Travel Thread

@Aceman why didn’t you go to the hungaroring. Danric always kills it there.

Unfortunately our plans didn’t match up in sync and we don’t head into Hungary until Saturday. I’m trying to convince the wife to head back into the Czech Republic on Sunday for the Moto GP but not having any luck. I’ve already got tickets to a couple of Juve games including Ronnie’s debut aswell as a few United EPL games so don’t want to push my luck lol

I’m dreaming of getting to assan assuming F1 doesn’t ruin the track.

That’s great you went Cesky Krumlov. I loved that place.

It seems like it’s all compatible now. PASMO can work in Kansai tapping on IC or PiTaPa.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

I’m not much of a ramen connoisseur, I just tend to eat it whenever wherever, generally I think most places do a passable one, and there are thousands everywhere.
With shopping, do you mean for a stroll window shopping in a nice traditional environment, or actually a good selection of shops like in a shopping mall?

I’ll have a better think when I get the chance and let you know.

Edit: just doing some looking in Japanese. Fukushima, one stop from Umeda in Osaka anti-clockwise on the JR loop, has a concentration of highly rated ramen places. A busy area just off the hub, but less tourists. Kyoto seems a bit more spread.

1 Like

These photos aren’t easy to look at but thanks for posting. I haven’t been there but have been to Auschwitz, Phnom Penh Killing fields and Gallipoli. There is a particular uneasy feeling you get I reckon which is reserved for these sites. Each to their own and I understand why some people choose not to attend.

2 Likes

Yeah, I assume we will get a National JR Pass unless there is a cheaper Tokyo / Kansai JR Pass that will do.
It will be my daughter’s 1st trip to Japan, so will head to Himeji if she is interested. Is it doable as a day trip from Kyoto? We went there in 2002 between Kyoto & Hiroshima & enjoyed it, but I don’t recall overnighting.

I’d like her to see the Peace Museum in Hiroshima, but its probably too far out of our way - I think I’d prefer to keep it to Tokyo / Kansai / Kii Peninsular this time.

It’s probably about 1.5 hours from Kyoto on the Shinkansen, so definitely a day trip, no need to stay. Otherwise, for a first time visitor Osaka Castle is impressive enough. Yeah, it’s wise not to overdo it and soak up a few key areas in one trip.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts.

With regards to shopping we want more like that cooking / restaurant supply street as opposed to the mega shopping centre. We don’t want brands, we want more local if that makes sense.

Ah ok. Kind of like Doguyasuji in Osaka/Namba, have you been there?

Yeah I have. I bought myself knife sharpening blocks and a frypan for making rolled egg omlette.

1 Like

Tenjinbashisuji in Osaka might be worth a look. It’s pretty central and said to be the longest “shotengai” in the country. Shops of all kinds.

1 Like

That’s the kind of thing we’re looking for!

1 Like

We did Cesky Krumlov last year on the way from Prague to Vienna.

Also went to Dachau and Auschwitz.

2 nights in Vienna, I love the place but found the people a lot more abrupt than on last visits. Still had a good time even though the prices have gone through the roof and not helped by our rubbish dollar. First evening we just went for a wander along the Danube canal and had dinner and a few beers at a pretty cool cafe. The second day we walked just over 15km, walked into the area around the Ringstrasse to see the regular sights such as the Stephensdom, Hofsburg Palace and on to the Museum Quarter. We decided to go to a beaut little Schnapps factory that we had visited before and that was about 4.5km so we decided to walk. On arrival we found out they no longer open to regulars and is tour bus only unfortunately and as we were halfway to the Schönbrunner we kept going. Walked around there for maybe an hour or so even making it to the top of the hill. We could see a Thunderstorm approaching so walked briefly down to the nearest train station just as the rain bucketed down. Apparently had been nearly a month since the last rain and the locals seemed in a far better mood with its arrival. Went down to the night markets and had some dinner which turned into several drinks and stumbled back to the Motel a few hours before the Hawks game kicked off. Stayed at the Mercure Wien City, not a bad room and had a good breakfast buffet. Location was brilliant though, only a 10 minutes walk into the heart of town and only 50m from the Danube canal and all the bars and eateries you could ever wish for.

4 Likes

Vienna was just about the dearest place I went to when backpacking around Europe 23 years ago.
Good to see nothing’s changed…

We stayed at a hotel on the Ringstrasse.

Did the full tour of the Schönbrunn
Had the famous Sachertorte at Hotel Sacher
Went over to the Prater and rode the Wiener Riesenrad (the Ferris Wheel featured in The Third Man)

Can’t remember what we did on the Saturday morning.

Last time I was there in 1989, we went to the Spanish Riding School.

Yep, most expensive we have been to so far. Far more expensive than Berlin.
The meals all are fairly pricey then they add in sales tax, service tax and then still expect hefty tips

If you are thinking about Hiroshima, just check that the museum is open as when we were there in April they were doing renovations to the main building (smaller section of the museum was still open and still impressive but I expect the larger museum would be better).

In Osaka, definitely do Osaka castle (I reckon you can easily do a whole day there if you like to immerse yourself in the history). Make sure you pop into the Kuromon Ichiba market and if you are in that area (Namba) I would recommend Fukutaro for okonomiyaki. The Osaka aquarium would be about the best aquarium I have ever been to if you are into that sort of thing.

2 Likes

We expected a steepish cost at Hotel Sacher, but it is iconic so expected. 18 euros for coffee and cake.

Had a good Wiener schnitzel at the hotel…wasn’t too expensive…25 plus Euros, including sides.