Travel Thread

Arrived Vegas 3 days ago, it’s very over the top and the first day here, thought, I want to go home.

It’s grown on me however and now see it as a place to come to for an escape.

Flight for home at 6am tomorrow, looking forward to coming home.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wifey and I were in Vegas last year and I loved it, would go back in a heartbeat. And this is from someone who never, ever wanted to go there.

1 Like

Just arrived Johannesburg to kick off a three week trip to RSA.

5 Likes

vegas is the sort of place id like to go to just so that i can satisfy myself that places like vegas actually do exist

1 Like

Early stages of planning for a holiday next year. Looking at Hungary and Croatia and a dip of the toe into Montenegro over 4-5 weeks around June. Got a workmate giving me tips (he’s from Budapest) but I’d be keen to hear any ideas/pointers from any Blitzers who’ve been.

1 Like

Be careful; I lived there for six months and it is a place where you need to be aware and alert.

1 Like

So Tokyo is probably the most intense place I’ve been. Just so many people. Was able to duck out for a quiet beer and some bbq, in a little place called Pis.s Alley. It’s a few dozen ramshackle bars/bbq places where you’d be lucky to sit more than a dozen people in each.

https://i.imgur.com/nsNT2zW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Haven’t seen much graffiti in Tokyo, but this was my favourite.

https://i.imgur.com/XsT4TwG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Grilled fish on the go
image https://i.imgur.com/IGmlvKG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

About 2 min after this the place was full.

image https://i.imgur.com/TuB5P0g_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

11 Likes

I was in Montenegro a couple of years ago and it is stunning and I wouldn’t hesitate to return. I encourage anyone going to Croatia and especially to Dubrovnik to make sure that they make the time to get to Montenegro and stay in Kotor. Amazing accom with immediate views of the water available on airbnb. A beautiful place and June will be great for swimming.
Also used airbnb to get a place in Dubrovnik and loved being in the old city and again would return tomorrow. Also liked Split which gets a rough run and Trogir is small but again stunning.
If you can find a day or two then definitely get to Mostar in Bosnia. Great people and food and a city that is a mix of old world beauty and the ravages of war. Incredible and sad recent history and the amazing bridge. We hired a car and drove from Slovenia, through Zagreb, down the coast, staying in a couple of places and then Split and then into Bosnia to Mostar, Sarajevo and down to Kotor. Then on to Dubrovnik. Would recommend the lot, unbelievably awesome.
I was in Hungary 20 years ago and loved and wanted to return but ran out of time so I’m sure that you will love that as as well. Great part of Europe, enjoy.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to my hood. :grin:

1 Like

Well, it’s a very nice place! It gets ■■■■■■ busy as the night rolls in.

Is there anything/anywhere you can recommend I MUST take kids?

( did a hedgehog cafe which they lived, but they seem to prefer hanging in the hotel)

How old are your kids, THT?

9 and 11

We did a big trip around the states myself and 3 friends. We went to vegas twice. Once on a quick trip for a ufc event just two days one night. Then went back for a good party and I agree it’s way too full on. It grows after a while but they went back for another week at the end and I could stand the idea so I went to San Fransisco and Seattle for the the week best decision I ever made. It’s fun in small doses but to hectic

1 Like

For Croatia, my first suggestion would be make sure you get to Plitvice Lakes. To do this, we stayed in Zadar, which is a small, but beautiful walled city. From there you can catch a bus (they’re rather frequent) and it only takes about 1 hour. I think a lot of people go from Split, or even Dubrovnik, but I honestly think it’s too far away.

If you go to Split, you can visit some of the islands (such as Hvar, from which you can visit the Blue Cave), and Krka National Park. You can actually swim at Krka if you so desire, whereas at Plitvice no one is allowed in the water.

2 Likes

Are you still in Tokyo, THT? Rainy day. Onsen may be good. There is one in Tokyo. Indoor rockclimbing/bouldering also a fun option for the kids. There are heaps of indoor game centres.

Just been hitting the shops. Place is relatively ‘quiet’ once it’s raining.

Booze (spirits) are soooooo cheap here.

You like craft beer, right? Unfortunately beer in Japan is priced like back home, but Tokyo is teeming with good beer bars if you can escape the family for a bit.

Have you tried the Batting Cages?

I want to try but i feel a bit old for wanting to try!

Have been hitting up a few Japanese bbq joints and bars while the kids are busy.

Some of their generic beer isn’t so bad either, each big label seems to have a few premium ones which we don’t get in AU.

1 Like