppressive heat, was more of what I expected Morroco to be.

10th century Medina, snake charmers, men with monkies, hawkers, and so many people, lots of noise and I don’t know how some of them make money selling their wares, as after a while the wares seem to blend in with each other. I did manage to buy a little silver teapot though🙂.

Went to Fes after that, what a city, new and old and ancient. The Medina in Fes is 9th century, what an experience that was. 9000 little streets full of vendors, would never have ventured in without a guide, so easy to get lost and never be seen again. As you walk the narrow streets (just like you see in the movies) if a donkey carrying wares is coming through they call out balak, balak, so you can make way for them.

Saw some beautiful mosques while travelling and had mint tea, homemade cookies and cake in clay hut owned by a Berber woman. The difference between the have and have not’s is immense.

All the places where full of stray cats, do not know what breed they are, very skinny, some diseased, but no one seemed to concerned about them, did ask about them, apparently something to do re religion.

While it was an experience would not go back.

(Currently in Madrid, feel more at home here, sangria, tapas and paella🙂)

6 Likes

Skipping stones in the Daintree.

5 Likes

Surely you’ll have to pretend to be Cameron in front of the dots painting?

1 Like

Never been, but sounds like my kinda place.

1 Like

Arrived in Prague this arvo to a 37 degree day after a very pleasant drove from Berlin. Prague is still just as beautiful as I remembered it. Has been far too long since the last visit. Only 2 nights here before heading to Vienna via Cesky Krumlov and Mathausen

1 Like

On behalf of everyone here

■■■■ you

Ps I hope you’re having fun

3 Likes

I’m thinking of taking a six week tour of the UK and Europe in Sept 19. It will be me and my two kids (who will be 15 and 13). While there is heaps I would like I am worried the kids may get Castle/Museum overload. Would be grateful for any advice from people with this sort of experience.

Anyone here been to Orlando/Miami? Outside of Disneyworld, are there any MUST see/do’s? WIll probably have a week there in January.

PM Tinhill.

Anyone done any cruises through the Panama Canal? I’d rather bypass the USA while that ■■■■ is in power, but most of them seem to go from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. Some do Cozumel and Acapulco at the start and end points.

Cartagena in Colombia is said to be a great place to visit. Wouldn’t want to miss that. Some cruises seem to go through the Canal and then come straight back the other way…say Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale. Could alway drop in and see if Travis McGee is still on his houseboat, The Busted Flush, but seeing all the Travis McGee books were written in the 60s and 70s, maybe not. The fact that he’s a fictional character might be against that too.

Most of the US-based ones seem to be 10-13 days. Not sure I could handle cruises too much longer than that. 20 days maybe.

Daytona Beach and Cape Canaveral on the Atlantic Coast.
Down the Keys might be a go. Trips into the Everglades on an airboat.
Art deco sights in South Beach.

I’ve done a tour of Florida (back in '94) but we only finished in Miami (airport).

We started in Orlando (yeah…just the theme parks)
Tampa/St Pete
Sarasota
Naples
Port of the Everglades
then a couple of days in Key West (breaks on Key Largo and Marathon)

yes, was in Orlando last month. I think the best thing in the area is NASA at Cape Canaveral. It is a full day’s worth of visiting. Can get a bus tour to take you there, or of course, drive.
There are theme parks in Orlando of course, but not much for grown-ups.

Groovy, Im big on nature stuff so parks and beaches and that. Kids will want to do Disney and I reckon Cape Canaveral for sure.

Take your tropical strength Aerogard. Mosquitoes are as big as pigeons, but maybe not such an issue in January.

If you’re big on nature, the Everglades is a must, but find out a bit about it before you go. The Army Corps of Engineers all but destroyed the whole ecology when they built one of those roads crossing Florida from East to West…either the Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley. They had to put culverts under the road to allow drainage because the Everglades is said to be a river (of grass) with an incredibly small gradient.