Travel Thread

I know, right? Aceman’s basically doing my whole itinerary when I backpacked in 2006. Most of my favourite cities and towns in the world.

1 Like

I’ve done most of them on a couple occasions when I was younger and a couple of them with my wife a few years back but some of them it was the first time we had both visited together

We arrived in Paris late this afternoon (I can’t believe I’m in Paris :slightly_smiling_face:).

Staying in the Opera district at Hotel Regina. It’s a very cute hotel, it’s main colour scheme is red black and grey, it’s very French with touches of modern. Going to tour Versailles Saturday, which I am looking forward to.

Think may do the Louvre tomorrow as it’s raining and think showers forecast for tomorrow.

I can’t believe I’m in Paris. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Yeah, my wife hasn’t seen much of Europe, so I hope to revisit many when the kids get older.

Love the pics and updates, thanks for sharing.

Salzburg currently after arriving yesterday. 2 nights at the Mercure Salzburg City. Not a bad hotel at all, rooms very comfy and had a meal there last night due to late arrival and it was top notch. Parking like most European hotels is a PITA as most slug you an extra €10-30 per night. Hotel was about a 10 minute walk to Centrum and the river with the old town lying on the other side of the river. Have driven through or past a couple of times but this is my first stop in the City and must say it’s a cracking little City. Having not ever seen the Sound of Music I had no idea of the history behind it but my wife took great delight in filling me in on the various locations the movie was filmed in. Nice little compact place and easy to see most of the sights in a day.
On to Munich tomorrow with timing permitted a couple of diversions along the way

7 Likes

Don’t know if they still do it in Salzburg, but don’t challenge any of the outdoor chess-players (on those supersize boards painted on the concrete) to a game - they are bandits!
I did in one of the squares there (my travelling buddy and I had played a heap of chess over the space of a couple of months’ travelling and so fancied ourselves…) and got positively smashed to bits. Very little else as humbling as having your ■■■■ comprehensively handed to you in a public forum with people oohing & aaahing and chortling in a language you don’t speak…

1 Like

Anyone been to Kyoto and can recommend a place for a family to stay in the old town? Looking for one of those guest house or traditional styles places to stay.

Just booked flights to Europe for next June. A month if travelling around Italy, France and Malta. Fark you canberra winter.

7 Likes

Up early to beat the hoardes of tourists for our visit to Kehlsteinhaus or more commonly “The Eagles Nest”. Only a short drive from Salzburg and had some beautiful scenery on the way to Obersalzberg. Picked up our tickets at the and was lucky enough to only have to wait about 15 minutes for the next bus up. Had a quick long around and took in the views and was quite eerie walking down the long tunnel and seeing some of the relics inside the building. The gaudy fireplace given to Hitler by Mussolini was as tacky as you will see. We didn’t stay long as the crowds of Japanese tourists started flooding in.
image image image image image image image
After leaving the Eagles nest we continued towards Munich and as the game against the Saints had started I had the wife drive whilst I watched the game on the IPad. We made pretty good time to Munich so decided another trip to Dachau was on the cards.
Some new exhibits since last time but still a pretty sobering afternoon.

2 Likes

Munich was just an overnight stop over as we had both been there several times and we just needed somewhere to crash the night.
Mercure Munich City Center was our hotel and the added bonus was a barber shop across the road. One of my peculiar traits is I love a good barber shave and don’t go more than a fortnight at home without one. Had been nearly 2 weeks since the last so was more than happy. Went for a walk into town and went to the Hofbrauhaus for dinner which is our favourite and always on the to do list in Munich. Finished dinner in just enough time to find a bar and watch the EPL.

4 Likes

If your still in Paris I highly recommend you spend an evening in a the piano bar sacre coeur, you won’t regret it

2 Likes

Needed to skip the Melbourne winter so booked ad hoc flights to the Greek Islands and Croatia from Monday.

Cant get enough of the islands. Beach and booze on the agenda.

4 Likes

Stayed in a place above a pottery studio owned by Takushi Haraguchi. Lovely people, got taken on a tour to some sites in Kyoto and he drew a little map for us advising where to walk around the area. Pretty basic place but decent accommodation for the price.

3 Likes

View from the Eagle’s Nest was about 10 metres when we were there last year.

I had to rewatch the last ep of Band of Brothers to see it in all its glory.

1 Like

Looks like a good location. About 15 minutes walking in each direction to Gion, Kiyomizu, Sanjusangendo?

Own bathroom is good too, navigating the shared bath facilities can be tricky or undesirable for visitors.

Thanks @paddy29.

Arrived in England about 5 days ago, had nearly forgotten how much I like England. (It’s been 10 years since I was here last).

Went to local cricket today, to watch Warmsworth Cricket Club (in Yorkshire) who were playing Whitley Hall. One of the lads playing for Warmsworth is Aussie. Small world he plays for White Hills when in Oz, which is a Bendigo and District Club and he knows my son :slightly_smiling_face: ( through cricket and is about the same age). (I know @jonny_mac who posts sometimes plays for White Hills, may know him also). He made 112 for the day and the team won the match, which was really good as when we arrived the score was 3 for 14. They then went on to make 235.

Heading to London tomorrow, then heading to Ireland the following day.

Am starting to get a bit homesick now, (am really missing my dog too)but know our trip is coming to an end soon. New York, Las Vegas after after Ireland then home. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Have been a bit busy but have finally managed a few spare moments to report on the trip. We got up very early and headed from Munich to Fussen. My 2 previous visits to Neuschwanstein had resulted in not obtaining tickets so I had prebooked them online months earlier this time. The place was still packed when we got to the village and having been given an allotted time to start the tour we went for a bit of a wander and had a coffee. The line up for buses and horse carriages to the top were astronomical so we decided we would walk it. The day was pretty warm but under the shade of the trees it wasn’t too strenuous and we got to the top with plenty of time still to spare. Unfortunately no photos allowed inside and the tour guide was quite forthright and even threatened to deliver a Japanese tourist to the police for even attempting a sneaky pic. The place is amazing.

Another small walk up to the Marienbrucke which offered stunning views of the castle.

We were a little pushed for time so didn’t do the tour of Hohenschwangau but managed a couple of pics

5 Likes

The drive was Fussen to Innsbruck was along some beautiful mountain scenery but unfortunately it started raining quite heavily up at the Fern Pass and our view of Zugspitze was pretty much obscured. We had booked the Goldener Adler in Innsbruck which unbeknownst to me was right in the middle of the old town and is car free after 9am. We parked at the nearest public parking which was about 300m away and hauled our luggage across the cobblestones to the hotel.
Absolutely fantastic hotel with plenty of heritage and had a wonderful meal there that night.
Hotel Goldener Adler

Innsbruck is a great little city with a stunning backdrop and would have loved to spend a little more time there but was on a tight schedule as the rental car was due back the following day.

5 Likes

Been finding booking places in Japan has been easier through Qantas Hotels. Often have the same place, similar rates, but no cancelation frees.

And it doesn’t seem to track me and hike prices each time I visit.

Expensive AF though.

3 Likes